E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
TheWizardofOdds
gester
6 posters

World Championships Commentators

gester

World Championships Commentators Empty World Championships Commentators

Post by gester Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Who are the commentators on ippon.tv?
    TheWizardofOdds

World Championships Commentators Empty Re: World Championships Commentators

Post by TheWizardofOdds Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:25 am

I think the North American is David McFall? Sounds like that anyway. I don't know who the Englishmen is. Neil Adams would be good!
    overthehill

Post by overthehill Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:09 am

if david mcfall is who i think it is, he used to post on the judoforum quite a bit in the past.
    the brit is not neil adams but michael hanwell, another judoforum member.

hanwell is also an ijf referee and a good one at that!
    gester

Post by gester Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:25 pm

After listening to transitions between announcing teams I think the commentators are Annette Bohm, from Germany, David McFall from the USA and Sheldon Franco-Rooks from England.

Other than for Annette Bohm, I can't find much about the other two.

All have a deep knowledge of competition.
    Ryvai
    Ryvai

Post by Ryvai Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:31 pm

I like these commentators. They don't hold back, if they disagree with anything, they say so. And if Judoka display bad behaviour they are not hesitant to comment on it Smile
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:43 pm

It is Sheldon Franco-Rooks who is the British voiced commentator.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:10 pm

I really wish they'd have paid attention to the match we were watching in the early rounds. It was disturbing to hear an argument about Russian women's depth for three matches after a Russian female competitor bombed out during the first round. When they paid attention and actually commented on what was going on, they were good, but some of the other stuff was just annoying. Wound up just doing the mats that I wanted without comment.
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Watching Iliadis' final, the commentators mentioned about being surprised at his gold in the division. They said this a couple of times I think. I was wondering why? I know he is not young as such now at maybe 31 or so but still...he is ex Olympic champ and world champ winner etc. I know the weight has many good fighters also. They didn't elaborate on why they thought this? Has he been injured or something?
    Ryvai
    Ryvai

Post by Ryvai Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:04 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:Watching Iliadis' final, the commentators mentioned about being surprised at his gold in the division. They said this a couple of times I think. I was wondering why? I know he is not young as such now at maybe 31 or so but still...he is ex Olympic champ and world champ winner etc. I know the weight has many good fighters also. They didn't elaborate on why they thought this? Has he been injured or something?

Illias Illiadis was born november 10th 1986, that makes him 27 years old. He is in his prime still Smile
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:05 am

Right...so he won his gold in 2004! I thought he was 17 at 2000 games.

So, even more so then. He's only 27.Why did they believe he would just get a podium place then?
    Ryvai
    Ryvai

Post by Ryvai Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:36 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:Right...so he won his gold in 2004! I thought he was 17 at 2000 games.

So, even more so then. He's only 27.Why did they believe he would just get a podium place then?

Perhaps they know something we don't. Injuries, performance at other events, who knows. I for one had him as favorite to win Smile
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Yeah, I think Lipartelliani is number one so maybe they thought he'd get the gold? At 27, he's good for a few years yet. His control of the other man is superb. I don't know what he's doing but I've seen him do the same technique in instruction to some Italian students on youtube that won the final. He reaches over the back from the shoulders for harai goshi maybe?
    Ryvai
    Ryvai

Post by Ryvai Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:44 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:Yeah, I think Lipartelliani is number one so maybe they thought he'd get the gold? At 27, he's good for a few years yet. His control of the other man is superb. I don't know what he's doing but I've seen him do the same technique in instruction to some Italian students on youtube that won the final. He reaches over the back from the shoulders for harai goshi maybe?

What he does there seems pretty chaotic. It is difficult for me to tell what that really is, but it is a score! Hehe. Usually the technique is tsurikomi-goshi or O-tsuri-goshi when you grab over the back like that (depending if you grab the back or the belt) and throw around the hip (his leg is not that engaged in the last part of the throw), he is probably going for O-soto-otoshi, but because of Toth defending it he has to adjust the direction, transitioning into something else, my guess is tsurikomi-goshi Smile

His fight; Illiadis vs. Toth

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:18 pm