E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Gonosen no kata - good sources for studying

noboru
    noboru

Gonosen no kata - good sources for studying Empty Gonosen no kata - good sources for studying

Post by noboru Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:01 am

Please, can you recommend me any good sources (I can read english) of Gonosen no kata for studying?

Thank you for your all answers or recommendation.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Gonosen no kata - good sources for studying Empty Re: Gonosen no kata - good sources for studying

Post by Jihef Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 am

noboru wrote:Please, can you recommend me any good sources (I can read english) of Gonosen no kata for studying?

The Complete Seven Katas of Judo by Mikinosuke Kawaishi

This would be a good start.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Seven-Katas-Judo/dp/0879512490
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Gonosen no kata - good sources for studying Empty Re: Gonosen no kata - good sources for studying

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:29 am

noboru wrote:Please, can you recommend me any good sources (I can read english) of Gonosen no kata for studying?

I have researched gonosen-no-kata with a friend as part of some scholarly work. The results of our research at present are unsatisfactory. Hence the part is still missing in my book manuscript and we also have not published about it. Most of what is written about gonosen-no-kata is based on hearsay and nonverifiable populist sources. Of course nothing prevents someone from merely approaching as a set of mechanistic movements in a certain order with nothing further to it. Given Kawaishi's fondness of this kata and his further still not fully defined relationship with this kata, I would echo Jihef's suggestion to go to his book, although one has to take in mind that Kawaishi did not write this book himself ! It was written by someone else based on what the person understood of Kawaisthin's notes, explanations, etc. So, one has to be very carefully deducing things such as "Well, Kawaishi said in his book that ...". It's somewhat similar than the 1986 and 1956 Kôdôkan Illustrated books supposedly by Kanô Jigorô. Obviously Kanô never wrote such a book and had been dead for half a century in 1950.

Furthermore there are several recordings on YouTube which Jonesy has carefully collected for us and which are listed in this kata subforum.

You would always also ask wdax who has demonstrated the kata before.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:35 am

There are no really good and reliable sources. This is as good as anything:

https://judo.forumotion.com/t196-gonosen-no-kata-aide-memoir-from-the-ff-judo-ffjda

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:42 pm