E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Refereing

dodge

Refereing Empty Refereing

Post by dodge Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:29 am

As a now retired judoka I am quite shocked at the standards and decisions made on the mat nowadays I see local refs and Olympic standard refs giving scores that in my day the early eighties you would never have seen ippons for drop knee seio nage rollovers? Etc etc I thought ippon was meant to be power control and flat on your back as a bjc ibc member I was quite shocked when I graded at the budokwai for my bja Dan grade at the to put it politely loose scoring. For guys that train for the top to be knocked out of a major comp for a badly judged score is in my mind unforgivable. Any comments guys and girls?
    JFTW

Refereing Empty Re: Refereing

Post by JFTW Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:24 am

dodge wrote:....For guys that train for the top to be knocked out of a major comp for a badly judged score is in my mind unforgivable. Any comments guys and girls?

These days it is almost impossible to be “knocked out of a major comp for a badly judged score”.

This is due to the fact that at major comps they use video replay for refereeing. If there is a scenario where a difficult scoring decision needs to be made, they stop the match review video from all angles and award proper score.... based on current scoring criteria.
    dodge

Post by dodge Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 am

I've not seen any contests stopped for review I've seen a few where corner judges have overidden the principal referee my main gripe is the quality or lack of it for major points obviously a hold or Submission is pretty straightforward but a lot of ippon calls for throws in my view are just not ippons any older judoka want to comment of the change/looseness of scoring In the last thirty years I would be interested
    justcurious

Post by justcurious Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:39 pm

dodge wrote:I've not seen any contests stopped for review I've seen a few where corner judges have overidden the principal referee my main gripe is the quality or lack of it for major points obviously a hold or Submission is pretty straightforward  but a lot of ippon calls for throws in my view are just not ippons any older judoka want to comment of the change/looseness of scoring In the last thirty years I would be interested
    It is now far easier under IJF rules to score, even ippon. I agree with you that many of these so-called techniques would not have scored anything years ago but things have changed, in my opinion, not always for the better. The score that bothers me most is where tori attacks but loses his/her balance and uki manages to push him/her onto their back. Ippon for that????
    dodge

Post by dodge Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:21 am

Yes my point exactly I wouldn't bother with the sport side now imagine training six days a week to be knocked on your butt for wazari I once had an ippon scored against me half way through the air from a seoi nage it didn't matter that I twisted out of it by the time I landed. Used to put in three nights on the mat three on the weights and running imagine how I felt about that call!! By the way anybody still training at Yokohama judo clubs?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:35 pm