E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+5
Joseph Svinth
Jonesy
Tsurumaki
Creamy creamy baileys
Judo Dad
9 posters

Judo Downunder

Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Judo Downunder Empty Judo Downunder

Post by Judo Dad Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:23 am

Much of the history of Judo in Australia is being lost. I would like to hear from people about 20th Century Australian Judo; about clubs that have come and gone and the good old days. By putting this informationon on the forum it will help to preserve some history and provide leads for further enquiry. study

Last edited by CelestialTeapot on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Emoticon)
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Judo Downunder Empty Re: Judo Downunder

Post by Judo Dad Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:06 pm

For what it is worth here is a draft of a Chronology of Judo Organisations in Australia I have been putting together, any constructve help appreciated

· Judo Federation of Australia (JFA) founded. Queensland represented by Messrs V G Allen and Cliff Duncan; NSW by Mr Ernest Chambers; Victoria by Mr Ivan Zavetchanos; Western Australia by Mr Andy Fleming; and South Australia by Mr Moss Hollis. (Herrmann 2011; VAJU 2011)
    · International Judo Federation (I.J.F.) founded (VAJU 2011)

· Victorian Amateur Judo Union established (VAJU 2011)

· West Australian Amateur Judo Federation formed by Messrs Mr Andrew Fleming, Joe Podvrsnik and Jim Connor. (Robertson 2011)
    · Oceania Judo Union (OJU) founded. Australia represented by Mr Ivan Zavetchanos (VAJU 2011)
    · Mr Ivan Zavetchanos elected President of the IJF (1958 -1969) (VAJU 2011)
    · Mr Ivan Zavetchanos elected Vice President of the IJF (1970 -1979) (VAJU 2011)

· South Australian Kodokan Judo Association Incorporated (SAKJAI) formed under the guidance of Messrs Moss Hollis and John Carter.
    · Three VAJU members lodge complaints against VAJU management with the JFA (Cox 2011)

· AAJA formed?
    · JAWA formed (Robertson 2011)

· Australian Coaching Council (ACC) established as an initiative of the Minister for Youth, Sport and Recreation. (Herrmann 2011)

· Split in the JFA-WA, formation of the Judo Association of W.A. (JAWA), which then affiliates with the AAJA.
    · ACC asks the Technical Director of the JFA, Mr Ivan Zavetchanos to develop a National Judo Coaching Scheme. (Herrmann 2011)
    · VAJU Expelled from JFA (VAJU 2011)

· JFA(Vic) formed (Cox 2011)
    · AAJA amalgamated with JFA (Robertson 2011)

· Kodokan Judo Assocation(SA) and VAJU form Australian Kodokan Judo Association (AKJA), later joined by the Western Australian Kodokan Judo Association(WAKJA) and then other states
    · Call to impeach the JFA(Vic) committee, JFA(Vic) split (Cox 2011)
    · Legal proceedings in South Australia (Action No. 442 of 1987). Costs incurred leave JFA(Vic) with legal debt of $220 000(JVI. 2008)

· Extraordinary General Meeting held to recombine JFA(Vic) factions. JFA(Vic) chaired by an appointee of the State Department of Sport and Recreation. (Cox 2011)
    · JFA(Vic) constitution re-written and JFA(Vic) incorporated under the name Judo Victoria Inc (JVI). (Cox 2011) Legal debts continue.
    President of NSW AKJA Mr Terry Riches resigns from the AKJA and forms the Australian Judo Union (AJU) (Riches 2009)
    · JVI Legal Expenses from 1987 South Australia proceedings finalised (McMahon 2010)

Bibliography

Cox, R. (2011), 'About JVI', <http://www.judobalwyn.org.au/jvi/jviabout.htm>, accessed 21 06 11.

Herrmann, P. (2011), 'The History of Judo in Australia', <http://www.ausjudo.com.au/jfa/jsp/read_more/read_more.jsp?title=History&read_more_id=col_1_readmore>, accessed 21 06 11.

JVI. (2008), 'Constitution', (Judo Victoria Incorporated), 31-32.

McMahon, M. (2010), 'Draft Minutes for Annual General Meeting.', (Melbourne: JVI).

Riches, T. (2011 ), 'NSW AKJA membership moves to form the Australian Judo Union', <http://www.australianjudounion.com/st.php?uv=356I44I1I0I0I0>, accessed September, 2011.

Robertson, B. (2011), 'Some Aussie History', <http://www.judo-sensei.com.au/aussie_history_6.html>, accessed 21 06 11.

VAJU (2011), 'Victorian Amateur Judo Union inc.', <http://www.vaju.org.au/>, accessed September, 2011.

<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt" class=MsoNormal>

Creamy creamy baileys
    Creamy creamy baileys

Post by Creamy creamy baileys Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Great work, JudoDad. I had no idea that the SA case cost $220,000!
    Ps: Jim Connors was my first instructor's (Barry Hobbs) instructor. Actually, I have Jim's copy of "Judo for the west" (signed and stamped property of Jim Connors) not half a metre from me
    Pps: No mention of Sensei Chek of Kawashi fame?
    Jimgo
    Jimgo

Post by Jimgo Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Victorian Judo was blighted for many years with petty personality and political grudges between opposing groups. It makes a very sad history but it was even worse to experience it. My Judo started in the mid 60's when things really began to sour big time. I had close Judo friends on all sides of the divide. JudoDad talk to Mike Picken about the repercussions of all those bad years on the development of Victorian Judo.
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for the lead Jimgo Very Happy .

In the 70's I trained at a VAJU club but used to slip across to an adjacent suburb and train with a VAJA club. There was no problem doing this except that the VAJA club was expensive! I once trained at Caulfield and met the two Michaels. Michael Collins and Michael Pichens.

