E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum


+8
Davaro
DougNZ
afulldeck
OldeEnglishD
tafftaz
Cichorei Kano
JudoSensei
JudoStu
12 posters

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    JudoStu
    JudoStu


    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 51
    Location : UK

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by JudoStu Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 pm

    Just wanted to share with you guys.
    The last part of my grading invovled doing the first set of Nage no kata which I enjoyed learning and performing.
    I've a new found respect for kata since actually practising it properly and can see the benefit of learning it now.

    Anyway, next stop black belt pale 
    JudoSensei
    JudoSensei


    Posts : 171
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Location : California

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by JudoSensei Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:13 am

    Congratulations. Ikkyu is the best kyu.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest


    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:14 am

    JudoStu wrote:Just wanted to share with you guys.
    The last part of my grading invovled doing the first set of Nage no kata which I enjoyed learning and performing.
    I've a new found respect for kata since actually practising it properly and can see the benefit of learning it now.

    Anyway, next stop black belt pale 

    Congratulations Stu! That is wonderful news!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano


    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 864
    Location : the Holy See

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:04 am

    JudoStu wrote:Just wanted to share with you guys.
    The last part of my grading invovled doing the first set of Nage no kata which I enjoyed learning and performing.
    I've a new found respect for kata since actually practising it properly and can see the benefit of learning it now.

    Anyway, next stop black belt pale 

    Congratulations with your achievement, JudoStu !
    avatar
    tafftaz


    Posts : 330
    Join date : 2012-12-31
    Age : 59
    Location : Wales, UK

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by tafftaz Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:58 am

    Well done Stu.
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD


    Posts : 94
    Join date : 2012-12-28
    Location : Michigan

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by OldeEnglishD Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38 pm

    Congrats Stu!
    afulldeck
    afulldeck


    Posts : 377
    Join date : 2012-12-30

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by afulldeck Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:00 am

    Congrats! Shodan is now in sight :-)
    JudoStu
    JudoStu


    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 51
    Location : UK

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by JudoStu Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:14 am

    afulldeck wrote:Congrats! Shodan is now in sight :-)
     
    It is but I feel far from worthy
    avatar
    DougNZ


    Posts : 405
    Join date : 2013-01-28

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by DougNZ Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:49 am

    JudoStu wrote:
    afulldeck wrote:Congrats! Shodan is now in sight :-)
     
    It is but I feel far from worthy

    It's funny but often a yudansha's 'valuation' on a shodan is quite different to an ikkyu's. Many mudansha see shodan as the end goal whilst yudansha (and particularly kodansha) see it as what it is - the beginning step. I know one sensei who has trained 108 brown belts but only 12 to black belt. Most did not feel worthy ...
    JudoStu
    JudoStu


    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 51
    Location : UK

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by JudoStu Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:13 pm

    DougNZ wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    afulldeck wrote:Congrats! Shodan is now in sight :-)
     
    It is but I feel far from worthy

    It's funny but often a yudansha's 'valuation' on a shodan is quite different to an ikkyu's.  Many mudansha see shodan as the end goal whilst yudansha (and particularly kodansha) see it as what it is - the beginning step.  I know one sensei who has trained 108 brown belts but only 12 to black belt. Most did not feel worthy ...

    I am now the highest ranked kyu grade at my club and therefore feel like I should be better than everyone else. When we are practising throws I feel under pressure to be able to perform the technique better than everyone else. I can imagine this will pressure will double when I become a shodan.
    Davaro
    Davaro


    Posts : 224
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Location : South Africa

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Davaro Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:11 am

    JudoStu wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    afulldeck wrote:Congrats! Shodan is now in sight :-)
     
    It is but I feel far from worthy

    It's funny but often a yudansha's 'valuation' on a shodan is quite different to an ikkyu's.  Many mudansha see shodan as the end goal whilst yudansha (and particularly kodansha) see it as what it is - the beginning step.  I know one sensei who has trained 108 brown belts but only 12 to black belt. Most did not feel worthy ...

    I am now the highest ranked kyu grade at my club and therefore feel like I should be better than everyone else. When we are practising throws I feel under pressure to be able to perform the technique better than everyone else. I can imagine this will pressure will double when I become a shodan.

    It should not be like that at all. The step to shodan seems to most kyu grades as an almost impossible leap into the unknown and mystical place where black belts are all suddenly experts at all things judo and beyond. I know. I was Ikyu for many many years... I even trained some from orange belt who eventually passed me and became shodans whilst I remained ikyu.

    Trust me. Try to get that shodan behind you as soon as possible. No more than a year from now. The longer you wait, the more you will begin to fear it. This seems irrational but is an obstacle, in my own humble opinion, that causes many brown belts from becoming black belts.

    Once you get that dan grading behind you, you will tend to realise more of your own potential with less pressure.

    Congrats on the ikyu btw. Its not easy being an "older" beginner. Most give it up sooner.

