E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Too old? Recommendations?

Bevoir

Too old?  Recommendations? Empty Too old? Recommendations?

Post by Bevoir Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to start a martial art class in around South West Birmingham (Halesowen), I hope you wouldn't mind helping me make a decision. At the moment I'm considering Judo but I am procrastinating somewhat.

I'm in my mid thirties and so I'm no spring chicken. I'm attracted to Judo because of it's simplicity, effectiveness, while retaining somewhat of a traditional martial art form. However, I do have concerns, a lot of Judo clubs seem to be geared towards teaching of children and young adults. I've also read that Judo is very hard on the body and I would like to start a martial art I can continue to train into my older years, if possible.

Is Judo a decent martial art for someone to start at my age and can you recommend any clubs around my area?
    Bevoir

Too old?  Recommendations? Empty Re: Too old? Recommendations?

Post by Bevoir Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Sorry, I should have been clear, I'm in the UK! Thanks
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Never too late to start. Judo is for life, though it is true that a lot of clubs focus mainly on juniors/young adults and competitive players. However, not all do and you should explore a number of clubs in your area to find one that suits you. Have a look at not only the BJA (the most sport orientated, least traditional association) but also the BJC (more traditional in outlook). There are also small organisations like Judo For All. You can progress up the grades all the way up to black belt through a technical route which examines knowledge without contest. Good luck, and I am sure you can find what you are looking for.
    Bevoir

Post by Bevoir Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:15 am

Thanks Jonesy for the advice, I'll have a look around. If anyone can recommend some clubs in my area please let me know. I wouldn't mind trying some competition but it wouldn't be my number one concern. Thanks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 pm