E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+12
noboru
Owe
judoresearcher
Udon
JudoSensei
judoplayer
finarashi
lucubrat
Jonesy
michi
NBK
shin'yu
16 posters

Arima Sumitomo

michi
    michi

Arima Sumitomo Empty Arima Sumitomo

Post by michi Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:22 pm

I am trying to find out a little more about Arima Sumitomo. To my knowledge he is the author of the first english language book on judo. The book is impossible to find and despite it fitting the copyright expiry date rules for reproduction I could not convince a library in Australia to make a pdf file version available. At any rate I was interested in finding a little information about the man should anyone have any insights please do offer them up.
    noboru
    noboru

Arima Sumitomo Empty judo teacher in Gakushuin school in Meiji era

Post by noboru Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:54 pm

On the Gakushuin judo webpage is his name Sumitaka Arima 有馬純臣 as judo teacher in Gakushuin school in Meiji era in years 1892 and 1901-1904 (may be is it my translation wrong).

http://www.gakushuin-judo.jp/modules/pico2/index.php?content_id=6

有馬純臣 先生
    明治20年1月〜明治25年8月
    明治34年6月〜明治37年12月

His some books are available in National Diet Library, you can download them to pdf :

for example: 有馬柔道教範 / Arima jūdō kyōhan from year 1914
    http://kindai.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/933534

I found info about next name Jushin Arima - in some book is coauthor with Sumitaka Arima
    http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=au%3AArima%2C+Junshin.&qt=hot_author

通俗柔道図解 / Tsūzoku jūdō zukai.

Author 有馬純臣著. 有馬純臣. ; ; Junshin Arima
    Publisher: 岡崎屋書店, Tōkyō : Okazakiya Shoten, 1913.

Link to book in National Diet Library:
    http://kindai.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/860394/72
    NBK
    NBK

Arima Sumitomo Empty Re: Arima Sumitomo

Post by NBK Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:02 am

----- deleted ------
    shin'yu

Arima Sumitomo Empty contact

Post by shin'yu Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:13 am

NBK wrote:----- deleted ------

NBK hello , I need to talk to you. you would have some contact e-mail ?
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:54 am

PM, please.
    shin'yu

Post by shin'yu Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:12 am

I can not send or respond MP , however received yours.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:25 am

shin'yu wrote:
    I can not send or respond MP , however received yours.

Check again.

There are multiple Arimas involved in judo. One pair is father and son. Arima was not simply a judo instructor at Gakushuin - he was a regular instructor, and had been a principal of important schools. He is not greatly appreciated for his contributions to judo today but had a distinct impact in his day.

I deleted my post explaining all that because the OP was apparently someone just fishing for info and never even bothered to say thanks for the long post I provided.

Not in the spirit of judo.
    michi
    michi

Post by michi Fri May 06, 2016 10:27 am

I've recently acquired a pdf copy of this first English language judo book by Arima Sumitomo. If anyone is interested I would gladly email it to you via a file sharing site.

Please inbox me you email address if so.

Last edited by michi on Fri May 06, 2016 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
    michi
    michi

Post by michi Wed May 11, 2016 11:33 pm

Arima Sumitomo Arima210
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Thu May 12, 2016 5:57 am

michi wrote:I've recently acquired a pdf copy of this first English language judo book by Arima Sumitomo. If anyone is interested I would gladly email it to you via a file sharing site.

Please inbox me you email address if so.
    I would be very pleased to receive a copy.
    michi
    michi

Post by michi Fri May 13, 2016 2:28 am

All to happy to send it to you, just need an email address to send to
    lucubrat

Post by lucubrat Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:40 am

Hi Michi,

I'd really like to get hold of a copy of Arima Sumitomo's book. I'm a postgraduate researcher at the University of Manchester and would like to look at his chapter on the history of Judo. I've tried to PM you with my email address, but the system won't let me (perhaps because I am a new user). I'm loathe to put my email on here directly, so could you try to PM me?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    lucubrat

Post by lucubrat Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:21 am

lucubrat wrote:Hi Michi,

I'd really like to get hold of a copy of Arima Sumitomo's book. I'm a postgraduate researcher at the University of Manchester and would like to look at his chapter on the history of Judo. I've tried to PM you with my email address, but the system won't let me (perhaps because I am a new user). I'm loathe to put my email on here directly, so could you try to PM me?

