E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+13
quicktap
Hanon
jkw
faxed
Jonesy
Taiobroshi
Spaceghost
Blacksmith
Cichorei Kano
Judo Dad
afulldeck
ThePieman
HumanRevolution
17 posters

University of Judo.....

Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

University of Judo..... - Page 2 Empty Re: University of Judo.....

Post by Judo Dad Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:34 pm

HumanRevolution wrote:
    Judo Dad wrote:I watched an Adams YouTube and picked up a handy ne-waza technique which I put into use at the club the same day, I was like a kid with a new toy bounce. I think Adams is an excellent communicator, not all champions are.

I also have the Koga A New Wind DVD and found that very useful to. So thanks Jonesy now I will be looking out for stuff byYeon and Inoue.
    Inoue's stuff is very good, I got it free through my club as they tend to lend Dvd's from person to person... I have ripping software so I can
    transfer and convert files on to dvds and make myself a copy, I found the 1st dvd, entitled Judoka, to be the most helpful as I'm not really
    ready to learn advanced techniques yet... I keep "calving" people in the nuts when I attempt Uchi-mata Shocked (Pardon the language).

Sounds like Inoue's stuff would be about right for me then, ta.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:22 am

HumanRevolution wrote:I have ripping software so I can transfer and convert files on to dvds and make myself a copy

This is probably something you should not admit to on a public forum.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 am

The software is legal, the act of doing this is legal (As far as I know) as long as I don't post it online towards a "larger audience" which causes profit loss to FightingFilms I don't really see the issue, I wasn't going to purchase it anyway so they were not really going to make any money off of me.

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:39 am

The act of doing it may be legal if you owned a genuine DVD and you were making further copies for your own personal use. What you were doing is essentially copyright theft. It is irrespective that you were not going to buy a copy - your are deriving benefit from other people's copyrighted intellectual property for which you have paid no consideration.
    jkw

Post by jkw Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 am

Jonesy wrote:
    He did indeed and got thrown for ippon in 20s in his one and only fight. However, it is a wonderful achievement to be an Olympian and congratulations to him though - he achieved what most of us can only dream of.

This is the fight being referred to. It's a small detail, but the throw happened at 3.30 s and not in the first 20s.

Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Embedded movie properly)
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:37 am

I shall not do it again, sorry.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:30 am

jkw wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:
    He did indeed and got thrown for ippon in 20s in his one and only fight. However, it is a wonderful achievement to be an Olympian and congratulations to him though - he achieved what most of us can only dream of.

This is the fight being referred to. It's a small detail, but the throw happened at 3.30 s and not in the first 20s.
    My mistake but also 3.30 was time left not time elapsed.
    faxed

Post by faxed Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:27 am

re beijing olympic match.
    matt d gave a creditable performance. he tried his best, and got thrown.
    as for university of judo, i welcome it. matt d seems to have incorporated ideas from:
    a. unversity of bjj (bjj dojo in sd)
    b. marcelo garcia virtual academy and online grappling websites (adams etc)
    c. marketing concepts from good doctor rhadi ferguson*
    university of judo can only help spread judo.
    as for inoue, koga, jeon dvds and the like: your understanding of the concepts discussed in these videos evolve as your judo progresses

Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:55 am

Should that be Chancellor Matt D, Dean Matt D or Professor Matt D? lol!
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:59 am

The term 'university' is not being used here as I understand the term. I spent 12 years attending one.
    Mike
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:44 am

Hanon wrote:The term 'university' is not being used here as I understand the term. I spent 12 years attending one.
    Mike
    Nor as I understand the term. Wink
    Good luck to them, I hope they make a lot of money. Rolling Eyes
    quicktap
    quicktap

Post by quicktap Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:25 am

I think this is great. I am not a member, but he has put out a lot of free material over the past few years. He spent a bunch of money to travel to get his knowledge. If he wants to make an honest leaving based on what he has learned, that is great. As far as his performance in the Olympics goes, it was IN the OLYMPICS. Makes him credible as far as I am concerned. I hope he does well. This may be of great help to people who have the extra money and time to kill at work.

Marcus
    NYCNewbie

Post by NYCNewbie Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:47 pm

I think the problem is the marketing campaign is kind of- well- cheesy.

