E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
nomoremondays
Okazi
sodo
7 posters

Moved rants

sodo
    sodo

Moved rants Empty Re: Moved rants

Post by sodo Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 pm

hedgehogey wrote:Back on topic, (personal attack edited out):

Hi whoever edit this and my following post, WTF?????????

Hedges post contained an attempt to provoke a reaction from me but it was in no way a personal attack or in anyway insulting and neither was my answer to him, in a previous thread on JF when almost exactly the same thing occured that was the end of it.
    I think by editing ands and leaving
    (personal attack edited out)
    it makes it look far worse to future readers than if the posts had been left as they were. Suspect otherwise people will be imagining all sorts of things that we "could" have written pale atb

BTW and I correct in assuming that HH and I have the honour of being the first to have our posts edited censured Very Happy

atb

sodo
    Okazi
    Okazi

Post by Okazi Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:27 am

sodo wrote:

BTW and I correct in assuming that HH and I have the honour of being the first to have our posts edited censured Very Happy

atb

sodo

I'm afraid not. A handful of members (could have been a single voice of outrage) successfully lobbied administrators for the vaporization of a whole thread on Ryan Hall's Open Letter to the Martial Arts Community...

Last edited by Okazi on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling! Re-quoting)
    nomoremondays
    nomoremondays

Post by nomoremondays Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 am

Okazi wrote:
    sodo wrote:

atb

sodo

I'm afraid not. A handful of members (could have been a single voice of outrage) successfully lobbied administrators for the vaporization of a whole thread on Ryan Hall's Open Letter to the Martial Arts Community...

I must say, Im not a fan of posts being edited by some other than the writer except under the most extreme of extreme circumstances. If people are abusive or hateful, give them a few warnings. Three strikes and you're out. Or something similar like maybe their account gets deactivated for a month for minor infringements. Some basic forum posting rules should be adhered to and stick-ied. They are almost the norm in all other types of forums.
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:44 am

Okazi wrote:
    sodo wrote:

atb

sodo

If that was his letter about sexual abuse in judo/ma then why should it have been censored?

ESPECIALLY if only ONE person took exception, makes you wonder what that person wanted to hide Rolling Eyes

atb

sodo
    Okazi
    Okazi

Post by Okazi Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:56 am

nomoremondays wrote:
    Okazi wrote:
    sodo wrote:

atb

sodo

I must say, Im not a fan of posts being edited by some other than the writer except under the most extreme of extreme circumstances. If people are abusive or hateful, give them a few warnings. Three strikes and you're out. Or something similar like maybe their account gets deactivated for a month for minor infringements. Some basic forum posting rules should be adhered to and stick-ied. They are almost the norm in all other types of forums.

Completely agree with virtually everything you have said and would like to add that self-policing works just fine on its own. This is after all a forum, right?
    Okazi
    Okazi

Moved rants Empty Moved rants

Post by Okazi Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:05 am

sodo wrote:
    Okazi wrote:
    sodo wrote:

atb

sodo

If that was his letter about sexual abuse in judo/ma then why should it have been censored?

ESPECIALLY if only ONE person took exception, makes you wonder what that person wanted to hide Rolling Eyes

atb

sodo

The thread was a discussion regarding the letter and the events surrounding it. From what I can recall the objection to the thread was regarding the controversy and potential fall-out that could be visited upon this forum. None of the posters: had anything to hide, were in favor of sexual assult etc.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 am

guys, if you have an issue with the actions of an admin, take it up with the admin via PM. we do what we do when we think doing so is necessary. we don't edit posts to upset people (though april fool's day is right around the corner), we do it to preserve sanity on the forum. we have a tough line to walk, on one side is preserving free speech and freedom of information, on the other is preserving order, and preventing people from being offended. being an admin isn't easy, but we're doing the best we can.

the Ryan Hall thread was deleted because we as a team made a judgement call that the direction that thread was destined to head in, was not the direction we wanted the forum going when it was still so young. remember the Ryan Rebmann thread? remember the people who joined the forum specifically for the sake of taking part in that thread? it was disgusting. so we decided to lean toward censorship. got a problem with that? too bad. that's our call to make.