Michi, Thanks for your PM. I can't respond, but will make a few posts (hopefully helpful ones) and if that doesn't work, put an email address in here.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:26 pm

lucubrat wrote:Hi Michi,

There is no single version of Arima Sumitomo's book. Even the name changed over time.
    I can send you links to multiple online versions.
    Various versions stayed in print for over 30 years.
    They are commercially available in Japan <US$100, mostly later versions, the older ones tend to stay put. The very earliest versions are pretty rare these days.
    I have a version I carry all the time - 1919 illustrated edition.
    AFAIK they were edited and republished by his son - Arima died pretty young, but was literally one of Kano shihan's first students, along with his (older?) brother.  Both were kazoku, nobility, Gakushuin students, two of the five first of Kano's students.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:33 am

I have been always fascinated by the militaristic bend of this book. OK, Kano only wrote foreword but he clearly approved the book. The book kindof highlights the Japanese navy. Or am I totally in the wrong track.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:09 pm

finarashi wrote:I have been always fascinated by the militaristic bend of this book. OK, Kano only wrote foreword but he clearly approved the book. The book kindof highlights the Japanese navy. Or am I totally in the wrong track.
    How so "in the wrong track."?
    Do you have the right book?
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:15 pm

I'm commenting based on the book "Judo : Japanese physical culture : being a further exposition of jujitsu and similar arts" by Arima, Sumitomo, Tokyo, Japan, Mitsumura, 1908, 116p.
    After picture of puffy Kano facing front piece with names we see
    - dedication to Commander Takeo Hirose Posthumously promoted to 6th grade in Judo and Lieut.commander Takejiro Yuasa 4th grade, both gained valour when japanese navy blockaded Port Arthur
    There is next a insert (four characters) "Grinding the bones and pulverizing the body" by Admiral Togo to author in 1905.
    Then Kanos preface (translated) and authors preface (translated from Japanese edition) where he is praising the "Jaapanese expeditionary forces operating against the Russian armies", "achieving epoch-making victories one after another", "Surely it behoves our peoples remaining at home irrespective of age and sex, to do all in their power to back their fighters"
    Followed by Authors preface to english edition where he "wishes specially to express his profound appreciation of the interest taken in his undertaking by our immortal hero of the Sea of japan, Admiral Togo". Dated 1906

So IMHO there are militaristic words, not typically found in works of Judo.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:43 pm

finarashi wrote:I'm commenting based on the book "Judo : Japanese physical culture : being a further exposition of jujitsu and similar arts" by Arima, Sumitomo, Tokyo, Japan, Mitsumura, 1908, 116p.
    - dedication to Commander Takeo Hirose Posthumously promoted to 6th grade in Judo and Lieut.commander Takejiro Yuasa 4th grade, both gained valour when japanese navy blockaded Port Arthur
    There is next a insert (four characters) "Grinding the bones and pulverizing the body" by Admiral Togo to author in 1905.
    Then Kanos preface (translated) and authors preface (translated from Japanese edition) where he is praising the "Jaapanese expeditionary forces operating against the Russian armies", "achieving epoch-making victories one after another", "Surely it behoves our peoples remaining at home irrespective of age and sex, to do all in their power to back their fighters"
    Followed by Authors preface to english edition where he "wishes specially to express his profound appreciation of the interest taken in his undertaking by our immortal hero of the Sea of japan, Admiral Togo". Dated 1906

Hohoho.....

The Japanese versions are all over the map.

I have to wonder who helped with that English version of the book - there's no clear indication, other than the words of Kano shihan.

Bear in mind that was immediately after the Russo-Japanese War, a very big deal in Japanese history and the lives of all Japanese.

Commander Hirose, and his Naval Academy colleague Lieutenant Yuasa Takejiro were favorites of Kano shihan.

Kano shihan had a soft spot for the navy, as it was originally in Tsukiji (site of today's famous giant fishmarket), but when it moved to the current location on Etajima, Hirose (who had been a student in Kano's private juku, along with Yuasa), convinced the head of the academy to open a judo dojo. (That became the first branch of the Kodokan, and had many famous students.)

Commander Hirose became famous after he died in the blockade of Port Arthur, and became a national hero on the level of the 47 ronin.

NBK
    judoplayer
    judoplayer

Arima Sumitomo Empty Judo:japanese Pysical Culture

Post by judoplayer Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:11 am

Hello,

in Robert W. Smith book "A complete Guide to Judo - Its story and Practice" by Charles E. Tuttle Co., 1958, you find a reprint from Arima's Judo book. Smith's book is not so rare and it should easy to get it in a good library. There is a Editor's Note in Smith's book:

"Students an would-be students as well as bibliophiles who treasure the reissuance of a work long out of print will be happy with this selection from S. Arima's treatise, "Judo: Japanese Physical Culture," first published in Tokyo in 1906. The original text has been preserved, but new photos were required. T. Ishikawa (7 dan), twice Judo Champion of Japan (1449-1950), and D. Draeger (4 dan) are subjects of the new illustrations (see Plates 10-48). The Editor has condensed the work somewhat by eliding some sections either beyond the grasp of a lay reader or no longer applicable to the modern evolved form of Judo as practiced today"

Kano's preface is dated with "December, 1904".
    The chapters in the reprint are:

