E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
NBK
Ben Reinhardt
Cichorei Kano
7 posters

Jūdō ~-waza o ikasu tame no kumi-te ~

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Jūdō ~-waza o ikasu tame no kumi-te ~ Empty Jūdō ~-waza o ikasu tame no kumi-te ~

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:14 am

The name of the Tōkai University-jūdō sensei at the beginning of this videoclip is pronounced Hayashida Kazutaka. The title in Japanese indicates making the best use of your skills and applying this in sparring.

Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Jūdō ~-waza o ikasu tame no kumi-te ~ Empty Re: Jūdō ~-waza o ikasu tame no kumi-te ~

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:19 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:

The name of the Tōkai University-jūdō sensei at the beginning of this videoclip is pronounced Hayashi Kazutaka. The title in Japanese indicates making the best use of your skills and applying this in sparring.

Very nice, thank you for posting this!
    NBK
    NBK

Jūdō ~-waza o ikasu tame no kumi-te ~ Empty Re: Jūdō ~-waza o ikasu tame no kumi-te ~

Post by NBK Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:14 am

Billc should love this.  It's all about countering Western grip fighters, who disadvantage Japanese players using these techniques.  Note that the sleeve releases move to pull most of the sleeve out of uke's little and ring finger, then reverse against the weaker index and middle fingers.  

I don't know if folks understand that these are high schoolers in the Tokai University Sagamihara High School.  I lived not far from this facility when I lived in Sagamihara.   Beautiful dojo.  
    Tokai U. Sagami HS
    柔道部

目標:全国高校選手権、金鷲旗、高校総合体育大会(インターハイ)優勝
    部長:飯島 俊佑
    総監督:林田 和孝 this is Hayashi the instructor in the tape, their general manager
    監督:高橋 洋樹
    顧問:古川 翔・加藤 利彦
    部員数:
     1年:8名
     2年:12名
     3年:10名
    最近の主な実績
    ・平成25年度実績
     金鷲旗準優勝
     高校総合体育大会81Kg 尾方寿應 優勝
     全国高校選手権団体3位
     全国高校選手権個人 60Kg 山本 3位
                    81Kg尾方寿應 準優勝
    this cites their successes in recent national competitions.
    total of 30 players

those kids at 6:20 are big

Note the balance they all have - clean throws, exhibiting beautiful control.  

Think they know the entire gokyo??  No, they've honed a reasonable number of useful techniques.

NBK
    David Waterhouse

Post by David Waterhouse Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:32 am

The name of the instructor at Tōkai is Hayashida Kazutaka, not Hayashi Kazutaka. See http://www.tokai-judo.com/staff/.

David Waterhouse
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:11 pm

David Waterhouse wrote:The name of the instructor at Tōkai is Hayashida Kazutaka, not Hayashi Kazutaka. See http://www.tokai-judo.com/staff/.

David Waterhouse

Thank you, prof. Waterhouse, for pointing out my negligence. Indeed, the 'Hayashi' part referred only to the first kanji 林 of the surname and I forgot to add the pronunciation of the second kanji 田. I have accordingly updated my original post.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:01 pm

NBK wrote:Billc should love this.  It's all about countering Western grip fighters, who disadvantage Japanese players using these techniques.  Note that the sleeve releases move to pull most of the sleeve out of uke's little and ring finger, then reverse against the weaker index and middle fingers.  

Think they know the entire gokyo??  No, they've honed a reasonable number of useful techniques.

NBK

Yes, indeed, thank you for the heads up. Certainly I have bored you adequately over toshomen with my pet peeves and pissy preferences. Kumikata are an exciting part of judo, and to me the bridge between judo as a sport and judo as a martial art. Intentional ignorance is just asking for an ass kicking in either domain.

That said ... certain rule changes seem to have overtaken some of this ... 平成25年 is the year of production?

Give up on the gokyo gripe, Gatling. I doubt from what I read on this forum that those so committed are going to back away from their precious tests any time soon.

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:55 am

NBK wrote:Billc should love this.  It's all about countering Western grip fighters, who disadvantage Japanese players using these techniques.  Note that the sleeve releases move to pull most of the sleeve out of uke's little and ring finger, then reverse against the weaker index and middle fingers.  

I don't know if folks understand that these are high schoolers in the Tokai University Sagamihara High School.  I lived not far from this facility when I lived in Sagamihara.   Beautiful dojo.  
    Tokai U. Sagami HS
    柔道部

目標:全国高校選手権、金鷲旗、高校総合体育大会(インターハイ)優勝
    部長:飯島 俊佑
    総監督:林田 和孝 this is Hayashi the instructor in the tape, their general manager
    監督:高橋 洋樹
    顧問:古川 翔・加藤 利彦
    部員数:
     1年:8名
     2年:12名
     3年:10名
    最近の主な実績
    ・平成25年度実績
     金鷲旗準優勝
     高校総合体育大会81Kg 尾方寿應 優勝
     全国高校選手権団体3位
     全国高校選手権個人 60Kg 山本 3位
                    81Kg尾方寿應 準優勝
    this cites their successes in recent national competitions.
    total of 30 players

those kids at 6:20 are big

Note the balance they all have - clean throws, exhibiting beautiful control.  

