E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

I'm So Ronery

BillC
    BillC

I'm So Ronery Empty I'm So Ronery

Post by BillC Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Nice article ... I think the number of judoka who go to the dojo just for this reason has not been discussed enough here.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/opinions/view/overcoming-loneliness-through-judo

Iwate, unlike Tokyo or other larger cities, has an extremely small population of foreigners. I moved to Iwate in April of 2012 and since I didn’t have any contacts I went three months without running into another English-speaking foreigner. Unlike English teaching jobs, I had no real support network in terms of introducing myself to fellow English speakers. My only friends were people I saw on a day-to-day basis. Even though I speak some Japanese it was quite isolating. The only exception to this would be my friends from judo.
    kiti
    kiti

I'm So Ronery Empty Re: I'm So Ronery

Post by kiti Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:50 am

Guilty, and I don't even live in a foreign country!  Some of my best friends I've met at judo.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 am

If your students don't feel like they belong, they aren't going to come back.  One of the best parts about judo is the judoka - no matter how long or short they've been in judo, no matter whether they've been rec judoka or elite judoka, they're mostly friendly, free with their knowledge, and usually create a great atmosphere.  While I may bitch about misogyny from time to time, in general I've never felt so welcome to be someplace and participate as I have been in a judo dojo, and that's judo dojo across the US.  One day, I'll travel enough to find out that this is generally true no matter where I go in the world.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:47 am

Stacey wrote:If your students don't feel like they belong, they aren't going to come back.  One of the best parts about judo is the judoka - no matter how long or short they've been in judo, no matter whether they've been rec judoka or elite judoka, they're mostly friendly, free with their knowledge, and usually create a great atmosphere.  While I may bitch about misogyny from time to time, in general I've never felt so welcome to be someplace and participate as I have been in a judo dojo, and that's judo dojo across the US.  One day, I'll travel enough to find out that this is generally true no matter where I go in the world.

Whoa! The two words I have highlighted are at two ends of a very polarized argument ... one I don't want to be in the same room to witness ... maybe not within a mile of that shouting contest!pig queen Mad

"Let's just do judo and stay friends" is a wise avoidance tactic!
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 am

hey, I'm a chick, I can say "bitch", I can call myself a bitch.  I can even bitch about being bitchy.  You're a gentleman, you are honor bound to refrain from using that term in any of its iterations.

Fortunately, there are many other terms you can use when we play judo.  "Paramour of Gravity" comes to mind.  "Lady blinking at the ceiling lights"  or "One who spends too much time on her back" - both of those have completely inoffensive meanings when both partners are in the judo dojo in the midst of a good randori.  Outside of the dojo, just make sure the wrong people aren't overhearing AND you're referring to judo.....
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:09 am

Stacey wrote:hey, I'm a chick, I can say "bitch", I can call myself a bitch.  I can even bitch about being bitchy.  You're a gentleman, you are honor bound to refrain from using that term in any of its iterations.

Now that brought a smile.....
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Stacey wrote:hey, I'm a chick, I can say "bitch", I can call myself a bitch.  I can even bitch about being bitchy.  You're a gentleman, you are honor bound to refrain from using that term in any of its iterations.

Fortunately, there are many other terms you can use when we play judo.  "Paramour of Gravity" comes to mind.  "Lady blinking at the ceiling lights"  or "One who spends too much time on her back" - both of those have completely inoffensive meanings when both partners are in the judo dojo in the midst of a good randori.  Outside of the dojo, just make sure the wrong people aren't overhearing AND you're referring to judo.....

HEY! 'Paramour of Gravity'??? That's my low-slung friend Billc you're talking about!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:34 am