E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Itsutsu no kata - sources

noboru
    noboru

Itsutsu no kata - sources Empty Itsutsu no kata - sources

Post by noboru Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:30 am

I found a note about document The origin, essence, biomechanical foundations, and teaching and performance challenges of Itsutsu-no-kata [The Forms of Five]: Kōdōkan jūdō’s esoteric sixth kata, Carl De Crée.

Is possible download / read this document?

I found only the two pages informations in pdf from (2013) Proceedings of the 4th European Science of Judo Symposium. p.8-9.

Direct link:
    http://www.uej.fr/publications/uejbudapest/index.htm#/11

There is this document written in References.

Thank you.

Last edited by noboru on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
    makoto
    makoto

Itsutsu no kata - sources Empty Re: Itsutsu no kata - sources

Post by makoto Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:41 am

A download of the fulltext of this thesis would be really great!
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:30 pm

I understand from a well-informed source that the thesis is not available for download from the web, nor by personal request. This is due to ongoing negotiations with publishers which could result in it being published as a book or monograph, and is quite common practice with academic theses where this is a possibility.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:49 pm

One interesting note from Mr. Meik Skoss from Facebook Koryu Bujutsu group. I am not able add the direct link. This comment was posted under video of Kurihara sensei, where he demonstrated Itsutsu-no-kata. One reader post infor that it is similar some kata from Tenjin Shinyo-ryu.

Meik Skoss wrote:Itsutsu no Kata is Kodokan judo's version of Tenjin Shinyo-ryu's Kuden set. That is a set of five techniques that are not a part of the 124 waza that comprize the curriculum of the school. Per what Kubota Toshihiro and Muto Masao told me during my research for the article I wrote a bout Tenjin Shinyo-ryu, there are differences in how they are performed. For one thing, Shinyo-ryu's Kuden waza have names illustrative of the jujutsu principles involved. Kodokan's Itsutsu no Kata techniques are merely numbered and, according to what I have read and heard, Kano believed Itsutsu no Kata was not yet "finished/completed". It would be interesting if somebody were to examine Kano's densho, now at the Kodokan, to see what level of license he held. If he had been taught the Kuden waza, we could presume he held a menkyo, or perhaps even kaiden. Why he would have thought Itsutsu no Kata is not complete, though, remains a big puzzle to me, given the degree of sophistication in the Shinyo-ryu version of the techniques.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:07 pm