E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
Steve Leadbeater
Jonesy
6 posters

IJF honours footballer Ronaldinho

Jonesy
    Jonesy

IJF honours footballer Ronaldinho Empty IJF honours footballer Ronaldinho

Post by Jonesy Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:33 pm

I find this bizarre in the extreme.

"IJF - International Judo Federation President Mr. Marius Vizer awarded the IJF symbol, a special statue of judo founder Jigoro Kano, to Confederação Brasileira de Futebol football legend Ronaldinho Gaúcho as 'one of the most important footballers of all time'.
    The former FC Barcelona, PSG - Paris Saint-Germain & A.C. Milan forward is a FIFA World Cup winner & 2-time FIFA World Player of the Year."

IJF honours footballer Ronaldinho Vizer%20and%20Ronaldinhio

Last edited by Jonesy on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

IJF honours footballer Ronaldinho Empty Re: IJF honours footballer Ronaldinho

Post by Steve Leadbeater Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Why ??
    Old Chestnut

Post by Old Chestnut Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:12 am

Mastery of ashi-waza probably.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:13 am

Ronaldinho is not very known for his ukemi skills though. Tends to keep mostly upright.

Viser has owned and managed football clubs
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:16 am

Steve Leadbeater wrote:Why ??

Are you asking why did he make the presentation or why the OP finds it bizarre?

Frankly I too find it bizarre.
    Seems rather pointless for a Sport governing body to give out awards for achievement in anything other than the sport they govern. Who in Judo gives a toss what Ronaldinho's football achievements are? (Well.... Besides Vizer... )

This smacks of Vizer abusing his position in the IJF to seek out a photo op with his football hero's. I don't find this reflects well on either sport. What could it possibly mean to a football star that a bunch of Judo people think he's good at Football?

Are FIFA officials going to be giving Teddy Riner an award for achievement in Judo? Do they even know who he is?

Frankly I'm not keen on the idea of heads of sports handing out made-up awards to people from other sports in return for what? More of the same? It'll just turn into a circle jerk of mutual but meaningless congratulations. Nothing but a waste of time and resources, meager as it may be.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:31 am

Y-Chromosome wrote:
    Steve Leadbeater wrote:Why ??

Are you asking why did he make the presentation or why the OP finds it bizarre?

Frankly I too find it bizarre.
    Seems rather pointless for a Sport governing body to give out awards for achievement in anything other than the sport they govern.  Who in Judo gives a toss what Ronaldinho's football achievements are? (Well.... Besides Vizer... )

This smacks of Vizer abusing his position in the IJF to seek out a photo op with his football hero's.  I don't find this reflects well on either sport.  What could it possibly mean to a football star that a bunch of Judo people think he's good at Football?

Are FIFA officials going to be giving Teddy Riner an award for achievement in Judo?  Do they even know who he is?

Frankly I'm not keen on the idea of heads of sports handing out made-up awards to people from other sports in return for what?  More of the same?  It'll just turn into a circle jerk of mutual but meaningless congratulations.  Nothing but a waste of time and resources, meager as it may be.

That is exactly the reason I said ""WHY""
    Udon
    Udon

Post by Udon Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Mr. Vizier is a businessman, not a judo man. I'm sure he sees some benefit (for him )in presenting the award. Time will tell.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:51 pm