E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
judolady
Jerry Hays
6 posters

First VP of USJA resign

Jerry Hays

First VP of USJA resign Empty First VP of USJA resign

Post by Jerry Hays Tue May 14, 2013 12:02 am

Almost four years ago, I agreed to run for USJA Board of Directors in hopes of contributing to the organization that was founded and/or supported by many individuals that I am fortunate to call my friends. Then, as now, my focus has been to do what I can to support judo development at the local/regional level--to help the USJA provide the best support services to clubs and members, and to grow participation in judo in general and membership in the USJA specifically.

After a difficult start to our Board's term, I ended up taking on the position of Vice-President in addition to the Chair positions for the Club Support Services and the Regional Coordinators committees. For the past 3 1/2 years, I have endeavored to complete the tasks that I have volunteered to do in a timely manner and with the highest quality possible. These include the online magazine, Growing Judo, and additional projects like the layout and editing of the Senior Handbook and the creation of a resource page on the USJA website. For the most part, I think I have fulfilled that goal.

I believe that anyone in a leadership position is first and foremost a servant to the constituency of his/her organization. Individuals in positions of responsibility and authority should adhere faithfully to the standards of their organization.

Unfortunately, it has become increasingly difficult to serve as the Vice-President of the USJA. Particularly in the last year, many on the Board of Directors have not been kept informed about important issues and concerns. On many occasions, requests for information, concerns about procedural issues, and objections to abuses of position and violations of USJA Bylaws have been met with silence at best. The Vice-Presidency has become an office in name only.

After a great deal of reflection, I regret to tell you that I see no other option than to resign as Vice-President. Please note that I am ONLY resigning the office of Vice-President. I still intend to fulfill my term as a member of USJA Board of Directors, and at this time I will continue to serve in my committee chair and editor positions.

Those of you who know me know that I take my commitments very seriously, and that this was not a decision made lightly or in haste. To those of you who don't know me as well, please believe that I will continue to do as much as I can to support judo and the USJA, both as a member of the Board of Directors, a committee volunteer, a Kelly's Capers presenter, and a USJA member.

Sincerely and with my best wishes to all of you,
    Joan Love
    Member, USJA Board of Directors

judolady

First VP of USJA resign Empty Re: First VP of USJA resign

Post by judolady Thu May 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi, Jerry and everyone--

Simply because of time demands, I don't get to visit this site very often. I am OK with this being posted; it is a public statement that I sent out as an official letter.

I don't plan to publicly comment here, and the majority of people here are not USJA members. Should anyone wish to contact me personally, my email is judolady210@aol.com.

Best wishes to all of you,
    Joan Love
    judolady

Post by judolady Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:36 am

The committee reports attached are part of the minutes of the USJA open meeting of 7/5/13, but it may be awhile before those minutes are posted.  Since some of this information is timely (and a matter of public record), I am sharing them with you now.

Those of you who were at the meeting already know that the half-hour "President's message" (about the accomplishments of this Board), did not even mention the Growing Judo magazine, whose goal has been to celebrate the active USJA clubs & coaches around the country.  However, I want those of you who contributed to know that you have my sincere thanks for you efforts--I think we DID accomplish a lot.

Please know that for the sake of the membership, I stuck with the task of producing Growing Judo for as long as I could, but the obstacles have just become too great.  Currently there is no Club Support Services Committee on the USJA website and I no longer have access to post any resources on the site.  However, I fully intend to continue to promote judo and support clubs in any way that I can, although it will not be in an official capacity.  

Best wishes to you,
    Joan Love
    Attachments
    First VP of USJA resign Attachment2013.07 Club Support and Regional Coordinators Reports.pdf
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (602 Kb) Downloaded 19 times
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:14 pm

The way the USJA is and has been run will pretty much guarantee that members only interact with it on an as needed basis. There is very little draw, only necessity. Were it not for filing promotions and sanctions there would be no need to contact them at all. They certainly haven't done anything to promote our club, and not one person has ever come through the door and said "USJA sent me".

I appreciate the e-magazine, but I never get any notifications that a new one is available, so I end up reading 4 or 5 issues in a sitting a couple times per year.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 pm

amazing that you don't get notification. Notification is through a variety of sources - Face Book, the Bulletin board system for old school judoka, and a variety of other sources. If you're waiting for a snail mail notification, that would be lacking, but JudoLady has been very forthcoming with each and every edition of Growing Judo, and has actively solicited contributions for every corner of grassroots judo. I really don't know how much more she could have done to get Growing Judo out to the pblic, USJA or not.