NBK

No but they would easily learn the entire gokyo if they focused on that because of their level of kihon.

Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:20 pm

NBK wrote:Note the balance they all have - clean throws, exhibiting beautiful control.  

BillC wrote:Give up on the gokyo gripe, Gatling.  I doubt from what I read on this forum that those so committed are going to back away from their precious tests any time soon.
    Hello dear sirs, and your point is ?

Thank you in advance.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:

NBK
    No but they would easily learn the entire gokyo if they focused on that because of their level of kihon.
    Exactly my point, thank you.
    Jihef wrote:
    NBK wrote:Note the balance they all have - clean throws, exhibiting beautiful control.  

BillC wrote:Give up on the gokyo gripe, Gatling.  I doubt from what I read on this forum that those so committed are going to back away from their precious tests any time soon.
    Hello dear sirs, and your point is ?

Thank you in advance.
    ACtually, it's 'points'.
    BillC is referring to our 'discussion' of the various US judo bodies to require those testing for shodan / 1dan to know the entire Gokyo in another thread.
    https://judo.forumotion.com/t2088-habukareta-waza
    The topic is the 'habukareta waza', those techniques of judo once in the Gokyo that were actually dropped.  

My point is I think that knowing those waza, shall we say, is not particularly useful, particularly for a shodan.  What's the point?  Under Kano shihan's direct control when he was kancho, the Kodokan dropped those from the Gokyo.  Why would a shodan need to know something so obscure was the question.

BillC can cite his own points.

NBK
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:06 am

NBK wrote:

That would be pointless.

BTW ... Satoh-sensei says "hello." We started work on the gokyo last night in our adult white belt class, should just about have it covered by Monday.  jocolor 
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:58 am

BillC wrote:
    NBK wrote:

That would be pointless.

BTW ... Satoh-sensei says "hello."  We started work on the gokyo last night in our adult white belt class, should just about have it covered by Monday.   jocolor 
    20 new techniques each in three, two hr classes, should be a snap, and you'll have all the mastery that you deserve   Basketball
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:37 am

NBK wrote:
    BillC wrote:
    NBK wrote:

That would be pointless.

BTW ... Satoh-sensei says "hello."  We started work on the gokyo last night in our adult white belt class, should just about have it covered by Monday.   jocolor 
    20 new techniques each in three, two hr classes, should be a snap, and you'll have all the mastery that you deserve   Basketball

The problem is you need another half a dozen new techniques next Wednesday
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:04 am

finarashi wrote:
    The problem is you need another half a dozen new techniques next Wednesday

Wimp. Tenjin Shin'yô-ryû jûjutsu requires 124 techniques to be mastered, which is peanuts compared with the sometimes 600-700 techniques in some Sôgô bujutsu-ryû (composite martial arts schools such as Katori shintô-ryû or Kitô-ryû). Of course, this did not keep Kanô Jigorô from becoming a "jûjutsu master" on the basis of nothing else but the 21 techniques of a single kata ...

You will understand I can't tell you how many techniques there are in our secret ninjer school, cause otherwise I would have to kill you.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:57 pm

NBK wrote:
    ... should be a snap ...

Goodness the lectures I precipitated while passing time in the car by explaining the concept of "tap or snap" in MMA ... and elsewhere.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:47 am

NBK wrote:ACtually, it's 'points'.  
    BillC is referring to our 'discussion' of the various US judo bodies to require those testing for shodan / 1dan to know the entire Gokyo in another thread.
    https://judo.forumotion.com/t2088-habukareta-waza
    The topic is the 'habukareta waza', those techniques of judo once in the Gokyo that were actually dropped.  

My point is I think that knowing those waza, shall we say, is not particularly useful, particularly for a shodan.  What's the point?  Under Kano shihan's direct control when he was kancho, the Kodokan dropped those from the Gokyo.  Why would a shodan need to know something so obscure was the question.

NBK
    Got it,
    Thanks.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 am

I managed to watch a bit more of the video. Some of the stuff shown I've been exposed to before, amazingly from a judo coach/sensei from Tokai University...over the period of about 2 years.

It's based on action reaction, to state the obvious. And also, without solid,very solid, basic judo (and I mean shisei, shintai, kumi kata, tai sabaki, not only being able to do a decent static O Goshi), it is very tough to implement under stress. The move and throwing part has to basically be so ingrained as tori doesn't really have to put much (cognitive) thought into it.

In fact, the whole concept(?) of action-reaction has to be internalized in earlier training to be able to apply the...concept of what is shown in the OP video. Otherwise, good luck...

That's my experience of it, in any case.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 3:44 pm