E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
Steve Leadbeater
finarashi
6 posters

Kani basami

justcurious

Kani basami Empty Kani basami

Post by justcurious Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Can anyone tell me when kani basami was banned from competition judo (I really need a reference for an article I am writing). Also, does anyone know of any published articles on the dangers of this throw. Thank you.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Kani basami Empty Re: Kani basami

Post by finarashi Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:37 pm

I do not know when was kani-basami banned, from memory it was 1980s.
    In "Kodokan Judo : Throwing techniques" by Daigo, Toshirō (1926 - ), transl. by White, Francoise, Tokyo, Japan, Kodansha Europe, 2005, 285p, ISBN 4770023308 at page 282 it is explained that banning of the throw was caused by "high profile incident" at 1980 Men All Japan selected Championships. It also adds that injury rate by this technique is very high.
    Google search "yasuhiro yamashita kani basami" will give you the video Yamashita vs. Endo with unfortunate end.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:41 pm

It was banned after Yamashitas ankle was broken by a Kani Basami Attack.
    davidn

Post by davidn Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:35 am

From wikipedia:

Yamashita went into the final of the 1980 All Japan championships as the favorite, but Endo put Yamashita in a Kani Basami, breaking Yamashita's fibula.[2] The match was declared a draw even though Yamashita was hurt and unable to continue. Kani Basami had been a legal move until the match, but the seriousness of Yamashita's injury caused officials to prohibit its use in international competitions.

NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:26 pm

The pressure in the technique is considerable but the fall is safe enough.
    Yamashita decided not to take the fall, hence his injury.
    Since he was a Japanese favorite, rather than say, hey, he got what he deserved, he needed to protect himself, the decision was to ban the technique.
    justcurious

Post by justcurious Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.
    Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:39 am

Are you sure kani basami was banned in the early '80s? Beacuse in this 1994 video, Hidehiko Yoshida tries a kani basami. https://youtu.be/NDRFKfQihO0?t=65
    justcurious

Post by justcurious Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:08 am

Emanuele2 wrote:Are you sure kani basami was banned in the early '80s? Beacuse in this 1994 video, Hidehiko Yoshida tries a kani basami. https://youtu.be/NDRFKfQihO0?t=65

According to Daigo's book (referred to with thanks by Finarashi, above): "The Kodokan Judo refereeing rules state that the allowance or prohibition of kani-basami is decided at each contest" although the IJF banned it outright. I wonder whether the Yoshida bout was fought under Kodokan, rather than IJF rules?

Which leads me to ask another question. Does anyone know whether the Kodokan still decides whether to allow or prohibit this throw on a contest-by-contest basis?
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Kani Basami is a technique that was banned in competition after Yamashita had his Fibula broken by Endo...........however it is still part of the curricilum, and is found in the Shinmeisho no Waza, and as such, it is still a technique where the correct learning thereof is required.
    davidn

Post by davidn Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:52 pm

justcurious wrote:
    Emanuele2 wrote:Are you sure kani basami was banned in the early '80s? Beacuse in this 1994 video, Hidehiko Yoshida tries a kani basami. https://youtu.be/NDRFKfQihO0?t=65

According to Daigo's book (referred to with thanks by Finarashi, above): "The Kodokan Judo refereeing rules state that the allowance or prohibition of kani-basami is decided at each contest" although the IJF banned it outright. I wonder whether the Yoshida bout was fought under Kodokan, rather than IJF rules?

Which leads me to ask another question. Does anyone know whether the Kodokan still decides whether to allow or prohibit this throw on a contest-by-contest basis?

For a number of years, the Kodokan used their own rules. The video in question is from the All Japan Championships, which used a separate set of rules (the 2 that come to mind is that kani basami is legal and there is no koka, so no surprise you see kani basami) at the time. A few years back (I was told this, I don't know exactly when), the Kodokan decided they would just use the IJF rules.
    Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:10 am

davidn wrote:A few years back (I was told this, I don't know exactly when), the Kodokan decided they would just use the IJF rules.
    In 2011.

BTW, thanks for the answers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:43 am