E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Kayla Harrison to play Rusty Kanokogi in film

JFTW

Kayla Harrison to play Rusty Kanokogi in film Empty Kayla Harrison to play Rusty Kanokogi in film

Post by JFTW Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:33 am

As per http://bostonherald.com/inside_track/the_inside_track/2014/02/we_hear_kayla_harrison_michael_hoomanawanui :

That Wakefield judo gold medalist Kayla Harrison, 23, will play judo great Rusty Kanokogi in a new indie flick “Don’t Call Me Sir!” The film, produced by Bo Svenson of “Inglourious Basterds” and “Kill Bill” fame, tells the story of single-mom Rusty who, in 1959, disguised herself as a man to compete in — and win — the New York State YMCA Judo Championships. She was later successful in getting women’s judo added as an Olympic sport. “I am thrilled and extremely honored to be playing Rusty,” Kayla said. “She was instrumental in helping make my personal dreams, as well as the dreams of countless young women around the world, come true.”
    GregW

Kayla Harrison to play Rusty Kanokogi in film Empty Re: Kayla Harrison to play Rusty Kanokogi in film

Post by GregW Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:34 am

Cool!  Judo movies.  I don't know if anyone posted this one already, but here's another one that could give judo a higher profile in film.  

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/07/one-of-your-favorite-brad-thor-books-is-going-to-be-a-movie-why-the-author-is-so-stoked-about-whos-starring-in-it/
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Kayla Harrison to play Rusty Kanokogi in film Empty Re: Kayla Harrison to play Rusty Kanokogi in film

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:17 am

How tall is Kayla ? Rusty was pretty darned tall, even in her later years. I think it's a good fit, though. RIP Rusty...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:07 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:How tall is Kayla ? Rusty was pretty darned tall, even in her later years. I think it's a good fit, though. RIP Rusty...

I've met and been on the tatami with Kayla only once and at that time she was shorter than Rusty, but then again, when I met her she was still fighting -57 kg ...

I don't think though that she has grown that much since, and to me she seemed like 5'7"-ish.

Then again, movies "have their ways". A notorious story is that of Brook Shields in the cheesy movie The Blue Lagoon. Shields is notoriously tall for a woman whose not a professional basketball or volleyball player (6'0" or 1.83m). Her protagonist, Christopher Atkins now 5'10 at the time was much shorter than her. Apparently, Shields at her young age was already between 5'10-5'11" while Atkins was only 5'6", so the film crew had to dig trenches for her to walk in most of the time so that she looked shorter than her guy. I don't know what the setting of this judo movie will be and I hope it will be historically more or less correct, but if not and they decide to use ugly yellow & blue tatami I wouldn't mind they dig large trenches in them and then afterwards fill them up with as many as those ugly disco floor tatami as they can find before they put them to fire and cover them up forever.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:27 pm

So, how long have you been collecting Brooke Shields movies, pray tell ?

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:So, how long have you been collecting Brooke Shields movies, pray tell ?

You're still jealous of my Brooks Shields tattoo I showed you last time, aren't you ? 

Also, can you, please, send back my 1979 copy of Diane Lane's "A little Romance" too ?!
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:So, how long have you been collecting Brooke Shields movies, pray tell ?

Almost as long as he,s been using my Credit cards for purchases towards his wine cellar !!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Steve Leadbeater wrote:
    Almost as long as he,s been using my Credit cards for purchases towards his wine cellar !!

If only I would have known you sooner, my life could have been so much easier.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:

You're still jealous of my Brooks Shields tattoo I showed you last time, aren't you ? 

Also, can you, please, send back my 1979 copy of Diane Lane's "A little Romance" too ?!

Is that any way to treat the man who introduced you to Jenna?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:33 am

More news:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/don-call-sir-film-brooklyn-article-1.1714466
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:34 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:

Is that any way to treat the man who introduced you to Jenna?

Seems her replacement parts aren't covered by warranty.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:15 am