E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Hitting A Wall

LDS Judoka

Hitting A Wall Empty Hitting A Wall

Post by LDS Judoka Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:14 pm

I've had to re register because each new password I was sent didn't work. However this has overcome the problem.

I've been doing judo now for about 6 years and am currently nikyu. Within 6 months I intend to be ready for the Ikkyu grading - I have all my points so its a matter of refining the Nage No Kata and the techniques for demonstration.

My problem is that I seem to have hit a wall and I'm struggling with my motivation to train. Our club has 2 very fine but aged coaches and sometimes things are a little slow moving. I tried training with another club the other week with a younger ex Olympian coach and it was fantastic, however I am still struggling with motivation. I sometimes feel that I'm not progressing and I'm not getting any younger (just turned 57).

I would appreciate any advice if any others have had similar periods during their progression and how you overcame it.

Thanks heaps.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Hitting A Wall Empty Re: Hitting A Wall

Post by Stacey Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:36 pm

So, are you asking if you should switch clubs?

Meh, talk with your instructors about training at both places. Talk about the possibility of going to a clinic or taking a trip to another school - anything that will take you out of your current malaise by shaking you up a bit, making you see things a bit different. And remember to bring what you learned back to your dojo.
    r12477

Post by r12477 Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:58 pm

Are you able to split your training between both clubs?  

You might want to spend some time at this other club for the energy and excitement that training with a different group brings, while viewing your training at your existing club as that consolidating your technical ability.  Both elements of Judo are important and could have a place in your training.
    LDS Judoka

Post by LDS Judoka Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Yes I am able to split training between both clubs and that's pretty much what I plan to do, but I will talk it over with my sensei.
    Thank you for your replies and good advice.
    Gus

Post by Gus Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:20 am

My first Judo teacher , Akinori Hosaka, used to say that before we make a breakthrough we often have long periods,plateaus, where it appears we're getting nowhere. Maybe its the same for you ......
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:35 am

Everyone's judo has peaks, troughs and plateaux. Enjoy and make the most of the peaks - they will not last forever, train through the troughs - they are not permanent either, and accept the plateaux because everyone eventually finds their level.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:01 am