E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

New Year's message from Kōdōkan kanchō Uemura Haruki-sensei

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

New Year's message from Kōdōkan kanchō Uemura Haruki-sensei Empty New Year's message from Kōdōkan kanchō Uemura Haruki-sensei

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:00 pm

http://www.kodokan.org/e_info/topics201301.html
    forgeron judo
    forgeron judo

New Year's message from Kōdōkan kanchō Uemura Haruki-sensei Empty Re: New Year's message from Kōdōkan kanchō Uemura Haruki-sensei

Post by forgeron judo Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:18 am

A very positive message for all of us to nurture. Thanks for posting.
    NBK
    NBK

New Year's message from Kōdōkan kanchō Uemura Haruki-sensei Empty Re: New Year's message from Kōdōkan kanchō Uemura Haruki-sensei

Post by NBK Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:03 am

It is interesting - I don't think I've ever read any others but to me clearly Uemura kancho places a marker - changes to the competition rules are fine, but the support of the Kodokan is behind changes that return to tradition.

Anyone have any ideas what that means?

NBK
    radzfman

Post by radzfman Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 pm

NBK wrote:It is interesting - I don't think I've ever read any others but to me clearly Uemura kancho places a marker - changes to the competition rules are fine, but the support of the Kodokan is behind changes that return to tradition.

NBK

"It has developed that the International Judo Federation (IJF) has been making changes to refereeing and other rules every four years, and I feel that this is a serious situation. Any measure that aspires to return to correct Judo that grasps its true essence is welcome; nevertheless, what is important is not just changing rules, but the preservation and the future transmission of Judo’s essential characteristics. For that reason, I think that the education of instructors, referees, and others who recognize the educational value that Judo holds and can transmit that knowledge is an urgent matter. I intend to continue to promote training programs in Japan for instructors that can do this."

I don't its a complicit agreement to the IJF but a guarded precaution. And I dont think the IJF has truely bee nacting on the "spirit of Judo".
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:34 am

NBK wrote:It is interesting - I don't think I've ever read any others but to me clearly Uemura kancho places a marker - changes to the competition rules are fine, but the support of the Kodokan is behind changes that return to tradition.

NBK

I don't think it means much. I have seen (and have copies of) personal correspondence in which Vizer and Barcos simply tell Uemura off, nothing respectful, the kind of "we have explained this to you before and you were present, learn how to read" sort of thing. You'd be shocked.

For the rest, Uemura inside the Kôdôkan has been surrounding himself with 'confidantes' in important roles probably slowly replacing the "old guard". What does it mean in the end ? Hard to predict. Can go either way: complete 'modernization' (IJF kind of judo thing, yellow/blue tatami, blue gi, whatever) or a split. I would imagine that money is important too. Towards the beginning of the 1980s most European countries started dissociating from the Kodokan and kicked the Japanese sensei out being fed up with their bureaucracy and lip service to he Kodokan often condescending, some even downright racist, and acting like tourists who the membership was paying for making fancy trips. The last three years have evolved back to the old game, partly because of the kata competitions, and the Kodokan is rubbing its hands now that countries have been tricked back into the federation grassroots membership paying for expensive trips and lodging to fly over Kodokan staff all over the world and pay for sighthseeing, lodging, gifts, even cruises, etc. Think of the EJU Kodokan kata course, and many others. Italy, for example, has been a favorite destination of them with visits to Florence and Venice being highly desired. In his message Uemura writes: "Last year, the Kodokan also dispatched Kata experts to France, Canada, Australia, and other countries in response to requests from several national Judo federations and continental unions."

So, in the end ... limited direct impact on the IJF when it comes to decisions, but not so bad when it comes to personal perks and money and power within the Kodokan and AJJF and the domestic judo structure. That's not a bad achievement most would think who would fulfill the same role.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:28 am

Cichorei Kano wrote: I would imagine that money is important too. Towards the beginning of the 1980s most European countries started dissociating from the Kodokan and kicked the Japanese sensei out being fed up with their bureaucracy and lip service to he Kodokan often condescending, some even downright racist, and acting like tourists who the membership was paying for making fancy trips. The last three years have evolved back to the old game, partly because of the kata competitions, and the Kodokan is rubbing its hands now that countries have been tricked back into the federation grassroots membership paying for expensive trips and lodging to fly over Kodokan staff all over the world and pay for sighthseeing, lodging, gifts, even cruises, etc. Think of the EJU Kodokan kata course, and many others.

