E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
Hanon
Yaburi
6 posters

POWER OF THE BRAIN

Yaburi
    Yaburi

POWER OF THE BRAIN Empty POWER OF THE BRAIN

Post by Yaburi Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:23 am

Never underestimate the power of the human mind and its importance.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed this forwrad it .
    Hanon

POWER OF THE BRAIN Empty Re: POWER OF THE BRAIN

Post by Hanon Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 am

Yaburi wrote:
    Never underestimate the power of the human mind and its importance.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed this forwrad it .

This is a subject very close to my heart. I am dyslexic. Now there are several types of this disorder and I just read that post without a blink. THE problem is I can and do write like that even with my own name.

At uni' either my mother, later my wife, would HAVE to type my written work to check my spellings or I would have failed at the first hurdle.

After qualifying any important work such as a court report where I would have to appear before a judge to pass a professional opinion on a person would have to be typed by one of my family. I dare not write here without the use of a spell check or many words would appear like that above.

It is a rather horrible syndrome to suffer from and did zero for my self esteem when young. It took until I was 20 to be diagnosed!

Mike
    Yaburi
    Yaburi

Post by Yaburi Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:26 am

The reason for my post was to get people thinking about the power of the mind. You are able to read this because you have spent years conditioning your mind to read automatically and anticipate the construction, context, meaning, or next word.

The same is true in judo training. With a foundation of well structured and disciplined repetition we are able to attack and counter automatically, triggered by external stimuli. This begins with uchi-komi and nage-komi; then progresses through light randori into hard randori. It is in uchikomi that we develop the technique; in nagekomi we develop the feel and power; and in randori that we learn the timing, feints, setups and combinations.

What some call the Zen of judo. With time and perseverance the Ippons seem to come out of nowhere; from the subconscious not the conscious thought processes. It is not magic; it is the product of discipline, dedication, repetition, application, and a constant cycle of self analysis and improvement.

Last edited by Yaburi on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:06 am

Yaburi wrote:The reason for my post was to get people thinking about the power of the mind. You are able to read this because you have spent years conditioning your mind to read automatically and anticipate the construction, context, meaning, or next word.

The same is true in judo training. With a foundation of well structured and disciplined repetition we are able to attack and counter automatically, triggered by external stimuli. This begins with uchi-komi and nage-komi; then progresses through light randori into hard randori. It is in uchikomi that we develop the technique; in nagekomi we develop the feel and power; and in randori that we learn the timing, feints, setups and combinations.

What some call the Zen of judo. With time and perseverance the Ippons seem to come out of nowhere; from the subconscious not the conscious thought processes. It is not magic; it is the product of discipline, dedication, repetition, application, and a constant cycle of self analysis and improvement.

Or maybe there are different kinds of thinking other than the typical "talking to yourself" kind of thinking? The kind of thinking that maybe works a lot faster than normal thinking, but is still thinking, as one's brain is doing it.

My experience of it is a special kind of seeing without really thinking verbal thoughts. I'm sure it has something to do with being in the "optimal state of arousal", balance of adrenaline in the system, etc, etc. In that state things seem to slow down (a well known effect). I've had it happen time and time again in shiai and randori over the years. Things move in slow motion/stop frame from my frame of reference, but on video the action was continuous and very fast. And of course more skilled/experienced judoka can alternate between the sort of verbal thinking and nonverbal thinking on the fly, especially in regards to tactical situations.

Ben
    lomew

Post by lomew Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:39 am

Hello Guys i think that the human brain has the same general structure as the minds of other mammals, but is bigger than any other in relation to bodily proportions. Huge animals such as whales and elephants have bigger minds in absolute terms, but when calculated using the quotient which compensates for bodily proportions, the mind is almost twice the dimension the mind of the bottlenose dolphin.Thanks a lot!!
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:51 am

yup yup.lol. Its how I can proof read my application 50x before sending it and then later see the mistake.lol. auto-correct isnt so correct.
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Rolling Eyes It looks like some of my posts. Thanks for putting up with me. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am