Much respect for the magazine, the editors, and the contributors.
    Judoman

Post by Judoman Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:03 pm

I appreciate the everyday staff at the USJA, but I have been asking myself what it is the association exactly does for my club. Just signing off on rank certificates is not enough. Recently, I have given my club members the choice of joining USJA or AAU Judo. Almost all have gone with AAU Judo, which was a surprise. Not sure how this will play out over time, but I feel that moving away from the national governing bodies might not be such a bad thing.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Judoman wrote:I appreciate the everyday staff at the USJA, but I have been asking myself what it is the association exactly does for my club. Just signing off on rank certificates is not enough. Recently, I have given my club members the choice of joining USJA or AAU Judo. Almost all have gone with AAU Judo, which was a surprise. Not sure how this will play out over time, but I feel that moving away from the national governing bodies might not be such a bad thing.

Minor point ... there is only one real national governing body ... that is USA Judo ... it's a term that refers to the Sports Act ... but I think it's relevant and supports your point.

The various national governing bodies ... for judo, swimming, wrestling, curling ... whatever ... organize sports for the purpose of promoting Olympic sports in the United States.

That leaves the other two .... the USJF and USJA ... the question of "what then shall we do?" This was supposed to be resolved after "The Great Purge" by including them as member organizations but in fact they have no official control and role. So, as you note, people usually encounter them as rank-issuing organizations ... but don't forget insurance, both for members and for events. We call them membership cards and sanctions, but that is what they are ... plus a reasonable guarantee that any event will have consistent judo rules and the players involved will be judoka.

That probably leaves some cold as well ... since there are other organizations that issue sanctions, and some do not much like the IJF rules that the national groups insist on adhering to without much variation.

What else would one like such organizations to do? The answer is often something to do with money ... as in money for clubs, or money for certain athletes to travel, etc. ... and they perform this function but there is never enough to do what everyone hopes would be done. Plus, if you think about it, it's mostly a process of taking money from the many and giving to the few ... as is why don't we just keep those membership and promotion fees and spend them ourselves?

I can suggest a couple things.

One, rank should mean something. So a credible, consistent rank system is essential as the outward symbol of an active and engaged teaching system. Not necessarily a difficult, exclusive one, just a respectable job. USA Judo, as an Olympic-focused organization in an IJF that doesn't have much need for the rank concept except as a kind of vestigial organ. Their job is the sports entertainment business and the athletes that compete in those events. So it's the job of the other national organizations to take the job of organizing the overall judo community seriously.

The other part, and this is more difficult, and related to rank, it is the job of the USJA and USJF to promote judo standards, to say "this is judo, all of judo" and sometimes that happens. Sometimes I think they need the courage and credibility to say "this is NOT judo" but I don't see that happening much except when it comes to narrowing trend ... that didn't start with the IJF by the way. As noted in another thread, there is especially the need to be able to say "that is not enough of judo, there is more for you to explore, let's go out and learn it."

But that credibility can only come from an organization leadership that is both broad and wide ... not just one that derives its official opinions based on family ancestry, or how many memberships they sent to the national office in a year. It comes from a leadership that has an educated opinion ... at least a small knowledge of all thing in judo, and the type of deep understanding in at least a few areas that can broaden and deepen the judo of others. But they ain't gonna have that unless we show there is a demand, and if we don't listen as well as talk.

Our club is supporting the USJF's teaching and coaching training program by attending the local course at the end of this month at Migoto dojo. Unfortunately, due to cost and family issues we won't have representation at the national kata conference this weekend but we support the concept and will host a minor equivalent for local judoka towards the end of the year. We sanction our events through the USJF office, and discuss the rules we would like to apply. By supporting these events we receive support in return, we are in effect saying "this is good, please send more."

If we take our toys and go home when we don't like something, how does that solve anything?

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:22 am

I just noticed this thread.  I remember Joan from the old Judo Forum.  I think Joan did a wonderful job with Growing Judo and fulfilling the role of Vice-President within an organization that appears to be broken.

Joan, if you see this I thank you for your efforts.

----------------------- EDIT ---------------------------------------

Before anyone rips me on my comment with the USJA appearing to be broken please keep in mind it's only a perception.  It's not my intent to be hurtful with my comment.  I'm sure everyone on the USJA board has other jobs and responsibilities outside of the USJA and Judo and they are doing the very best they can with the time and resources they have.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 pm