E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Pan-American Open Montevideo, Uruguay 2013

Jerry Hays

Pan-American Open Montevideo, Uruguay 2013 Empty Pan-American Open Montevideo, Uruguay 2013

Post by Jerry Hays Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Some observation on this event.

There are only three women in the plus 78KG, one in 78KG and nine in the 70KG. Please note that Kayla Harrison moved down from 78KG to 70KG. Of the nine women the 70KG, three are from the US (S. Bleier, K. Harrison and Katie Sells).

Men competitors – 112
    Women competitors – 63
    Total – 175

Counties participating:

Argentina (ARG)
    Brazil (BRA)
    Canada (CAN)
    Chile (CHI)
    China (CHN)
    Colombia (COL)
    Dominican Republic (DOM)
    Great Britain (GBR)
    Hungary (HUN)
    Ireland (IRL)
    Japan (JPN)
    Mexico (MEX)
    Portugal (POR)
    Puerto Rico (PUR)
    United States of America (USA)
    Uruguay (URU)

Notice that Cuba is not participating.

For more info, please visit www.ippon.org.
    Jerry Hays

Pan-American Open Montevideo, Uruguay 2013 Empty Kayla Harrison takes second place in 70KG

Post by Jerry Hays Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:45 am

Kayla Harrison placed second in the 70KG division.

Travis Stevens place first in the 81KG division.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Pan-American Open Montevideo, Uruguay 2013 Empty Re: Pan-American Open Montevideo, Uruguay 2013

Post by Stacey Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 am

Bleier moved up to 78 and took gold. She was down by wazari, threw for a yuko, and then pinned for the ippon.

How much weight did Kayla have to cut? Did she come in expecting to play 78 and then go to 70 to find competition? Kinda amazing.

Was great to see so many US team members vying for medals, just wish I could switch mats on ippon.tv so I could have watched mat 1, especially in the bronze medal matches for Katie Sell and Myles Porter.
    Jerry Hays

Pan-American Open Montevideo, Uruguay 2013 Empty Re: Pan-American Open Montevideo, Uruguay 2013

Post by Jerry Hays Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:51 am

I was told, over two weeks ago, that Kayla was going to play in the 70KG division.

It is noted that Kayla lost to the 2009 World Champion.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Jerry Hays wrote:I was told, over two weeks ago, that Kayla was going to play in the 70KG division.

The 2009 world champion who only had 1 match before the gold medal round. Kayla didn't even get a bye for the first round.

And boy, that ref was cracked when he awarded ippon for crashing through the barrier. Glad he waived it off before awarding the round. Kayla was playing really well.
    Jerry Hays

Post by Jerry Hays Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks, Stacey for the update. I was at a shiai, 120 miles from home, today, so I missed all of the matches.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Jerry Hays wrote:Thanks, Stacey for the update. I was at a shiai, 120 miles from home, today, so I missed all of the matches.

should have told me, and I would have put in a spoiler warning
    JFTW

Post by JFTW Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:23 am

Stacey wrote:
    Jerry Hays wrote:I was told, over two weeks ago, that Kayla was going to play in the 70KG division.

The 2009 world champion who only had 1 match before the gold medal round. Kayla didn't even get a bye for the first round.

And boy, that ref was cracked when he awarded ippon for crashing through the barrier. Glad he waived it off before awarding the round. Kayla was playing really well.
    Reason Alvear went straight into semi finals and Harrison did not, is that the Colombian was the top seed and Harrison was not seeded at all (due to being new to this category). Along with winning '09 world's, Alvear also won bronze at London Olympics.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:28 am

JFTW wrote:
    Reason Alvear went straight into semi finals and Harrison did not, is that the Colombian was the top seed and Harrison was not seeded at all (due to being new to this category). Along with winning '09 world's, Alvear also won bronze at London Olympics.

Thanks. Figured Kayla didn't get a bye in the first round because of the new category. Just seemed odd to me that Alvear got a double bye, all the way into the semis, everybody else had to fight at least once to get to the semis, except Kayla, who had to fight twice to get to the semis. Alvear was smooth and quick - would have liked to see her fight more.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:30 pm