E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Kanō shihan's dying instructions

NBK
    NBK

Kanō shihan's dying instructions Empty Kanō shihan's dying instructions

Post by NBK Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:08 pm

柔道の本義と修業の目的

嘉納治五郎 遺訓  

柔道とは、心身の力を、最も有効に使用する道である。
    その修行は、攻撃防御の練習により、精神身体を鍛錬し、
    その道の真髄を、体得する事である。そして、是によって、
    己を完成し、世を補益するのが、柔道修行究極の目的である

Posted in the Kōdōkan and other dōjō in Japan, this is identified as Kanō shihan's last admonition (literally, 'dying instructions') defining judo. I can't find the exact origin, maybe someone has a reference.

A quick translation before a Sunday nap....

'The True Meaning and Objective of Jūdō

Kanō Jigorō's Dying Instructions

Jūdō is the path of using the mind and body in the most effective way. (The aim of) That discipline / study (shūgyō) is the mastery of the essence of the path, (which is) tempering the mind and body though practice of attack and defense. Thus, by this (mastery?), the ultimate objective of the study of jūdō is the perfection of one's self and the supplementation of the entire world.'
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Kanō shihan's dying instructions Empty Re: Kanō shihan's dying instructions

Post by Jonesy Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:57 am

This is more often known as "The Last Teachings of Jigoro Kano".  It features on my first paper Kodokan membership certificate and now features on the reverse of the plastic membership card.  See attached images.

Kanō shihan's dying instructions Original%20Kodokan%20Membership%20Certificate%20

Kanō shihan's dying instructions Kodokan%20Membership%20Card%20-%20reverse%20-%20Copy%20copy

Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Jonesy wrote:This is more often known as "The Last Teachings of Jigoro Kano".  It features on my first paper Kodokan membership certificate and now features on the reverse of the plastic membership card.  See attached images.

Kanō shihan's dying instructions Original%20Kodokan%20Membership%20Certificate%20-%20Copy%20copy%20(1)

Kanō shihan's dying instructions Kodokan%20Membership%20Card%20-%20reverse%20-%20Copy%20copy
    hmmm.... much better than the current cards, which are something like admin instructions for when you lose it, etc.....

A different age!

Actually I still don't know the origin - his last major judo writing is pretty long, I will scan it for this.

NBK

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:52 pm