E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Welsh Closed Judo 07.05.14

bigfrey86

Welsh Closed Judo 07.05.14 Empty Welsh Closed Judo 07.05.14

Post by bigfrey86 Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Did you or anyone from your clubs attend and how did you do?
    tafftaz

Welsh Closed Judo 07.05.14 Empty Re: Welsh Closed Judo 07.05.14

Post by tafftaz Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:33 pm

Gold in mens 81kgs.
    Bronze in u73kgs mens masters.
    1 other senior and junior also fought very well but did not medal.
    Only had 4 enter from club this year. My son was away and my daughter was at a function otherwise they would have both entered in mens u90kgs and womens u63kgs.

There was a case of biting on one of my students. The u73 kgs masters all had to be fought again as they all had the same scores and wins. My student is only a 1st kyu but threw a couple of dan grades for ippon. He also got bit by a third dan in a blatant attempt at cheating to avoid a loss. The 3rd dan even apologised to him afterward. I was not at the event as I had to take our Saturday classes, but I know the guy who did the biting and never thought he would resort to something so low.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:52 pm

tafftaz wrote:Gold in mens 81kgs.
    Bronze in u73kgs mens masters.
    1 other senior and junior also fought very well but did not medal.
    Only had 4 enter from club this year. My son was away and my daughter was at a function otherwise they would have both entered in mens u90kgs and womens u63kgs.

There was a case of biting on one of my students. The u73 kgs masters all had to be fought again as they all had the same scores and wins. My student is only a 1st kyu but threw a couple of dan grades for ippon. He also got bit by a third dan in a blatant attempt at cheating to avoid a loss. The 3rd dan even apologised to him afterward. I was not at the event as I had to take our Saturday classes, but I know the guy who did the biting and never thought he would resort to something so low.

See, I have never understood why someone would bite during a contest. It simply is not wise, because the opponent will have the ability to show the proof to the ref. who cannot but disqualify the other one. I've lost my very last contest in Europe due to a necklock, which I have never really digested well, but still I would not have bitten in defense even though the moron ref failed to see the necklock. One has to be logical. The other guy may get away with a necklock if the ref doesn't see, it and there is no way one can prove it unless the result is a broken neck or a videorecording, but biting, not very smart, almost always the evidence remains. In any case, I'd rather lose a contest, even if my opponent is of lower rank, than having to win by such blatant violation of the judo spirit, no matter how much of an ass my opponent might be. But mostly I am shocked that someone with the seniority of a 3rd dan would do something similar. We are not talking kids ... Dreadful. Does he still have a coach or instructor or is he himself the coach or instructor of a club ? If he does have a coach or instructor I hope that he gets a scolding he won't quickly forget.

Congrats with your students' result.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:38 am

CK the biter in question is a head coach of his own club. The bite marks were shown and a fuss was kicked up afterward but to no avail. I was not there in person otherwise there would have been a different outcome. I would have played bloody hell.
    It was my students first shiai and a lack of experience on his part led to the other guy getting away with it. The other coaches from my club were there and went onto the control table and head ref but same old story " we cannot do anything after the bout".
    All in all though a good experience for him.

I can see a club "visit" on the horizon.
    bigfrey86

Post by bigfrey86 Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:34 am

I watched the last three fights u73s masters as one of the guys is from our club. I think I remember your guy fighting Taff, he looked pretty sharp. I don't recall the biting incident though. Did it happen the first time around or the second time?
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:05 am

First time around and the bite mark was still visible at 8 o'clock on Saturday evening when he met me for a beer.
    All done and dusted now, but he will learn from it.
    bigfrey86

Post by bigfrey86 Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 am

That's terrible. Anyway I'm glad your club did well in the competition.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:21 am

I would have entered myself but recovering from groin surgery. Good experience for the club members though.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:12 am

tafftaz wrote:I would have entered myself but recovering from groin surgery. Good experience for the club members though.

Good grief ! Hope you will recover soon. Best wishes.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:37 am

Thanks CK. inguinal hernia. Into my 6th week after the op. Back in work and back in gym on bike and treadmill. No judo for another 2-3 weeks.
    Driving me insane, but over the worst now. Only down side is that I have gained 4 kgs while being sedentary. Going to be tough the first few weeks back in full training.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:21 pm