Power corupts absolutely? Oh to be a fly on a wall.....
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 am

I don't think it means much. I have seen (and have copies of) personal correspondence in which Vizer and Barcos simply tell Uemura off, nothing respectful, the kind of "we have explained this to you before and you were present, learn how to read" sort of thing. You'd be shocked.

For the rest, Uemura inside the Kôdôkan has been surrounding himself with 'confidantes' in important roles probably slowly replacing the "old guard". What does it mean in the end ? Hard to predict. Can go either way: complete 'modernization' (IJF kind of judo thing, yellow/blue tatami, blue gi, whatever) or a split. I would imagine that money is important too. Towards the beginning of the 1980s most European countries started dissociating from the Kodokan and kicked the Japanese sensei out being fed up with their bureaucracy and lip service to he Kodokan often condescending, some even downright racist, and acting like tourists who the membership was paying for making fancy trips. The last three years have evolved back to the old game, partly because of the kata competitions, and the Kodokan is rubbing its hands now that countries have been tricked back into the federation grassroots membership paying for expensive trips and lodging to fly over Kodokan staff all over the world and pay for sighthseeing, lodging, gifts, even cruises, etc. Think of the EJU Kodokan kata course, and many others. Italy, for example, has been a favorite destination of them with visits to Florence and Venice being highly desired. In his message Uemura writes: "Last year, the Kodokan also dispatched Kata experts to France, Canada, Australia, and other countries in response to requests from several national Judo federations and continental unions."

So, in the end ... limited direct impact on the IJF when it comes to decisions, but not so bad when it comes to personal perks and money and power within the Kodokan and AJJF and the domestic judo structure. That's not a bad achievement most would think who would fulfill the same role.
    You touch on a couple of issues that I follow, albeit not closely, with interest.

Kano Yukimitsu kancho's confidants, administrative gents he seemed to hire primarily at first from his old shipping firm, are, like him, not young. One would expect, and I think we're seeing, the impact of a younger businessman with a more modern experience, and the retirement of the older folks. I think the web presence is stepping up, and there are some other signs of a more active management, but such things take time.

Here's the 2012 visit of the Kodokan staff to Kano shihan's tomb. There seems to be more black hair than in past years:

New Year's message from Kōdōkan kanchō Uemura Haruki-sensei 20120502_03

The lack of response to the womens' judo team complaints was and remains very disappointing. This is a problem, potentially created a big problem for Tokyo's Olympic bid, and it is not apparent that it is taken seriously by the Kodokan leadership. It will be interesting to see what the 'independent commission' finds and advises.

Touching on the seemingly renewed international relevance of the Kodokan vis-a-vis kata instruction, I have wondered what happens when the Euros think they've gotten enough instruction in kata, and consider themselves the equals of anyone in Japan - in fact, finally realize that the instruction in fact is primarily true to the robotic standards of the current Kodokan staff and not the more permanent standards of historic accuracy or combative effectiveness? I think these seminars will dry up quite quickly.

Also, the traveling parties of the Kodokan seem quite large. I wrote in the old forum the size of some of these instructor groups (I think one was 18 or so to one of those Italian forays), and the stunning costs of that.

So, the Kodokan doesn't control (some would say they have little to no impact) international competitive judo and I think it is likely to loose control of kata instruction and competition quite quickly.

What's left? What is the appropriate future role of the Kodokan for Uemura kancho to aspire? In his New Year greeting he wrote:

I strongly focus on “the correct transmission of Judo established by Kano Shihan” and intend to promote this with all my strength.

It will be interesting to see how he construes 'Judo established by Kano Shihan'.

Also, he notes that the Kodokan is now a "Public Benefit Corporation". I'm not sure if it is or intends to apply to become a "Specified Public Benefit Corporation" which has a clear status regarding contributions = your contributions are tax-deductible. They have never been so heretofore, which presumably has been a serious impediment to the Kodokan's finances (I've seen the budget - it is primarily fueled by new members' dues, promotion fees, and the rental of the DIY shop on the first floor, the dentist's office, etc.), and the numbers of those new members and promotions are falling steadily, as is the value of the rental incomes.

