E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+9
Richard Riehle
NittyRanks
Cichorei Kano
Stacey
Neil G
afulldeck
Mountain Storm
JakubMB
Vin
13 posters

Updated IJF Judo Gi Rules for 2014

Vin
    Vin

Updated IJF Judo Gi Rules for 2014 Empty Updated IJF Judo Gi Rules for 2014

Post by Vin Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:18 pm

As the Distributor of ADIDAS, DANRHO and MIZUNO brand Judo gi in the United States, Kodokangear is relating the latest information from the International Judo Federation.

Recently, the IJF announced that there will be two modifications to the current IJF Gi rules that will go into effect on January 1, 2014. These two changes are as follows…

Kodokangear Blog: New IJF Gi Rules
    JakubMB

Updated IJF Judo Gi Rules for 2014 Empty Re: Updated IJF Judo Gi Rules for 2014

Post by JakubMB Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:52 pm

Lol... My old Mizuno is still legit! It used to be too big though... Now it isn't Wink
    Mountain Storm

Post by Mountain Storm Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:20 pm

Only until 01 April 2015.............

Madam, Sir,
    With regards to the below information, we would like to bring you some precisions:

On 1 January 2014 :
    The system of control of the judogi changes only on 2 points:

- Judogi sleeves must cover up the full arm including wrist in the control position of the judogi jacket (open arms).

- The distance between the sternum top and the lapel crossing point of the jacket vertically must be less than 10cm.

On 1 April 2015: a new regulation on the fabric material property and width of collar will be implemented.

======

SUBJECT: NEW JUDOGI REGULATION

Madam, Mister,

Please be advised that starting from 01 January 2014, during the IJF competitions, the athletes shall wear judogi with sleeves which cover up the full arm including wrist in the control position (open arms). For the control of the crossing points: judogi must be crossed in a regular way, left shirt tail above right shirt tail, the belt must be tied in the regular way above the hips. The distance between the sternum top and the lapels crossing point of the jacket in the vertical direction must be less than 10cm.
    The distance, between 2 lapels of the jacket, horizontally, needs to be of a minimum of 20 cm. (See drawing as attachment).

Besides, for your information, from 01 April 2015, a new Judogi regulations will be enforced.

The modification concerns the fabric material property, point 2a(4): The fabric weight (after new and unused jacket is washed and dried) must be between 700g/㎡ and 750g/㎡,and regarding the width of collar point 2c(1) Width of collar must be 4 cm maximum. Collar must be sewn with 4-rows. Collar must be easily folded vertically( figure 11A).

In attached files you will find the reference document “ IJF JUDOGI Regulation” DTJ 03/2011.

These new rules will provide visual modifications of the Official IJF labels.

Please acquainted with this information, should you have any request or require any other information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
    General Secretary http://www.teamusa.org/.../Judogi-Regulation-Modification
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:58 am

JakubMB wrote:Lol... My old Mizuno is still legit! It used to be too big though... Now it isn't Wink

I hope manufactures start making Gis with various arm lengths for the same body size.
    Neil G
    Neil G

Post by Neil G Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:18 am

afulldeck wrote:
    JakubMB wrote:Lol... My old Mizuno is still legit! It used to be too big though... Now it isn't Wink

I hope manufactures start making Gis with various arm lengths for the same body size.
    KuSakura does.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:03 am

hold on to your old gi, folks; in 6 months it will be legal again. If not for you, for some clubmate.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:16 am

The IJF's commercial marketing strategy is brilliant and reminds of Microsoft.

See, I always by top-quality gi. The gi-shop then doesn't see me for the next 8-12 years. The same applied when I competed. The gi-business was not a glamour one in the 1970s. Then around 1992 the IJF came with the idea to create a blue gi, hence forcing everyone who did international competition, irrespective of whether their gi were still in good order or not, to by an extra or two extra blue gi. The gi shops suddenly had an unexpected increased in selling number.

The IJF then applied a similar strategy later with its "approved gi", and now with changes in gi requirements. Indeed like the Microsoft strategy where they used to build all these new applications and formats that would only run with the latest operating system forcing people to continuously by new nonsense switching from 3.1 to 3.11 to Win95, to Win97, to Win NT, to Win2000, WinMe, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8 and so on and so on.

