E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
Jihef
lperro
noboru
7 posters

Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai)

lperro

Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai) Empty Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai)

Post by lperro Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:50 am

Hello everybody,
    i finally found a copy of this book and I was very excited to read the teachings of this legendarian master.
    I found the historical and philosophical part interesting but when i started reading the technical part (that is the largest part of the book) i found my self very disappointed. Please have a look at the first tech described (de ashi barai).
    Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai) Hwb1p8IlunwhkeDg1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XEZ69GLybWzsbinv2

The author says that, starting from both in migi shizen tai, you should unbalance the opponent in the LEFT REAR CORNER corner in order to make him advance his right foot.
    ?!?!

I really don't understand how this should be done.
    If anybody could help that would be very appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    LP
    noboru
    noboru

Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai) Empty Re: Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai)

Post by noboru Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Hello, I don't know exactly as you from this description.
    Please look at this old release of Mifunes book. There is used little bit other words in deashi barai explanation and there is more pictures. Look at the page 52 in pdf
    https://ironwolf008.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/canon-of-judo-by-k-mifune.pdf
    noboru
    noboru

Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai) Empty explanation from Arima Sumimoto's book from year 1905

Post by noboru Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:41 pm

I tried to look at older sources - here is short but nice explanation from Arima Sumimoto's book from year 1905.
    Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai) Arimas10

Nice is explanation for creating situation for deashi-barai: "If your antagonist responds to your tsuri-komi by putting forward ..."
    lperro

Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai) Empty Re: Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai)

Post by lperro Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks noboru!
    But the problem is the direction of kuzushi that doesn't make any sense to me at all.
    If I unbalance him in the REAR LEFT corner why should he ADVANCE his right foot as a reaction?

Please help me understanding this.

LP
    lperro

Post by lperro Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 am

maybe it could be something like that?
    https://youtu.be/tZFMg5OJTxA?t=2m19s

(but attacking the opposite angle, so with an additional step by uke?)
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:35 pm

May be it is the reason. Make kuszushi to rear left corner for reaction of Uke for next his moving forward or make movement for his balance .

I looked to book Kodokan nage waza from Toshiro Daigo. There is similar description

Canon of Judo - Mifune book (de ashi barai) Td_kdk10

Here are footage from official old Kodokan Nagewaza video.There are lot of ways how make / how make ukes rection / creating situation for deashi barai. Look at the first way. There is kihon.

May be it helps you, thank you for this question. I learnt little bit too. I have thema for my today judo practice - deasi barai no renshu :-) May be after keiko it will be bright for me too.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:09 pm

lperro wrote: The author says that, starting from both in migi shizen tai, you should unbalance the opponent in the LEFT REAR CORNER corner in order to make him advance his right foot.
    ?!?!

I really don't understand how this should be done.
    If anybody could help that would be very appreciated.
    Hello, one way you can look at this is :
    if you make him feel like you want to unbalance him to his rear left corner, he might react, to gain his balance back, by advancing to the right.
    To me, it sounds like a classic “action-reaction” setup.

My 2 cents.
    lperro

Post by lperro Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:23 am

Thanks noboru! And thanks Jihef too. Now it starts to make more sense.
    Now It "translates" to me (not in fluent english but anyway) like this:

Starting from both in migi shizen tai.
    Break your opponent balance in his left rear corner with both hands (tsurikomi action) to make him react stepping forward with his right foot (1).
    When he tries do make a step with the left foot to re-gain the correct posture, be sure to control him in order to let him make just a small step (the right foot of the opponent should be near but backwards the left foot 2). At this point change the action of the hands to pulling and bla bla bla..

What you think? I will try this afternoon
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 am

Don't forget, these books were written a very long time ago and the quality of translation was not the best and probably made by somebody that had no idea about judo.

I assume written description is of a reatreating De Ashi Barai and by davancing the foot they are referring to the direction of movemet i.e. backwards, this would make sense.

atb

sodo

Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:18 am

sodo wrote:Don't forget, these books were written a very long time ago and the quality of translation was not the best and probably made by somebody that had no idea about judo.

I assume written description is of a reatreating De Ashi Barai and by davancing the foot they are referring to the direction of movemet i.e. backwards, this would make sense.

atb

sodo

Looking at both versions I think there are some editorial and some translation problems with the technique description.
    Generally speaking one can apply deashi moving forward or backward. When moving forward you push (not really unbalancing per se) uke so he steps back on his left foot which leaves his right foot forward and exposed. As you maintain the pressure and uke begins to lift their right foot, you have an opportunity to sweep.
    I think this is what the author was trying to describe. Not that uke advances their right foot but that the right foot is left in the advanced position as a result of the left foot being withdrawn.
    This is when it gets weird. The description of the finish where tori opens to the right to clear a path when sweeping with the left foot is really only necessary when applying deashi moving backwards, not forward as described.
    Neither do the sequence of photos seem to follow. I suspect that two different applications of deashi and two different photo sequences have been badly translated into English and then badly edited into a single description.
    I would not set my hopes too high on learning to do judo like Mifune by reading this book.
    Good judo comes in the dojo by feeling the motion and mass and momentum. Books can add some context and information but one doesn't learn judo by poring over dusty old volumes of badly edited mistranslations.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 am

The reprint of Canon of Judo, had the English cleaned up.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:25 pm

https://youtu.be/sMeitjmVI0U?t=83

Time 1:22 nice deashi barai throw in Gran Slam Tokio 2017 during movin forward.
    petrip

Post by petrip Sun May 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Canon Of Judo is no longer great source of information as things have changed. In particular how you induce uke to vulnerable position. But I have the the 2004 translation of the book and bot the pictures and text indicate the author is talking about same version I was taught when I started Judo i.e luring uke to push one leg forward and sweeping that.

First chapter in that description. "Lead the opponen forward. At this moment apply this technique on the leh he steps forward"

As a variation ther is this usual steppin circular step backwards with right leg and pulling uke more forwards than he intended to.

In competion is realle rare to see de-ashi-barai to heel. Typically forward is just swep sideway. less movement involves hence speedier

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:56 pm