E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
DougNZ
Cichorei Kano
6 posters

"The Grandmaster" - New movie about the teacher of Bruce Lee

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

"The Grandmaster" -  New movie about the teacher of Bruce Lee Empty "The Grandmaster" - New movie about the teacher of Bruce Lee

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:59 am

Lots of buzz about a new movie called "The Grandmaster" which is about Yip Man, Bruce Lee's Kungfu teacher.

Branded as "a movie like you have never seen before", I was immediately irritated by the fake-looking fighting scenes. For any martial artist these are clearly done by actors who do choreography without knowing how to fight. As weird as it is, 40 years after Bruce Lee, very few actors in movies show true exceptional fighting scenes as reflected by speed, power, agility in the way Lee did.

So already now, and without having seen the full movie, I find the scenes disappointing. The Bruce Lee movies had a degree of realistic imperfections, but this movie has all the gadgetery and computer animation of a Hollywood movie with all its fakeness, such as the unrealistic delays of someone 'hanging' in the sky caused by cables, unrealistic timing, tai-sabaki that is simply too slow to be realistic and that can only be the result of a previously agree pattern carried out by someone who does not have the explosive force of a trained martial artist:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/gerald-ford-assassination-attempt-weapon-140205989.html
    DougNZ

"The Grandmaster" -  New movie about the teacher of Bruce Lee Empty Re: "The Grandmaster" - New movie about the teacher of Bruce Lee

Post by DougNZ Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:55 am

Slightly off-topic, though not by much ... a number of times I have taught teenagers how to fight.  They have come to me with no formal teaching and have progressed well.  A few months into training, and riding the wave of beginner over-enthusiasm, they come to training having seen a movie or you-tube clip and query what they have been taught.  For a few hours, they were seduced by the romance of Hollywood and forget what real fighting is about.

One could argue that much of the Western world has been seduced by the romance of Hollywood and forgot what real life is about!  Doesn't everyone live in teams on islands, in mansions or in restaurants???
    Tai-Jutsu
    Tai-Jutsu

"The Grandmaster" -  New movie about the teacher of Bruce Lee Empty Re: "The Grandmaster" - New movie about the teacher of Bruce Lee

Post by Tai-Jutsu Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:17 am

Some of the best fight scenes with martial arts on film or TV, both realistic, semi realistic or stylistic per the type of film are not done in films billed as martial arts films per say.

A History of Violence (Combat Ju Jutsu) The Hunted (Sayoc Kali) The Bourne Identity (Kali,JKD) Bat-Man (KFI, Joker did a sweet Ikyuish arm driven head slam into a pencil) The Americans (Judo, Ju Jutsu, Boxing and Karate) The Equaliser (Ju Jutsu) CVallen (Judo) The last 3 Bond films (Lots of stuff!) and more.

13 Assasins is the last martial arts billed movie I have liked since Ong Bok.

And I bet CK willl agree, Bruce Lee was the Hendrix of martial arts cinema, all stand in his (and Norris's Clapton) light.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:24 am

Tai-Jutsu wrote:Some of the best fight scenes with martial arts on film or TV, both realistic, semi realistic or stylistic per the type of film are not done in films billed as martial arts films per say.

A History of Violence (Combat Ju Jutsu) The Hunted (Sayoc Kali) The Bourne Identity (Kali,JKD) Bat-Man (KFI, Joker did a sweet Ikyuish arm driven head slam into a pencil) The Americans (Judo, Ju Jutsu, Boxing and Karate) The Equaliser (Ju Jutsu) CVallen (Judo) The last 3 Bond films (Lots of stuff!) and more.

And I bet CK willl agree, Bruce Lee was the Hendrix of martial arts cinema, all stand in his (and Norris's Clapton) light.
    You gotta luv someone who can play The Star-spangled Banner by the rhythm of his fists hammering on people's faces.

He seems to have had a thing with nuts though:

aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:Lots of buzz about a new movie called "The Grandmaster" which is about Yip Man, Bruce Lee's Kungfu teacher.

Branded as "a movie like you have never seen before", I was immediately irritated by the fake-looking fighting scenes. For any martial artist these are clearly done by actors who do choreography without knowing how to fight. As weird as it is, 40 years after Bruce Lee, very few actors in movies show true exceptional fighting scenes as reflected by speed, power, agility in the way Lee did.

So already now, and without having seen the full movie, I find the scenes disappointing. The Bruce Lee movies had a degree of realistic imperfections, but this movie has all the gadgetery and computer animation of a Hollywood movie with all its fakeness, such as the unrealistic delays of someone 'hanging' in the sky caused by cables, unrealistic timing, tai-sabaki that is simply too slow to be realistic and that can only be the result of a previously agree pattern carried out by someone who does not have the explosive force of a trained martial artist:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/gerald-ford-assassination-attempt-weapon-140205989.html
    It was done before, a movie about Yip Man, and it wasn't very good. I think it may be a difficult subject matter to make a movie about. But, yes, if you don't have trained martial artist who can act, then you are going to get fake Hollywood fight scenes. Did you see any actual wires? But actually it was Wing Chun. I had picked up a few of Bruce Lee's techniques/skills, trained hard in some of them. Although I disagree with him on some things, some of the ways he did some things/techniques, but that's a differing of opinion. I had his Hopping In Side Kick down pat!!! One time I put a guy over the hood of a car with Bruce Lee's "one inch punch", surprised the hell out of me.
    aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Tai-Jutsu wrote:Some of the best fight scenes with martial arts on film or TV, both realistic, semi realistic or stylistic per the type of film are not done in films billed as martial arts films per say.

You gotta luv someone who can play The Star-spangled Banner by the rhythm of his fists hammering on people's faces.

He seems to have had a thing with nuts though:

SEE!!! You MUST follow up Morote Gari with a Front Thrust Punch to the Groin!!! See Judo people!!!
    aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:07 pm

That'd make a good Poll Question, I'll have to think about that, research it.  What are the Top 20 Greatest Fight Scenes in Movies?

Here is a list of Top 12

http://screenrant.com/top-12-martial-arts-kung-fu-movie-fight-scenes/

I found a list a little while ago, The 5 Greatest Car Chase Scenes in Movies.....

5. The Seven Ups  (1973)
    4. Ronin (1998)
    3. The French Connection (1971)
    2. To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)
    1. Bullitt (1968) - Steve McQueen.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:18 am

aspenrebel wrote:

Here is a list of Top 12  

I found a list a little while ago, The 5 Greatest Car Chase Scenes in Movies.....

5. The Seven Ups  (1973)
    4. Ronin (1998)
    The Greatest Car Chase Scene in Movies was in Blues Brothers not to forget Smokey and the Bandit.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:31 am

Some 'Hollywood' scenes are pretty real. They're just not typically the longer, more popular scenes.

For instance, take Sho Kosugi in Enter the Ninja's bathroom fight scene. Buddy turns around and Kosugi, assuming here he's a master of karate, blasts one right into fellas sternum and fella drops. That's done deal and as real as one could get. Of course, that wouldn't satisfy so they made it longer.

Also, Chuck in Forced Vengeance, at the start of the movie, lays that guy out pretty realistic imo, again assuming he's a traditional karate master.

Karate seems it would have been easy to do realistic on film but the fight scenes would have been too short.lol

Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:45 am

finarashi wrote:
    aspenrebel wrote:

Here is a list of Top 12  

5. The Seven Ups  (1973)
    4. Ronin (1998)
    The Greatest Car Chase Scene in Movies was in Blues Brothers not to forget Smokey and the Bandit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:04 pm