    I think you will make a fine shodan soon. Wink 
    JudoStu
    JudoStu


    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 51
    Location : UK

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by JudoStu Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:22 pm

    Davaro wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    afulldeck wrote:Congrats! Shodan is now in sight :-)
     
    It is but I feel far from worthy

    It's funny but often a yudansha's 'valuation' on a shodan is quite different to an ikkyu's.  Many mudansha see shodan as the end goal whilst yudansha (and particularly kodansha) see it as what it is - the beginning step.  I know one sensei who has trained 108 brown belts but only 12 to black belt. Most did not feel worthy ...

    I am now the highest ranked kyu grade at my club and therefore feel like I should be better than everyone else. When we are practising throws I feel under pressure to be able to perform the technique better than everyone else. I can imagine this will pressure will double when I become a shodan.

    It should not be like that at all. The step to shodan seems to most kyu grades as an almost impossible leap into the unknown and mystical place where black belts are all suddenly experts at all things judo and beyond. I know. I was Ikyu for many many years... I even trained some from orange belt who eventually passed me and became shodans whilst I remained ikyu.

    Trust me. Try to get that shodan behind you as soon as possible. No more than a year from now. The longer you wait, the more you will begin to fear it. This seems irrational but is an obstacle, in my own humble opinion, that causes many brown belts from becoming black belts.

    Once you get that dan grading behind you, you will tend to realise more of your own potential with less pressure.

    Congrats on the ikyu btw. Its not easy being an "older" beginner. Most give it up sooner.

    I think you will make a fine shodan soon. Wink 

    thanks for the words of encouragement. My instructor also thinks I should aim to get my shodan by the end of the year for the reasons you stated above and also because, lets face it, im not getting any younger and competing will only get harder.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano


    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 864
    Location : the Holy See

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:55 am

    Davaro wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    afulldeck wrote:Congrats! Shodan is now in sight :-)
     
    It is but I feel far from worthy

    It's funny but often a yudansha's 'valuation' on a shodan is quite different to an ikkyu's.  Many mudansha see shodan as the end goal whilst yudansha (and particularly kodansha) see it as what it is - the beginning step.  I know one sensei who has trained 108 brown belts but only 12 to black belt. Most did not feel worthy ...

    I am now the highest ranked kyu grade at my club and therefore feel like I should be better than everyone else. When we are practising throws I feel under pressure to be able to perform the technique better than everyone else. I can imagine this will pressure will double when I become a shodan.

    It should not be like that at all. The step to shodan seems to most kyu grades as an almost impossible leap into the unknown and mystical place where black belts are all suddenly experts at all things judo and beyond. I know. I was Ikyu for many many years... I even trained some from orange belt who eventually passed me and became shodans whilst I remained ikyu.

    Trust me. Try to get that shodan behind you as soon as possible. No more than a year from now. The longer you wait, the more you will begin to fear it.

    And what if the federation's required minimal time-in-grade is longer ?

    When I obtained my shodan, minimal time-in-grade from 1st kyû to shodan was 1 year for people who had obtained all the necessary tsukinami-shiai points, but 3 years for those without 10 shiai point, thus usually people of a certain age or people who weren't the best fighters.
    Davaro
    Davaro


    Posts : 224
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Location : South Africa

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Davaro Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:10 am

    @ CK

    I think most of the (European) syllabi require 1 year TIG for seniors going from ikyu to shodan.

    Perhaps I just incorrect assumed that was the case here hence my comment of a year from now...

    Quite correct that he will have to comply with whatever rules his federation places on grading. I also don't know about competition points etc so clearly he will have to get all he requires. Where I am, one can accrue points from not only competition but also refereeing, table official duties, and executive duties (such as on a regional committee or serving on the national federation fe)

    Notwithstanding the above, my point being he should aim to get it as soon as possible. Not leave it for a few years if he does not have to.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano


    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 864
    Location : the Holy See

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:55 am

    Davaro wrote:@ CK

    I think most of the (European) syllabi require 1 year TIG for seniors going from ikyu to shodan.

    Perhaps I just incorrect assumed that was the case here hence my comment of a year from now...

    Quite correct that he will have to comply with whatever rules his federation places on grading. I also don't know about competition points etc so clearly he will have to get all he requires. Where I am, one can accrue points from not only competition but also refereeing, table official duties, and executive duties (such as on a regional committee or serving on the national federation fe)

    Notwithstanding the above, my point being he should aim to get it as soon as possible. Not leave it for a few years if he does not have to.

    Obviously conditions have been must relaxed since the days that I or others like Hanon-sensei obtained their shodan. In those days obtaining shodan at 16 years of age was virtually unseen as it implied that you had successfully gone through a line-up of seniors who minimally had to hold the same rank as you.

    Today, in Europe many federations have removed minimal time-in-grade from 1st kyû to shodan completely, but ONLY on the condition that one wins the complete line-up (5 or 6 points in a row) or 10 points spread over several contest days. Tsukinami-shiai conditions also have been eased a lot since the days of yonder, today often following IJF weight classes whereas at the time shiai was typically without weight classes just like it still is in Japan for the tsukinami-, kohaku-, and kôdansha-shiai.

