E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Inventory of audio recordings of Kanō Jigorō

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Inventory of audio recordings of Kanō Jigorō Empty Inventory of audio recordings of Kanō Jigorō

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:32 pm

I am curious if anybody has ever come across an inventory of eventual audio recordings of Kanō Jigorō. Kanō-shihan died in May of 1938, but spoken full-length movies like The Jazz Singer had existed since 1927, with more elementary recordings being even much older. There were even full-color movies, spoken, available from the 1930s.

To the best of my knowledge there have not been any commercial releases of voice recordings of Kanō Jigorō, but someone reading here might know something I don't. So, please, if you have useful information on this topic, I invite you to share it.
    wdax

Inventory of audio recordings of Kanō Jigorō Empty Re: Inventory of audio recordings of Kanō Jigorō

Post by wdax Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:32 pm

There should be a lot in the archives of broadcast stations. I know, that there is something in the "Deutsches Rundfunkarchiv", but there is no access for the "ordinary" public. I'm sure NHK must have something, too.
    NBK
    NBK

Inventory of audio recordings of Kanō Jigorō Empty Re: Inventory of audio recordings of Kanō Jigorō

Post by NBK Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:27 pm

NHK archives are notoriously inaccessible - they have decades of stunningly well produced material and news reels, most never sees the light of day. It comes from being a quasi-govt monopoly - they have the business acumen of a bowl of gladiola.

I tried to figure out how to get a collection of NHK's vast coverage of martial arts into a collection of videos and couldn't get anyone to figure out why they'd bother - they aren't interested in money, they aren't interested in education, they just do what they do and the archives keep piling up....

So, I don't know how you get anything useful out of them. They did provide some footage for Kano shihan's 150 yr anniversary DVD, very good stuff, then denied the memorial group permission to put it on the internet, withholding copyright permission, so the only way to see it was to get your own copy of the DVD. It was very well done.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:18 pm