E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

What are "Judo values", "Judo etiquette" and "Judo principles"

finarashi
    finarashi

What are "Judo values", "Judo etiquette" and "Judo principles"  Empty What are "Judo values", "Judo etiquette" and "Judo principles"

Post by finarashi Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:44 pm

There is a book out (unfortunately in German) Das Wertesystem im Judo und seine Erziehungsaufgabe (Offizielle DJB-Schriftenreihe 4), by  Tsafack, Bruno (1980 - ) edited by Lippmann, Ralf (1961 - ), Aachen, Germany, Meyer & Meyer, 2015, 106p,  ISBN13 9783898999748.

It deals with the values of Judo; "The focus of this work, the indivisible unity of physical and mental development is in judo. The first part deals with the development of the sport judo, the traditional approaches and the basic ideas of Professor Kanô. These theoretical representations intended to show what educational value has the sport of Judo. Furthermore, the terms "Judo values", "Judo etiquette" and "Judo principles" are explained. Especially the judo values ​​undergo a detailed discussion, particularly with regard to their placement in children and adolescents. The second part of the thesis deals with the actual state of Judo in Germany. Using questionnaires to athletes, coaches and parents the truth of the hypothesis to be tested in relation to the lack of knowledge and poor implementation of traditional judo values ​​and etiquette. The paper concludes with the presentation of possible strategies to improve the current status with respect to the conscious implementation of the judo values ​​and etiquette."

Kudos to Meyer & Meyer for publishing such work. Unfortunately there are not that many which want to deal with these kind of books in e.g. English.
    BillC
    BillC

What are "Judo values", "Judo etiquette" and "Judo principles"  Empty Re: What are "Judo values", "Judo etiquette" and "Judo principles"

Post by BillC Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:40 am

Fin ... if "in English" is limited to the US ... without insulting anyone I'd say that one reason is that there is practically (if not in fact) no one qualified to write such a paper. If produced, it would include a large dose of judo myth I would wager. In addition, there would be no reason to write it as there would be no readership to speak of.

Even if one broadens things to include all English-speaking sources, or any other language ... I think there would be precious few readers and fewer writers.

I have not read the work you mention, so I cannot comment on its quality, but I am also glad the topic is being discussed ... the "spiritual contamination" topic seems to be for real and voices need to be heard ... voices without financial or political conflicts of interest need to be loud among those.

But how often are 4-eyed scholars heard in a room full of jocks?
    finarashi
    finarashi

What are "Judo values", "Judo etiquette" and "Judo principles"  Empty Re: What are "Judo values", "Judo etiquette" and "Judo principles"

Post by finarashi Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:03 am

So you have books for smart intelectual Judoka in german, in french, in russian and in italian but not in english! I still wonder why?
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:44 am

finarashi wrote:So you have books for smart intelectual Judoka in german, in french, in russian and in italian but not in english! I still wonder why?

Sure, there are very smart books about judo in English, or which have been translated into English. I did not think that was your question, I thought it was specifically about "the value system in judo and its educational role."

I think why one does not see any current publication of the academic kind in the US is that here judo is not an academic pursuit. We have no sports ministry, and the support of Olympic sports is informal ... if an Olympic event happens to overlap with a high school, college or professional sport then there may be people paid to coach ... but other than that these are all still "amateur" pursuits. There are no judo clubs started or funded because it exists as an Olympic sport and a sports ministry decides it needs to fill that spot.

Some of the very smart books about judo in American English detail the story is this informal transmission which was largely confined to the immigrant Japanese community and their descendants; later the US military. Both of these, for somewhat the same reasons, were more interested in doing judo than talking or writing about it.

Frankly speaking, a certain proportion of "academic" efforts out of Europe seem to suffer from maladies such as "see how smart I am" while lacking in any real scientific rigor or credential. Others might have been affected by "publish or perish" pressures. In other words, quantity is not necessarily quality, right?

But again I like the topic as I note the loss of manners in the "sport" of judo referenced in the title of your document. Somebody needs to ... and I think some somebodies are ... piss on rude judoka from a great height. One might be able to observe a correlation between an intentional display of rudeness ... kicking the belt to the corner when it comes untied is one I struggle with among our more successful players ... but I'd add the cocky inability to sit seiza or anza in the dojo, or wearing blue judogi at inappropriate times ... these are the externals that indicate that what is inside is not really well educated about judo regardless of athletic success.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:27 pm