Preface by Jigoro Kano

I. What is Judo
    II. Equipment
    1. Dojo
    2. Attire
    III. Rationale
    1. Means of Instruction
    2. Kind of Tricks
    IV. Important Principles
    1. Posture and the State of Mind
    2. Tsukuri and Kake
    3. Where and How to Seize
    4. How to Advance or Retreat
    5. How to Fall
    6. Some Useful Advice for Students
    V. Principal Techniques
    1. Nagewaza (Throwing Techniques)
    A. Tewaza (Hand Techniques)
    B. Koshiwaza (Waist Techniques)
    C. Ashiwaza (Leg Techniques)
    D. Sutemiwaza (Sacrifice Techniques)

2. Katamewaza (Ground Techniques)
    A. Osaekomi (Immobilization)
    B. Shimewaza (Choking Techniques)
    C. Gyaku (Locks)
    VI. Final Notes

NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:56 pm

NBK wrote:
    finarashi wrote:I'm commenting based on the book "Judo : Japanese physical culture : being a further exposition of jujitsu and similar arts" by Arima, Sumitomo, Tokyo, Japan, Mitsumura, 1908, 116p.

Hohoho.....

I have to wonder who helped with that English version of the book - there's no clear indication, other than the words of Kano shihan.

Bear in mind that was immediately after the Russo-Japanese War, a very big deal in Japanese history and the lives of all Japanese.

Commander Hirose, and his Naval Academy colleague Lieutenant Yuasa Takejiro were favorites of Kano shihan.

Kano shihan had a soft spot for the navy, as it was originally in Tsukiji (site of today's famous giant fishmarket), but when it moved to the current location on Etajima, Hirose (who had been a student in Kano's private juku, along with Yuasa), convinced the head of the academy to open a judo dojo.  (That became the first branch of the Kodokan, and had many famous students.)  

Commander Hirose became famous after he died in the blockade of Port Arthur, and became a national hero on the level of the 47 ronin.

NBK
    Further to the above....

Admiral Togo was the first naval hero in modern Japanese history - sank 2/3 of the Russian fleet at the Battle of Tsushima Straits without serious Japanese loss. A classic battle still studied today. A huge shock to the world, as it was thought that the Russians would stomp the new Japanese fleet.

His calligraphy and comments were highly sought and treasured throughout his long life, and even decades afterwards used in many books. He was lionized for decades, and greatly admired today. As far as I can tell he was a bit of kenjutsuka, no apparent link to judo. I've searched the Kodokan roles for him without luck. Certainly a lot of his staff were Kodokan members, including some that became admirals and prime ministers much later in life.

And as far as militarism goes, that's pretty mild stuff.

There's a lot more to tell but as I've started writing I'll get back to that, because if I put it all here for free no one will buy the book.

Lance Gatling
    JudoSensei
    JudoSensei

Post by JudoSensei Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:41 am

We certainly will buy the book. Hopefully it will be ready some time before CK's book (never?).
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:56 pm

NBK wrote:
    NBK wrote:

Hohoho.....

Kano shihan had a soft spot for the navy, as it was originally in Tsukiji (site of today's famous giant fishmarket), but when it moved to the current location on Etajima, Hirose (who had been a student in Kano's private juku, along with Yuasa), convinced the head of the academy to open a judo dojo.  (That became the first branch of the Kodokan, and had many famous students.)  

NBK
    Further to the above....

Admiral Togo was the first naval hero in modern Japanese history - sank 2/3 of the Russian fleet at the Battle of Tsushima Straits without serious Japanese loss.  A classic battle still studied today. A huge shock to the world, as it was thought that the Russians would stomp the new Japanese fleet.

His calligraphy and comments were highly sought and treasured throughout his long life, and even decades afterwards used in many books. He was lionized for decades, and greatly admired today. As far as I can tell he was a bit of kenjutsuka, no apparent link to judo. I've searched the Kodokan roles for him without luck. Certainly a lot of his staff were Kodokan members, including some that became admirals and prime ministers much later in life.

And as far as militarism goes, that's pretty mild stuff.  

There's a lot more to tell but as I've started writing I'll get back to that, because if I put it all here for free no one will buy the book.

Lance Gatling

Looking forwards to the book.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:15 am

Admiral Togo was so loved that a Finnish company launched in 1980s a series of beers called admiral (Amiraali) O.K. the beer and the bottle were always the same, but the label had different famous admirals.
    When japanese found out they started importing this beer. And when Finns stopped the manufacture they promptly bootlegged the beer.
    And you can still buy it!
    Admiral beer ad
    judoplayer
    judoplayer

Arima Sumitomo Empty Arima Judo

Post by judoplayer Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:51 am

this is my Japanese version of Arima's Judo book. If I'm not wrong the translation and date of this book is:"Popular Judo illustration, 4 edition, October 1907".

Arima Sumitomo Arima%20Judo-1907
    Udon
    Udon

Post by Udon Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:22 am

NBK, I, for one , will buy your book. Do you have any idea when it will be available?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:25 pm