E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+9
Ben Reinhardt
medo
Ricebale
Cichorei Kano
judo66
hedgehogey
still learning
Rightintheface
samsmith2424
13 posters

one sided sumi gaeshi-

Ricebale
    Ricebale

one sided sumi gaeshi- - Page 2 Empty Re: one sided sumi gaeshi-

Post by Ricebale Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Medo is the man, his observations are spot on
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:18 am

Ricebale wrote:Medo is the man, his observations are spot on

It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon ...

tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:46 am

medo wrote:
    tafftaz wrote:
    medo wrote:
    samsmith2424 wrote:It is hard now to relate to competitive grading as here it is technical grading only for the Kyu grades. Thanks for writing your experience.
    Yes it seems common these days not to contest at grades of kyu level, the premise seems to be, not loose students before they start actively testing their learn't technical skill against other students of the same grade.

Juries out if this improves judo all depends on the knowledge and technical ability of the person teaching and judging the techniques in there syllabus.  

A month ago I had a 54 yr old test for his technical 1st dan. I can honestly say that his skill level and knowledge of NNK has improved immeasurably since he started training for his technical dan grade test. He had a very good score.
    I was old school gradings, line ups and then theory. But I was younger. Now, although I had some shiai points toward my third dan, I tested for it under the technical grading. High score, high pass, but I have always practised nnk,knk throughout my judo life. Most people only learn them to grade and their poor technique shows through in these gradings.
    I contested all my grades in shiai. So did my son and daughter. I can see the merit of both systems and any way of keeping people interested in judo should be embraced.

I understand that most with advancing age taking grades do so through the technical side, which is I believe should be the way.
    Problems I have with younger grades going through technical only grade, is just demonstrating techniques on a willing partner.  Bearing in mind that modern day teachings tend to be speed/strength Judo missing out finer points such as kuzushi/tsuri/ tai sabaki/debana so its all down to the knowledge of the instructor or the person judging the techniques or “scoring”.

If most kyu gradings are done at club level then perhaps we will have an even greater problem of retention at the 1st kyu/dan level when they find their instructors teaching is crap and they just wasted perhaps ten years learning a syllabus that they cannot pull of one technique against a resisting opponent.

Just my two cents worth way off topic I know.

I could not agree more medo. I was just making a point of how someone preparing for many months , for a technical dan grading, has improved vastly on a technical level.
    Personally I still believe that a shiai element should be in any grading up to 35yrs of age and then a choice offered at any age after.

medo

Post by medo Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:01 am

Ricebale wrote:Medo is the man, his observations are spot on

nooooooo I like pointing to the moon, spot on bigC.

Just another point any association is as good as the syllabus they use even more so if grading's take place within the club up to Dan grade. If that syllabus relies solely on speed action/reaction/combinations, then kuzushi ect perhaps has less importance.

Little food for thought as the forum is very quiet?
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:37 am

The only people I know who are /were very good at Yoko Sumi Gaeshi are PETER RANDA (Germany) and FRANK RODI (Sydney University Judo Club), both of these gentlemen are quite adept at getting Kusushi to work in a lateral direction while continuing a rotating motion to effect the Waza.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:42 am