I edited HH's post because it had a lot of useful videos in one place, but also contained a personal attack. I didn't think the personal attack was bad enough to warrant getting rid of the videos too, so I got rid of the part of the post that was found objectionable. I left the shell of sodo's post to sort of stand as a warning, that personal attacks are not acceptable. perhaps I should have deleted the whole thread.

an official set of rules will be posted very soon.
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:02 am

Sorry I have got to ask.

For those who disagree with being moderated how is your dojo run? By the members or the sensei?

Since when has judo been a democracy? Step in my dojo on my mats and there is democracy in as far as we all from the beginner to the sensei abide by one set of rules and those rules are enforced for us all.

Free speech is THE most misused term in the American language. Freedom comes at a price and that price is responsibility. Life as such is never 'free', we all every day in every way abide by social norms and laws.

Why expect a forum to be any different? Its a privilege to write here to be part of a community we all need, on times, a reminder of who we are and what the consequences of what we write are.

Let us not forget there are internet laws and this site is hosted in the UK where tough regulations are enforced as to what is posted on the net. The administrators could, in the worst scenario, find themselves explaining their actions to a judge! This site is not hosted by Ezoic. Lets cut them some slack eh.

Mike
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Okazi wrote:
    sodo wrote:
    Okazi wrote:
    sodo wrote:

atb

sodo

atb

sodo

The thread was a discussion regarding the letter and the events surrounding it. From what I can recall the objection to the thread was regarding the controversy and potential fall-out that could be visited upon this forum. None of the posters: had anything to hide, were in favor of sexual assult etc.

There would have been zero repercussions. Thousands of posts were made about the Lloyd Irvin thing on Sherdog & the Underground (and most likely other, smaller forums) without any kind of legal fallout. Some of his students even joined in the discussions to defend Irvin (and by God did they make shitty job of it).
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:23 pm

genetic judoka wrote:remember the Ryan Rebmann thread? remember the people who joined the forum specifically for the sake of taking part in that thread? it was disgusting.
    Then ban the individual posters.
    nomoremondays
    nomoremondays

Post by nomoremondays Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:16 pm

genetic judoka wrote:

an official set of rules will be posted very soon.
    That really is what I think people are hoping for (at least I am) - What the acceptable guidelines/parameters are.
    Thank you for your time and effort.

Regards
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Okazi wrote:
    sodo wrote:

atb

sodo

actually, you're both wrong. But, if I addressed who was the first to earn a checkmark in their GITMO account, I'd have to censor myself. Suspect
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 pm

genetic judoka wrote:guys, if you have an issue with the actions of an admin, take it up with the admin via PM. we do what we do when we think doing so is necessary. we don't edit posts to upset people (though april fool's day is right around the corner), we do it to preserve sanity on the forum. we have a tough line to walk, on one side is preserving free speech and freedom of information, on the other is preserving order, and preventing people from being offended. being an admin isn't easy, but we're doing the best we can.

Hi Jason,

We had already pm'ed about the Ne Waza thread, I took this into the public domain as an extention of the "what do we want from a rorum" thread to get the members to think about it and not as criticism of the Admins. I thought the posts between HH amd myself were the ideal opportunity since the posts were conpletely banal and would not iodsstract from the topic. Just imagine that the content of the delete posts was HH declaration of love for me followed by a written description of how we should physically consumate these new found feelings Embarassed There would be far more interest in the content than how and whether the post should be delt with by the admin Very Happy

We have had a broad selection of alternatives, I find that a positive result cheers

btw I am using Firefox with Win 7 and I did nit see any vids on HH's post Neutral
    It was quite ammusing to read
    Last edited by genetic judoka on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to remove a personal attack from an otherwise useful post)
    and the rest of the post was empty Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    only now do I discover that there was some video content, am I th eonly one withthis problem ?

atb

sodo

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:54 am