E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
Jonesy
samsmith2424
herogoshi
7 posters

having trouble coaching against bias referee

herogoshi

having trouble coaching against bias referee Empty having trouble coaching against bias referee

Post by herogoshi Sun May 05, 2013 10:22 pm

be me.
    young coach.
    teach judo players to compete.
    take them to tournament.
    allpsychedup.etc
    give them the forward go on whats ahead (because i know the players)
    they bow on.
    BAM... shido!
    my player gets shido'd for crossgripping, even though the other kid held a crossgrip first.
    BAM... second shido!
    my player gets shido'd a second time for same thing.
    referee has a shitty look (but there's no difference between players.
    player wards off a couple seoi's.
    opponent goes in for another.
    my player counters with a sorta lateral ura nage, (no score)...
    they don't even replay footage.
    match continues (two shidos on my player)
    he keeps attacking (because he's behind in penalties)
    gets reversaled on an osoto out of bounds.
    score counts.
    my player walks off the mat trying to contain his anger, all worked up from the rude demeanor of the ref (same as last 2 times).
    i have to explain to him that even losing illegitimately is still worth learning from.

1) quesiton:

what is the best way to require the referee's to replay footage!

ftr; i have at least 4 counts of this referee's blatant bias towards me and my club on footage and its probably enough to start a highlight reel and 'youtube' his incompetence.

2) opinions? if i displayed footage of this particular referee being bias, would that be particularly unethical?

Last edited by herogoshi on Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    samsmith2424

having trouble coaching against bias referee Empty Re: having trouble coaching against bias referee

Post by samsmith2424 Sun May 05, 2013 10:51 pm

There are probably things you could do in the long term, but it is all competition experience. When I first started to take my son to competitions I got so frustrated with wrong scores but after a while I realised that is how things are for many competitions.

Also looking back at competition video I have seen wrong scores given in favour of my son as well.

It is pointless getting too heated up, today the wrong decision is against your players, another day it will be for them.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

having trouble coaching against bias referee Empty Re: having trouble coaching against bias referee

Post by Jonesy Mon May 06, 2013 6:05 am

Are you the only one who thinks this way? You should approach the ref in charge if you are unhappy. By the way, are you a qualified referee yourself? Are you sure you are right? Accusations of bias is a very strong thing.......Post the films and get some comment here, but be aware sometimes the film is inconclusive and the responses you get may not be what you want to hear.

You sound a bit too passionate and a bit too wound up to be totally objective about this issue. Reflect on t then come back.
    herogoshi

Post by herogoshi Tue May 07, 2013 12:40 am

1) while i'm sitting in the coaches chair and the referee gives a call which i dont think is correct, how do i go about trying to get them to rectify it without losing my nut and shouting etc. and i didn't say anything when it happened to my player and i dont want it to keep happening. what's an example of something i can say in a formal manner to bring them into question...
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Tue May 07, 2013 1:04 am

You can approach the head referee onm the day and voice your complaint.However it will do you no good whatsoever. My son had a ref give a wrong decision in a final against him years ago, against the british number one in his weight (and who's father was an olympic medallist). I had video evidence to back up my claim as well and went to the control table to speak to the head ref. He actually agreed that the ref had made the wrong call but it did not matter because they refused to do anything about it.
    I told them in no uncertain terms that they were cheats.
    I regret my actions now ,but I was a younger coach and still competing mainstream back then and could understand the frustration my son was feeling.
    However, what you think is correct and what the ref and two judges think is correct are sometimes two totally different things.
    Neil G
    Neil G

Post by Neil G Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 am

Once your athlete leaves the mat, it's done. So if he strongly disagrees with the decision, he can protest by sitting seiza and not leaving the mat. These days as video is often used a change can happen - I saw it occur at the Sask Open, an interprovincial tournament.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue May 07, 2013 6:54 am

Nothing can ... or should be ... done the day of the event.

Yes, one's heart breaks into a thousand pieces when a child loses despite their best effort. But when it's our kid, or someone we are coaching, we are not exactly impartial are we?

This is one of the biggest reasons I totally oppose "coaching" children from matside ... though there are many.

AnnMaria is fond of saying that the victory or loss at a national championship for 10-year-olds will fade. What can remain if we are doing our job as teachers and parents is the ability to stand on one's own and accept victory or defeat with grace and self-control. The "unfair" losses are the best lessons of all.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Tue May 07, 2013 7:15 am

one of these days life will suddenly become fair. and all of us complainers will have no idea what to do with ourselves.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Tue May 07, 2013 7:49 am

BillC wrote:Nothing can ... or should be ... done the day of the event.

Yes, one's heart breaks into a thousand pieces when a child loses despite their best effort. But when it's our kid, or someone we are coaching, we are not exactly impartial are we?

This is one of the biggest reasons I totally oppose "coaching" children from matside ... though there are many.

AnnMaria is fond of saying that the victory or loss at a national championship for 10-year-olds will fade. What can remain if we are doing our job as teachers and parents is the ability to stand on one's own and accept victory or defeat with grace and self-control. The "unfair" losses are the best lessons of all.

Well said Bill. Nice post
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am

genetic judoka wrote:one of these days life will suddenly become fair. and all of us complainers will have no idea what to do with ourselves.

I've told you a million times Florida boy ... don't feed me straight lines!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 12:31 am