E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

How would you classify this technique that ronda Ronda Rousey uses

Ryvai
    Ryvai

How would you classify this technique that ronda Ronda Rousey uses Empty How would you classify this technique that ronda Ronda Rousey uses

Post by Ryvai Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:45 pm

@1:36 she starts off as one would in a form of utsuri-goshi, hip against hip. But then she switches direction and throws backwards using her leg to assist the lift. Is this a form of ushiro-goshi or perhaps ura-nage? I'd really appreciate some input, I'm struggling with this one :p

I've seen this technique used a lot in high-level competition, Zantaraia, Illiadis and the Georgians seem to love this one.

Ricebale
    Ricebale

How would you classify this technique that ronda Ronda Rousey uses Empty Re: How would you classify this technique that ronda Ronda Rousey uses

Post by Ricebale Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:24 am

In Sambo the throw motion is a "hip spring", the Chiboda name I forget but it'd be something about lifting a goat or such.

In Judo the Hane Goshi is the classic hip spring, this is called an inside/front hip spring for Sambo. Rondas one would be an outside/rear hip spring, pretty common throw off the lift in Sambo and Judo. You normally need liberal gripping rules to get it though.

I'm not very good at divining Judo names though, I don't think ura nage as it is not a suplex motion but a backwards fall off the spring.

I'd really like a more experienced Judoka to clarify here too.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricebale on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : terminology)
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

How would you classify this technique that ronda Ronda Rousey uses Empty Re: How would you classify this technique that ronda Ronda Rousey uses

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:18 am

In the words of a well known but mysterious former poster here, not everything done in Judo has a Judo name.

finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 am

To start off; Judo does not name throws but classifies a group of techniques based on the throwing principle. i.e.
    - you change your entry to uchi mata -> still uchi mata
    - you grip differently, with one hand or even without grip -> still uchi mata

What few seem to acknowledge is that you can plot a series of movements between one throw and another throw. i.e. do animations starting from standard uchi mata where the throw changes until you have standard harai-goshi. Somewhere in the middle it is very difficult to state if the throw belongs to goup of thows named uchi-mata or group of throws named harai-goshi. Note that both throws can be done without the reaping leg touching uke.

What is the throwing principle in variation 1; tori lifts uke up, swings him to his hips and throws forward. = utsuri goshi
    What is the throwing principle in variation 2; tori lifts uke up, throws backward. = sukui nage

Why not ura nage? To me variation 2 is more of a scoop up and drop type of throw than using uke's momentum to propel him over you type of throw.

I have found it illustrative to think of two pieces of straw and try to find how one straw is moving in space when other straw throws him.

So don't trust me figure it out yourself.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am