Here's a look at the complex tax issues:

ACCJ Journal on Japanese Non-Profit Organizations

NBK
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:56 am

NBK wrote:

You touch on a couple of issues that I follow, albeit not closely, with interest.

Kano Yukimitsu kancho's confidants, administrative gents he seemed to hire primarily at first from his old shipping firm, are, like him, not young. One would expect, and I think we're seeing, the impact of a younger businessman with a more modern experience, and the retirement of the older folks. I think the web presence is stepping up, and there are some other signs of a more active management, but such things take time.

Here's the 2012 visit of the Kodokan staff to Kano shihan's tomb. There seems to be more black hair than in past years:

New Year's message from Kōdōkan kanchō Uemura Haruki-sensei 20120502_03

The lack of response to the womens' judo team complaints was and remains very disappointing. This is a problem, potentially created a big problem for Tokyo's Olympic bid, and it is not apparent that it is taken seriously by the Kodokan leadership. It will be interesting to see what the 'independent commission' finds and advises.

Touching on the seemingly renewed international relevance of the Kodokan vis-a-vis kata instruction, I have wondered what happens when the Euros think they've gotten enough instruction in kata, and consider themselves the equals of anyone in Japan - in fact, finally realize that the instruction in fact is primarily true to the robotic standards of the current Kodokan staff and not the more permanent standards of historic accuracy or combative effectiveness? I think these seminars will dry up quite quickly.

Also, the traveling parties of the Kodokan seem quite large. I wrote in the old forum the size of some of these instructor groups (I think one was 18 or so to one of those Italian forays), and the stunning costs of that.

So, the Kodokan doesn't control (some would say they have little to no impact) international competitive judo and I think it is likely to loose control of kata instruction and competition quite quickly.

What's left? What is the appropriate future role of the Kodokan for Uemura kancho to aspire? In his New Year greeting he wrote:

I strongly focus on “the correct transmission of Judo established by Kano Shihan” and intend to promote this with all my strength.

It will be interesting to see how he construes 'Judo established by Kano Shihan'.

Also, he notes that the Kodokan is now a "Public Benefit Corporation". I'm not sure if it is or intends to apply to become a "Specified Public Benefit Corporation" which has a clear status regarding contributions = your contributions are tax-deductible. They have never been so heretofore, which presumably has been a serious impediment to the Kodokan's finances (I've seen the budget - it is primarily fueled by new members' dues, promotion fees, and the rental of the DIY shop on the first floor, the dentist's office, etc.), and the numbers of those new members and promotions are falling steadily, as is the value of the rental incomes.

Here's a look at the complex tax issues:

ACCJ Journal on Japanese Non-Profit Organizations

NBK

I am inclined to support your speculation about the role of the Kodokan in international kata competition. The Kodokan appreciates the attention and calls, but it does not realize it is simply used (though to an extent this 'used' is also just a "business relationship" since they get paid for their service) to give legitimacy to what the EJU and IJF are doing. The tipping point will likely come when we start seeing a repetition of judo shiai and the Japanese start getting defeated in kata. There is no reason why the Westerners would be less able to copy things than the Japanese. By the way, there are already some excellent Russians in kata who so far have stayed mostly out of international kata and who might in X amount of time hit the international judo kata scene as a bomb defeating everyone else in all kata except for ju-no-kata. This, as well as a preponderance of Europeans in the kata committees will effectively be the end of the temporary high conjuncture of the Kodokan. It actually has already started. The past year saw a sudden onset of Kodokan clinics being taught in Europe by non-Japanese, but Europeans who were IJF-A kata judges. This will happen more and more. The Kodokan will lose in other ways regarding kata too, such as economically in terms of kata materials. No one will buy Kodokan kata DVDs/videos anymore since you can now simply download these from YouTube as well as numerous other medal-winning performances. That in combination with a pdf of a couple of sheets of IJF marketing criteria and exactly how many centimeters you can move a hand or foot before it will be considered as a grave mistake and X number of marks will be subtracted, will by a cheap replacement for the expensive shipment of authentic Kodokan materials

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 am