The good thing is that the scenarios of inventiveness aren't finished yet. The IJF could, for example, change the color of the gi depending on the contest level, for example, blue and white gi for open tournaments, green and white for contintental championships, yellow and white for world championships, and orange and white on the Olympics. Commerce guaranteed. If this doesn't work they could also apply the Adobe strategy and in future no longer allow judoka to bring or buy their own gi. Instead, a judoka would only be allowed to buy a monthly subscription to IJF gi, in return for which the IJF at the tournament will make a gi available. The IJF could then fabricate a convincing explanation such as for example that this is to prevent fraud in gi, so that only gi made available by themselves are allowed. Sei-ryoku zen'yô indeed can also be applied in the financial world, so much is certain !
    JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:21 am

I'm planning on buying a new kit this summer. My friend is coming back from Japan and I want to cpaitalize on that. Initially I wanted to buy a Mizuno Yusho. As I said I already own one, but it was bought about 8 years ago. I got lucky cause I could pay two times less than in Poland due to low yen ratings. Now I'm thinking KuSakura JOI vs Mizuno Yusho. Fortunately my judo is not good enough for me to need to buy a blue gi Wink.
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:20 am

Yes because we don't have enough rules already.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:25 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:The IJF's commercial marketing strategy is brilliant and reminds of Microsoft.

See, I always by top-quality gi. The gi-shop then doesn't see me for the next 8-12 years. The same applied when I competed. The gi-business was not a glamour one in the 1970s. Then around 1992 the IJF came with the idea to create a blue gi, hence forcing everyone who did international competition, irrespective of whether their gi were still in good order or not, to by an extra or two extra blue gi. The gi shops suddenly had an unexpected increased in selling number.

The IJF then applied a similar strategy later with its "approved gi", and now with changes in gi requirements. Indeed like the Microsoft strategy where they used to build all these new applications and formats that would only run with the latest operating system forcing people to continuously by new nonsense switching from 3.1 to 3.11 to Win95, to Win97, to Win NT, to Win2000, WinMe, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8 and so on and so on.

The good thing is that the scenarios of inventiveness aren't finished yet. The IJF could, for example, change the color of the gi depending on the contest level, for example, blue and white gi for open tournaments, green and white for contintental championships, yellow and white for world championships, and orange and white on the Olympics. Commerce guaranteed. If this doesn't work they could also apply the Adobe strategy and in future no longer allow judoka to bring or buy their own gi. Instead, a judoka would only be allowed to buy a monthly subscription to IJF gi, in return for which the IJF at the tournament will make a gi available. The IJF could then fabricate a convincing explanation such as for example that this is to prevent fraud in gi, so that only gi made available by themselves are allowed. Sei-ryoku zen'yô indeed can also be applied in the financial world, so much is certain !

Not finished? Gi fraud? This is why I never, ever buy Microsoft software nor Adobe. Open source is the why to go. Long live the white gi :-)
    Richard Riehle

Post by Richard Riehle Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:42 am

NittyRanks wrote:Yes because we don't have enough rules already.

"The last act of a dying organization is to enlarge the rule book."

finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:03 am

Richard Riehle wrote:
    NittyRanks wrote:Yes because we don't have enough rules already.

"The last act of a dying organization is to enlarge the rule book."

...and how large is the rule book of Golf? (including decisions)
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:44 am

I would say this is a test of character for NGBs. There is no need to mandate IJF approved judogi in domestic competitions so the number of judo athletes who have to have the contemporary IJF standard would, in that instance, be quite small.
    Vin
    Vin

Post by Vin Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:15 am

I quite agree with you, and would be great if the NGBs do not mandate this system for domestic tournaments. The problem I see would be the competitors going to IJF tournaments should be use to wearing the same gi for all their competition. The analogy would be a race car driver wouldn't be driving a different car on race day that they practice in.

Jonesy wrote:I would say this is a test of character for NGBs. There is no need to mandate IJF approved judogi in domestic competitions so the number of judo athletes who have to have the contemporary IJF standard would, in that instance, be quite small.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:21 am

I think that the impact a judogi has on performance is minimal - and probably psychological mainly, and those active on the IJF Grand Prix circuit tend not to compete in domestic events anyway.
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:54 am

I have talked to the guys at KuSakura and they said the rule changes kind of play havoc with the guys at the factory. A rep told me they are trying to play close attention to sleeve lengths.

JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:12 pm

Jonesy wrote:I think that the impact a judogi has on performance is minimal - and probably psychological mainly, and those active on the IJF Grand Prix circuit tend not to compete in domestic events anyway.

Maybe, but some athletes really think it has. Ie. Travis Stevens posted a status on facebook, that he will not go to GS Paris, because, he's still waiting for his custom judogi from, Mizuno. By the time of the tournament it will have been ready, but wouldn't have the time to train in it and get used to it. It is a comfort-related thing. I don't know. I personally don't care cause I'm not an international fighter (dang! I haven't competed in.... 4 years or so), but maybe at that level every single, even the smallest edge counts.