My research so far indicates that Victoria is far from being the only Australian state to have been blighted with petty personality and political grudges.My aim is to establish a factual history and not upset to many people at the same time. Unfortunately emotions run high and it is difficult to obtain completely objective information. However in the words of George Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" .
    Tsurumaki

Post by Tsurumaki Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:21 pm

Only one of the bibliography links worked. I'd like to read more on the history, so I'll try them again.

One Australian I remember from my early days at the Kodokan is Frank Dando, who was a good friend of my brother.
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks for the post.

In the late 1970's and early 80's I trained at Bayswater Judo Club (a VAJU club, VAJU was the IJF affiliated body at the time) and used to slip accross to the Ashwood Judo & Fitness centre to train under Frank and Akira Yamada (VAJA). Later I trained under Bob Todd at Nunawading.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:18 pm

I trained a few times with the late Arthur Moorshead in Caulfield - great man. A Brit who went to Australia - I believe Arthur started his juo in London.

I fought Michael Pickens once or twice in training sessions - though he was a bit older than me. Hard man!
    Joseph Svinth

Post by Joseph Svinth Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Take a look at the Australian newspapers online. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper There are occasional mentions way back (to include then-Lt. Nango in Melbourne; he was later an admiral and director of the Kodokan), but most of them start in the early 1950s. The articles I recollect seeing suggested significant German influence, via postwar immigration.
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Joseph Svinth wrote:Take a look at the Australian newspapers online. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper There are occasional mentions way back (to include then-Lt. Nango in Melbourne; he was later an admiral and director of the Kodokan), but most of them start in the early 1950s. The articles I recollect seeing suggested significant German influence, via postwar immigration.

Can you narrow down the trove search at all?

BTW: I know a German Expat Judoka Mathew Komp who was very active in Judo at one time, came to Australia with a genuine high Judo grade, 5th dan I think; but then got side tracked into a Jujitsu organisation and is now a "10th Dan".
    Joseph Svinth

Judo Downunder Empty Advanced search

Post by Joseph Svinth Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:20 pm

On the main search site. To the right, underneath. There is a link to "advanced search." There you can sort by year, paper, and so on.

Before the 1950s, you will do much better searching for "jujitsu" (in its various spellings) than judo. Professor Kano lecturing in Paris in November 1933, for instance, is described as discussing jujitsu. Kano said he introduced it to Paris 44 years earlier, so that would have been during his visit in 1889. (Adelaide Advertiser, Nov 3, 1933, page 10) Australian suffragettes borrowed a page from Miss Pankhurst's book, and started teaching jujutsu to members in 1913. (Launceton Examiner, August 21, 1913, page 5) Etc. Looks like the police stuff during the early 1910s really did owe a lot to Captain McLaglan's minions. Gasp. Anyway, it wouldn't be all that hard to come up with an Australian judo history built primarily on newspaper sources. You'd have to check spellings and question the interpretations, but this will give you names, dates, locations, and so on to follow up.
    mikmak

Judo Downunder Empty Vic Judo late 60s to early 70s

Post by mikmak Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:22 pm

The two strongest clubs in juniors were Mordialloc Youth Club - Mordialloc Ninjas and Preston Judo Club. Teams comps were big and held at suburban town halls.
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Judo Downunder Empty Big Comps

Post by Judo Dad Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:07 pm

mikmak wrote:The two strongest clubs in juniors were Mordialloc Youth Club - Mordialloc Ninjas and Preston Judo Club. Teams comps were big and held at suburban town halls.

I remember some wopper tournaments at Power House

Can you provide anymore info about Mordialloc or Preston.

Clubs I have trained at that are no longer include Bayswater Judo Club, Pascoe Vale Judo Club (Both run by Daryl Clancy) and Nunawading Judo Club run by Bob Todd and more recently Seishinkan Judo Club at Tarneit run by John Guljas.
    mikmak

Post by mikmak Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Coaches at Mordialloc - Phil Richardson and Les Galley. Coach at Preston Peter Alway. Mordialloc produced three Michaels , Trevor and the Matthews brothers. Michael Picken, Michael McMahon, Michael Young, Trevor Bilney, Ray and Greg Matthews - Picken and Young went on to be Olympians. I can remeber when Junior Nationals were started in 1969 (Sydney), 1970 (Adelaide),1971 (Melbourne)and 1972 (Hobart).
    Kiichisai

Post by Kiichisai Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:04 am

Someone needs to get a tape recorder and talk to Ern Knoop, Ivan Zavetchanos, Frank Dando etc to get the history of judo before it is too late.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 am

With Jim Robinson now being dead for over 20 years, the History of Judo in Australia must lie in the hands (minds) of Ern, Ivan and Frank, the petty childish squabbling between the JFA, AKJA and the AJU MUST be put aside (even if only as a short truce) to amass as much information about Judo in Australia as possible.
    Jimgo
    Jimgo

Judo Downunder Empty Jack Cox the true pioneer of Victorian Judo

Post by Jimgo Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:30 pm

Let's not forget the already forgotten Jack Cox who instructed Judo at the Melbourne YMCA for many years producing the second generation Judo talents of Bob and Kevin Todd, Frank Dando and many others.  Jack used to live not far from me in middle Camberwell (Melbourne)  Kevin Todd and I would drop in for a cup of tea when doing our regular runs - that was in the early 1980's and Jack was probably well past the 80 mark himself at that time.

Jack learned his Judo while a POW in Changi, Singapore during WW2 from the Japanese guards - some of whom were very proficient Judo men.  It would be a great shame if Jack Cox's name was lost to Judo history in Australia because it is such a fascinating tale of something very positive arising from Changi gaol during a time time of terrible suffering by Australian POW's.

Please remember Jack.  He was a true pioneer and gentleman.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:54 am