E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Grading system in "Western World"

mfpx

Grading system in "Western World" Empty Grading system in "Western World"

Post by mfpx Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Hey,
    I wasn't entirely sure where to post this, so I'll post it here.

I wanted to know what the grading system in "Western World" (outside of Japan) is. I currently live in Japan (I'm Swedish), and I'm part of a club that uses Kano's original grading system (though we usually follow national grading for competitions with external judoka).
    I've been practicing for 4 years now, I've achieved first kyū (一級), how would that translate to European or American grading?

Also, would my grade be recognized if I went to UK on a holiday, and wanted to practice there?
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Grading system in "Western World" Empty Re: Grading system in "Western World"

Post by Jonesy Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Four years for 1 kyu is fine. Kyu gradings in Japan are quite informal - it is at shodan where the system really kicks in. I assume that your dojo is a member of the prefectural and national Judo federations and issues "Kodokan certificates" for dan grades - though you do not necessarily go to the Kodokan to take them.

By "recognised", do you mean could you wear a brown belt in the UK? (Do you wear one on Japan, as some places do only white belt and black belt?). The answer is yes, generally no one will care what colour belt you wear. If you want to take a grading in the U.K. then you would need to get an appropriate licence (BJA, BJC, or other), transfer your grade and take it from there.
    mfpx

Post by mfpx Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:07 am

Jonesy wrote:Four years for 1 kyu is fine. Kyu gradings in Japan are quite informal - it is at shodan where the system really kicks in.  I assume that your dojo is a member of the prefectural and national Judo federations and issues "Kodokan certificates" for dan grades - though you do not necessarily go to the Kodokan to take them.

By "recognised", do you mean could you wear a brown belt in the UK? (Do you wear one on Japan, as some places do only white belt and black belt?). The answer is yes, generally no one will care what colour belt you wear.  If you want to take a grading in the U.K. then you would need to get an appropriate licence (BJA, BJC, or other), transfer your grade and take it from there.

I don't want to be graded in UK, as I have no intent on moving there. And yes, we have three belts (white, brown and black), I wear a brown one, will I need to prove my grade?
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:49 am

mfpx wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:Four years for 1 kyu is fine. Kyu gradings in Japan are quite informal - it is at shodan where the system really kicks in.  I assume that your dojo is a member of the prefectural and national Judo federations and issues "Kodokan certificates" for dan grades - though you do not necessarily go to the Kodokan to take them.

By "recognised", do you mean could you wear a brown belt in the UK? (Do you wear one on Japan, as some places do only white belt and black belt?). The answer is yes, generally no one will care what colour belt you wear.  If you want to take a grading in the U.K. then you would need to get an appropriate licence (BJA, BJC, or other), transfer your grade and take it from there.

I don't want to be graded in UK, as I have no intent on moving there. And yes, we have three belts (white, brown and black), I wear a brown one, will I need to prove my grade?

No one will ask you to prove your grade.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:26 pm