    In case of no shiai-points at all though, minimal time-in-grade is generally still applied usually 2 or 3 years. Since I do not know any background information on JudoStu I do not know what age category he is in or whether he is competitively active or not. I various countries, some reduction of time-in-grade is allowed for the duties you provide, but they do not substitute for shiai points, which is rightly so, since shiai is conceived as a completely individual task whereas executive jobs are largely the consequence of politics and networking and have zero bearing on a person's technical judo knowledge.

    Minimal age for shodan in most European federations is now down to 15 years of age, something virtually impossible 40 years ago.
    seatea
    seatea


    Posts : 211
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Location : England.

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by seatea Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:04 am

    I believe that Stu is BJA, so if he takes the competitive route there is a minium time of six months in grade. The technical route is a five year minium time at ikkyu, and you have to have proof that you have been training during that time.

    http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/sites/default/files/BJA%20Gradingrequirements%20v4%20.pdf
    avatar
    Raj Venugopal


    Posts : 120
    Join date : 2013-01-21

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Raj Venugopal Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:28 am

    Congratulations! I started judo at 37, received brown belt last April, am 41 (I seem to recall you are close to that). I compete in seniors regionally and masters nationally. In our club it appears shodan is just another step in development. It's the same guys fighting the same guys. The quality gradually increases and it's a nicer, thicker belt, but the only thing that differentiates a person's last class as a brown belt and their first class as a black belt is the applause at the beginning of class. In our club it's not the belt that makes a difference, but the fighting spirit. I view shodan as finally learning the letters in the alphabet, and being given the nod to start stringing together words and phrases. I wish I started younger so I would be writing philosophy by the time I'm ready to check out.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater


    Posts : 205
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 68
    Location : Sydney Australia

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Steve Leadbeater Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:00 am

    He has of course the option of a BATSUGUN at an OPEN tournament, providing
    of course, Batsugun is a DECLARED OPTION prior to the start of Shiai.
    JudoStu
    JudoStu


    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 51
    Location : UK

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by JudoStu Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 am

    Steve Leadbeater wrote:He has of course the option of a BATSUGUN at an OPEN tournament, providing
    of course, Batsugun is a DECLARED OPTION prior to the start of Shiai.

    I can confirm that I am with the BJA and as such I have a mimimum 6 months in grade before I can obtain my shodan.
    That said, with family commitments etc I very much doubt whether I will be able to partake in more than two competitions this year so i'll have to be either very good (which i'm not) or lucky to get enough points in just two comps.

    BTW, excuse my ignorance but whats Batsugun?
    avatar
    DougNZ


    Posts : 405
    Join date : 2013-01-28

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by DougNZ Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:11 am

    JudoStu wrote:
    BTW, excuse my ignorance but whats Batsugun?

    It's that thing that Batman fires into the ceiling before whizzing himself and near-fainting damsel vertically up out of harm's way.

    Or it could be fighting a line-up of judoka one after the other. I forget which ...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano


    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 864
    Location : the Holy See

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:56 am

    DougNZ wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    BTW, excuse my ignorance but whats Batsugun?

    It's that thing that Batman fires into the ceiling before whizzing himself and near-fainting damsel vertically up out of harm's way.

    Or it could be fighting a line-up of judoka one after the other.  I forget which ...


    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  New_bat_gun
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt


    Posts : 794
    Join date : 2012-12-28
    Location : Bonners Ferry, Idaho, USA

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Ben Reinhardt Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:31 pm

    Cichorei Kano wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    BTW, excuse my ignorance but whats Batsugun?

    It's that thing that Batman fires into the ceiling before whizzing himself and near-fainting damsel vertically up out of harm's way.

    Or it could be fighting a line-up of judoka one after the other.  I forget which ...


    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  New_bat_gun

    From CK's personal collection, no less !

    avatar
    DougNZ


    Posts : 405
    Join date : 2013-01-28

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by DougNZ Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:58 pm

    I remember seeing an episode of 'Myth Busters' featuring the Batsugun. They failed to even have it shoot into a wall with sufficient purchase to take any weight.

    One has so much more success with webs, it seems ...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano


    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 864
    Location : the Holy See

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:21 pm

    Ben Reinhardt wrote:

    From CK's personal collection, no less !



    How else did you guys want me to rework Kôdôkan goshinjutsu in a way appropriate to defend oneself to modern weapons ?
    avatar
    DougNZ


    Posts : 405
    Join date : 2013-01-28

    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by DougNZ Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:30 pm

    Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:

    From CK's personal collection, no less !



    How else did you guys want me to rework Kôdôkan goshinjutsu in a way appropriate to defend oneself to modern weapons ?

    "There is no need to import into jûdô goshinjutsu which is not jûdô goshinjutsu. I can assure you that I have a decent breadth of jûdô technical material and I have never found any need to find out such ridiculous goshinjutsu. I also assure you that none of my students, nor most people in jûdô use that goshinjutsu, and I have never in Japan heard it being used either. "

    Sponsored content


    I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu  Empty Re: I got my Brown Belt 1st kyu

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:34 pm