E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Israeli judo star Tal Flicker wins gold in UAE; officials refuse to play anthem

noboru
    noboru

Israeli judo star Tal Flicker wins gold in UAE; officials refuse to play anthem Empty Israeli judo star Tal Flicker wins gold in UAE; officials refuse to play anthem

Post by noboru Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:59 am

Israeli judo star Tal Flicker wins gold in UAE; officials refuse to play anthem
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/27/sport/judo-abu-dhabi-grand-slam-tal-flicker-israel-national-anthem-flag/index.html

(CNN)Winning a gold medal is usually a cause for unmitigated celebration.

But not for Israel judo star Tal Flicker as he stood atop the podium at this week's Abu Dhabi Grand Slam, having triumphed in the men's half-lightweight division.

Instead of Hatikvah, Israel's traditional national anthem, tournament organizers played the official music of the International Judo Federation (IJF).
    Instead of the flag of Israel, the IJF's logo was raised.
    "It was weird," Flicker told CNN Sport from the IPIC Arena. "Israel is my country and I'm proud to be from Israel.
    "I sang Hatikvah because I don't know anything else. This is my anthem."

He and his 11 compatriots competing at the elite international event were already forced to wear judogis (judo uniforms) without the typical identifying symbols of their nationality.

--------------------------------------------
    An Israeli Won Gold in Judo in Abu Dhabi. They Refused to Play His National Anthem—So He Sang It Himself.
    http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/248027/an-israeli-won-gold-in-judo-in-abu-dhabi-they-refused-to-play-his-national-anthem-so-he-sang-it-himself
    Today, Israeli Tal Flicker won Gold in Judo at the Grand Slam competition in Abu Dhabi. In contravention of the rules and explicit directives of the International Judo Federation, Flicker and all other Israeli athletes in the tournament were forbidden to compete under the Israeli flag. Thus, when Flicker ascended the winners podium, not only was his flag not displayed, but the organizers refused to play the Israeli national anthem, substituting instead the anthem of the International Judo Federation.
    noboru
    noboru

Israeli judo star Tal Flicker wins gold in UAE; officials refuse to play anthem Empty Re: Israeli judo star Tal Flicker wins gold in UAE; officials refuse to play anthem

Post by noboru Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:02 am

Does it has any good solution?

No any next competetion in Abu Dhabi?

Competetion without flags, hymn ?

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:29 pm