E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Question re: judo technique for BJJ comp

Rightintheface

Question re: judo technique for BJJ comp Empty Question re: judo technique for BJJ comp

Post by Rightintheface Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:41 am

Hey guys. I'm doing another BJJ tourney in January, and I need some advice. During gi matches, BJJ'ers tend to just frame you out for a really long time and are super defensive on the feet. In my last tourney, I managed a couple little junk sweeps but no "ippon-worthy" techniques. That will be a goal of mine in January. Any advice on strategy, gripping, throws against more defensive guys, youtube videos to check out, etc?
    The local judo club is taking a hiatus until the new year so right now I am doing this largely by myself.
    Thanks.
    tafftaz

Question re: judo technique for BJJ comp Empty Re: Question re: judo technique for BJJ comp

Post by tafftaz Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:05 am

Jimmy pedro has some good stuff on youtube regarding judo for bjj. Also any gripping techniques by Neil Adams are well worth looking at. It would be worth investinmg in his Masterclass book on grips. A lot of good stuff that can be used against defensive players.
    seatea
    seatea

Question re: judo technique for BJJ comp Empty Re: Question re: judo technique for BJJ comp

Post by seatea Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:24 am

Rightintheface wrote:I managed a couple little junk sweeps but no "ippon-worthy" techniques. That will be a goal of mine in January.

Why? It won't score you any extra points (assuming it's under IBJJF rules).
    medo

Post by medo Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:43 am

Defensive are we talking the butt scooting defense Shocked think I would just aim to do a yoko ukemi slappin the face as I landed in their lap  Razz
    Rightintheface

Post by Rightintheface Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 am

Seatea, despite preferring the bjj competiion ruleset, I'm still interested in improving judo technique.
    By defensive I mean crouching and stiff arming only to eventually pull guard.
    Rightintheface

Post by Rightintheface Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:05 am

Tafftaz, I've been watching those Jimmy Pedro videos. Very helpful.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:38 am

Rightintheface wrote:Hey guys. I'm doing another BJJ tourney in January, and I need some advice. During gi matches, BJJ'ers tend to just frame you out for a really long time and are super defensive on the feet. In my last tourney, I managed a couple little junk sweeps but no "ippon-worthy" techniques. That will be a goal of mine in January. Any advice on strategy, gripping, throws against more defensive guys, youtube videos to check out, etc?
    The local judo club is taking a hiatus until the new year so right now I am doing this largely by myself.
    Thanks.

Is this the same RITF from the old forum?
    Rightintheface

Post by Rightintheface Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:16 am

Yes, it's the same old RITF. Nobody is crazy enough to impersonate me. Smile

Post by Guest Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:22 am

Rightintheface wrote:Yes, it's the same old RITF. Nobody is crazy enough to impersonate me. Smile

Haha, that’s true!

If I recall correctly the last time I saw a post from you I *think* you had a new son in your life. I may be wrong. Whether I’m right or wrong I hope all is well with you.

As for your original question in my opinion since we’re talking about a BJJ tournament the best thing for you to do is to control and win the gripping match. Even in Judo, generally speaking, whoever grips first and gets their dominant grip is going to win the match. If talking about a right vs. right situation it’s important to keep his right hand off of your lapel while making sure you have your right hand on his lapel. I also feel it’s important to keep moving and keep disrupting his balance while maintaining yours. This should allow you for more opportunities to throw while preventing him from pulling guard because it’s not easy to pull guard when he can’t put his dominant hand on you. It’s not easy to practice all of this in the few remaining weeks left till January but in my mind if there’s one thing you can take away from my post that’s to secure and control his dominant hand and keep it off your gi.
    Rightintheface

Post by Rightintheface Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:02 am

My son is 3 now, thank you for remembering. Both he and his older sister are doing quite well!
    I'll fo what I can to drill the gripfighting stuff. Finding training time is tough right now.
    On the positive side, though, I find lots of time to get in shape (lifting and cardio) so at least I'm strong and don't get tired. Even a 30 lb total weight cut didn't cause me to gas out. Felt good about that at my last tourney.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:12 pm