BTW, if they really want to boost sales of judogi, just limit them to single weaves. This would probably make them much less durable and top players who train a lot, will have to buy more.Wink I think that overall the companies, which can afford to pay for the certification of their judogi are more or less happy with the changes. Sure, it will cause some problems with production and sizing, but after all they earn money by selling their gear. IJF is happy, manufacturers are happy, the players are mad. In IJF's matrix all is fine...
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:55 pm

He wrote this: "@ijf To those of you who keep giving me Crap for not going to Paris I would like to inform you that even if you bought me a ticket and I got on the plane and made weight. I still couldn't compete because I don't own a judo gi that is IJF Legal. We received the Official Rules on Gi's in the end of December Mizuno won't have my Gi ready until the end of January. Due to the rule change USA Judo and the coaching staff along with myself feel it's best to wait one extra week so I can wash and at least practice in the Gi the IJF expects me to compete in before I actually compete. Even if it's for a week!"

Is it not the same for all competitors at that event?
    JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Jonesy wrote:

That's exactly what I thought. That's why I wrote 'some athletes'. Almost every single competitor is going to have a new kit at that tournament. But you know Travis is competing in bjj at the time of GS Paris. I really don't think the judogi argument is the only one. On the other hand he does say he wants to get the Olympic Gold in Rio, but at the same moment he decides not to go to one of the biggest tournament in the IJF circuit and insteda goes to bjj tourney. I understand that both arts are important to him, as he often emphasised, but it creates a cognitive dissonance. But we digress and I really like Travis. He's tough and mean and I wish him all the best.

As for the regulations themselves, they are ludricous, because there are competitors from poorer countries whom cannot afford a a new set of kit every year and don't have massive sponsor to support their pursuit for a bit of judo glory. Even here in Poland, where it's tough, but hardly the toughest people complain. I.e. a new Mizuno Yusho, a Green Hill or Adidas is about 700 PLN. You can buy an IJF certified Noris Olympique for over 500, Green Hill jduogis are t. It's a hell lot of money when you earn 1200-1600 and have to pay the bills and all... If you want to compete you need to have money to travel and stuff. This is just unfair and financially exclusive.

EDIT - I confused Rio and Tokyo...

Last edited by JakubMB on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:11 pm

JakubMB wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:

That's exactly what I thought. That's why I wrote 'some athletes'. Almost every single competitor is going to have a new kit at that tournament. But you know Travis is competing in bjj at the time of GS Paris. I really don't think the judogi argument is the only one. On the other hand he does say he wants to get the Olympic Gold in Tokyo, but at the same moment he decides not to go to one of the biggest tournament in the IJF circuit and insteda goes to bjj tourney. I understand that both arts are important to him, as he often emphasised, but it creates a cognitive dissonance. But we digress and I really like Travis. He's tough and mean and I wish him all the best.

As for the regulations themselves, they are ludricous, because there are competitors from poorer countries whom cannot afford a a new set of kit every year and don't have massive sponsor to support their pursuit for a bit of judo glory. Even here in Poland, where it's tough, but hardly the toughest people complain. I.e. a new Mizuno Yusho, a Green Hill or Adidas is about 700 PLN. You can buy an IJF certified Noris Olympique for over 500, Green Hill jduogis are t. It's a hell lot of money when you earn 1200-1600 and have to pay the bills and all... If you want to compete you need to have money to travel and stuff. This is just unfair and financially exclusive.
    have you ever thought that maybe ... just maybe there might be countries (not to point out the specific countries influntial in IJF) that might like the idea that athletes from poorer countries will not have as good chance to compete as Judoka from their countries.
    JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:25 pm

finarashi wrote:
    have you ever thought that maybe ... just maybe there might be countries (not to point out the specific countries influntial in IJF) that might like the idea that athletes from poorer countries will not have as good chance to compete as Judoka from their countries.

I have. I'm young and idealistic, but not naive.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:48 pm

finarashi wrote:have you ever thought that maybe ... just maybe there might be countries (not to point out the specific countries influntial in IJF)
    that might like the idea that athletes from poorer countries will not have as good chance to compete as Judoka from their countries.
    No, that wouldn't be fair, would it ?
     silent 
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:38 am

Hatashita is announcing today that Moses has come down from the mountain, well, IJF has released a new judogi ruling that will allow additional advertising and embroidery on the judogi. There was nothing else in the announcement.
    The International Judo Federation has stated additional embroidery/advertising are on the gis are now LEGAL. Check out the official statement and graphic from the IJF:
    Maybe we can just go ahead and get sponsors like Nascar or branding plastered all over like BJJ?
    https://www.hatashitasports.com/newsletter.php
    https://m.facebook.com/HatashitaSports/photos/a.148198175295999.30947.144258952356588/632943660154779/?type=1&source=57&ref=m_notif&notif_t=share_wall_create
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:03 pm

IMHO there was just one small additional ad to the lapel.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 pm