E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
mcmarcella
Cichorei Kano
Jerry Hays
7 posters

Passing of Onchi Sensei

Jerry Hays

Passing of Onchi Sensei Empty Passing of Onchi Sensei

Post by Jerry Hays Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am

I regret to inform the judo community that Onchi Sensei, of Obukan Judo in Portland, Oregon passed away this morning. When I received further information, I will post again.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Passing of Onchi Sensei Empty Re: Passing of Onchi Sensei

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:20 am

Jerry Hays wrote:I regret to inform the judo community that Onchi Sensei, of Obukan Judo in Portland, Oregon passed away this morning. When I received further information, I will post again.

My condolences to his wife Fumi and his family, particularly his grandson who for many years was a valued contributor to the JudoForum, as well to Forum member Taigyo.

Sadaki 'Jim' Onchi was born in March 1918, and for many decades was the thriving force behind his club Obukan Judo where he mentored numerous judoka. He must have taught thousands of them. His club was one of the oldest in the US, going back to 1926, and was visited twice by Kanô-shihan himself.who gave the name to the club in 1938. Joe Svinth in his very fine book "Getting a grip" discusses in detail the history of the club and judo in the larger region.

Jim became sensei of the club in 1955 and would not miss a practice for decades, though an serious injury soon after left a mark.

Jim received many awards throughout his long career, including the 5th Class Order of the Rising Sun, Gold & Silver Rays from the Emperor of Japan back in 2002, the Jeremy Glick Lifetime Achievement Award from the USJF in 2005 and several others. In December 2010 he received the Congressional Medal for Veterans. There is a beautiful picture of this here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/sen_ron_wyden_honors_japanese.html

In 2003 the Kôdôkan promoted Jim to 8th dan, and in April 2009 the USJF promoted Jim to USJF 9th dan.

Onchi-sensei, thank you for the many lives you have touched, and for devoting your life to judo. The commitment to your club set an example to those attempting to fill your footsteps. You have formed numerous enthusiastic young jûdôka. Rest in peace.

Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    Jerry Hays

Post by Jerry Hays Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 pm

From Rod Conduragis

Onchi Sensei's family
    have asked me to post as all are welcome to come. There will be a viewing @
    Rose City Funeral home tomorrow, Jan. 25th from noon to 5pm, Sat. From 9 - 4pm,
    Sun. 1pm - 4pm & Mon. - Thurs 9:30am - 5pm.
    http://www.rosecityfuneralhome.com/
    5625 NE Fremont St Portland, OR 97213
    (503) 281-3821

... There will
    be a honor guard service on February 1, 2013 @ 12 noon @ Willamette Natl
    Cemetery & a burial across @ Lincoln Memorial @ 12:30pm.
    Willamette National Cemetery
    11800 SE Mt. Scott Boulevard
    Portland, OR 97086-6937
    Phone: (503) 273-5250
    FAX: (503) 273-5251
    http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/willamette.asp

Lincoln Memorial Park Cemetary
    11801 SE Mt Scott Blvd Portland, OR 97086
    (503) 771-1117
    http://www.dignitymemorial.com/lincoln-memorial-park-cemetery/en-us/index.pageSee More

Rose City Cemetery & Funeral
    Home, Portland, Oregon | Home

www.rosecityfuneralhome.com

Rose City Cemetery & Funeral
    Home was founded in 1906. We have been serving Portland and the surrounding
    communties with professional care and respect to each and every family we serve
    for over 100 years.
    mcmarcella
    mcmarcella

Post by mcmarcella Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:54 am

So sorry to hear. My condolences to family and those at the dojo as well. -mike (pacific judo academy, spokane)
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:46 am

I would like to pass my Deepest condolences to the family and judo comunity with the passing of Sensei Jim Onchi. Jim dedicated his life to judo and was part of the greatest generation that put their life on hold to protect their nation in WWII as part of the 442 in europe. It was my honor to know Mr Onchi for over 40 years and spend 20 of thoes years tarveling with Jim and hearing many stories of his family and dojo he was a very proud gentelman. Jim will be missed and his legacey will live on in the rich tradition of Northwest judo and his family. Sensei Jim Onchi, Thank you very much.
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

Post by OldeEnglishD Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:25 am

My condolences to the family and the Judo community in his area.
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:32 pm

I leave early tomorow for Mr Onchi's services they will be full military honors. I am actualy looking forward to his funeral it will be great to honor Jim one last time. Thanks for all you have done for your country as part of the "Greatest Generation" Sensei rest in peace. I was proud to know you.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:10 am

My condolences to the friends, family, students, and loved ones of Onchi-sensei.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Passing of Onchi Sensei Empty Newspaper Obituary

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:08 am

http://obits.oregonlive.com/obituaries/oregon/obituary.aspx?n=jimmie-sadaki-onchi&pid=162846799
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2013/02/canzano_a_sensei_is_laid_to_re.html
    Mongo
    Mongo

Post by Mongo Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm sad to hear this, particularly since I think he's related to an old judo friend. I emailed Tad, an old friend from the original Judo Forum, to find out if there's a relation. My best wishes to all.
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 am

Mongo wrote:I'm sad to hear this, particularly since I think he's related to an old judo friend. I emailed Tad, an old friend from the original Judo Forum, to find out if there's a relation. My best wishes to all.

I believe Tad was his grandson sensei lived a long life he was 95 years old. [list][*]
    Mongo
    Mongo

Post by Mongo Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:15 pm

judoratt wrote:
    Mongo wrote:I'm sad to hear this, particularly since I think he's related to an old judo friend. I emailed Tad, an old friend from the original Judo Forum, to find out if there's a relation. My best wishes to all.

I believe Tad was his grandson sensei lived a long life he was 95 years old. [list][*]

Yeah, Tad wrote me back and said it's true. After he responded, a bunch of family photos have started to show up in my Facebook stream. It's both nice and sad to see it all. I wish him and his family the best.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 pm