E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Syd Hoare History of Judo

Hissho

Syd Hoare History of Judo Empty Syd Hoare History of Judo

Post by Hissho Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:41 am

I had a copy of Syd Hoare's https://www.amazon.com/History-Judo-Syd-Hoare/dp/095604980X/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490560684&sr=1-6&keywords=syd+hoare a while back - I sold or traded it and am kicking myself looking at this ridiculous Amazon price.

My thoughts at the time were that it was interesting and had a lot of stuff I had not seen before, but there were no sources for the information provided, so was not sure how to take it.

Interested in comments from the research cadre here on the information in the book...
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Syd Hoare History of Judo Empty Re: Syd Hoare History of Judo

Post by Jonesy Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:48 am

Hissho wrote:I had a copy of Syd Hoare's https://www.amazon.com/History-Judo-Syd-Hoare/dp/095604980X/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490560684&sr=1-6&keywords=syd+hoare a while back - I sold or traded it and am kicking myself looking at this ridiculous Amazon price.

My thoughts at the time were that it was interesting and had a lot of stuff I had not seen before, but there were no sources for the information provided, so was not sure how to take it.

Interested in comments from the research cadre here on the information in the book...
    It's a great book - Syd Hoare is the real deal - 1964 Judo Olympian, 8 dan, fluent Japanese speaker. I was privileged to collaborate a bit with him, and have a signed copy of this and other books he wrote.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:40 am

I liked his "A slow boat to Yokohama - A Judo Odyssey" more.

His history of Judo is fairly Kodokan oriented and as said could benefit from references. IMHO Judo spread even before 1st WW and was already influential between WWI and WWII in many countries. Also lots need to be discussed on IJF and EJU. In addition the women's Judo and the workers judo need more work.

But for handy reference of what happened in judo in Japan the book is invaluable.

P.S. I would not believe the price if I were you.
    Hissho

Post by Hissho Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:56 am

Yeah kicking myself I let that one go... As I recall there was some interesting info on judo combat training.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:13 am

If you look at the beasts mouth Syd Hoare site

You find that you still can purchase at reasonable price. Maybe this is the reason AMAZON does not want to sellit at their site.
    Hissho

Post by Hissho Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:23 pm

I get a security - malware warning when I click on that link....
    frank raud

Post by frank raud Thu May 11, 2017 7:49 am

finarashi wrote:If you look at the beasts mouth Syd Hoare site

You find that you still can purchase at reasonable price. Maybe this is the reason AMAZON does not want to sellit at their site.

I ordered a copy from that site before you posted about it. Never received any acknowledgement or confirmation of order. Went to Paypal and just got a refund.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:03 pm