It goes on and on and on with "free" stuff that you "get" when you sign up- which, yes, is always part of a sales pitch, but still, I just don't think it's very becoming. It's too much, it's overdone, it's not sleek enough (imo)- information overload. Testimonial after testimonial- it's all a bit much. Also, $50 a month is insane- maybe $50 first month, and $10 a month thereafter ("for the price of two high-end coffees ant Starbuck's you'll receive...").

I dunno- I just think he could have done it better. Less is more.

Btw- I'm a huge fan of Matt's and love his stuff-- I just don't particularly care for the hard sell is all. And to those who say he ought to be an Adams or a Koga in order to have credibility, I say nonsense. My God- the guy's an Olympic Judoka- among the top .01% of all Judo players on earth; that's enough for me.

In fact, he has a kind of guy-next-door attitude that makes him a great teacher. He is super down-to-earth in his videos and seems really accessible. His Beyond Grappling concept is cool- nice logo, good name, etc.- but now with this "University" stuff I fear he's spreading himself too thin (too much, too soon) and subsequently diluting his brand. He should dial it back. Then again, maybe the Rhadi-type stuff works; again, I personally just don't particularly care for it. I get a very similar type of pitch from an Airline-upgrade website ("I'll tell you the secrets of flying Business Class for pennies on the dollar")- it's the exact same kind of marketing- reams of what you'll "get," tons of testimonials- the thing scrolls and scrolls and scrolls. As of now I've never signed up for it...

Anyway, I hope he takes our criticism(s) as constructive. He is well-liked and his efforts are definitely appreciated. I wish him the best- and I think he can succeed if he just rethinks his approach a bit.
    quicktap
    quicktap

Post by quicktap Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:06 pm

Ok, he is aggressively marketing the plan. That will turn some people off but it may sway some others. I think the price point is too rich for my blood, but you and I are in a pretty good area for judo. If we were in North Dakota, we might be a little more motivated to get on this. Also, $10 is too cheap. If I remember correctly, he will analyze video of your judo and correspond with you directly. If so, there has to be some premium paid for that. This is why I love the free market. If there is not enough interest, his price will come down. I hope he makes a good living doing what he loves.
    NYCNewbie

Post by NYCNewbie Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 pm

quicktap wrote:Ok, he is aggressively marketing the plan. That will turn some people off but it may sway some others. I think the price point is too rich for my blood, but you and I are in a pretty good area for judo. If we were in North Dakota, we might be a little more motivated to get on this. Also, $10 is too cheap. If I remember correctly, he will analyze video of your judo and correspond with you directly. If so, there has to be some premium paid for that. This is why I love the free market. If there is not enough interest, his price will come down. I hope he makes a good living doing what he loves.

You're right about $10 being too cheap if he's analyzing video. The problem is that I just don't see people shelling out $50 a month- although maybe I'm wrong. Psychologically, $50 is a lot. Of course it's not actually that much- but it seems like a lot.

I hope it works out for him, though. He's a good guy and a good teacher and I like his stuff. I couldn't spend $600 a year on it though.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:08 am

HumanRevolution wrote:I was wondering what people thought of this:

http://www.universityofjudo.com/?wlfrom=%2Fsph%2F

Interesting idea or teaching to a wider audience but the pricing seems "a tad" too high.

Thoughts?

Note: It's run by Matt D'aquino.

medo

Post by medo Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:37 am

Always wary of unstoppable techniques reminds me of a club sensei who was teaching his tokiwaza. He kept saying how he had won this that with it, I could see many holes in it. Thought he's actual execution in randori would be good unfortunately I now knew what he was about to attempt and was ready with the answer.....

Pretty sure the BJJ guys would consider the unstoppable sangaku very stoppable Shocked

The other vids suggest one off's you get them against lessor players now and again whats missing is the basic principles which is shown a little in the uchimata one.

The drills most experienced instructors who do groundwork would be doing these at club level, these would be a warm up at at most clubs I know.

Why pay for what should be in normal class. Smile
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Matt D is getting angry with me, I watch his videos on YT and he's banned me from Subbing to his channel, quite trivial I know but it seems quite pathetic.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Why?
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:45 am

Hell knows...? I'd ask him but I don't know how to ask him, could be this thread?
    But again, I don't know.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:22 am

HumanRevolution wrote:Hell knows...? I'd ask him but I don't know how to ask him, could be this thread?
    But again, I don't know.

Just create another YouTube account, subscribe, and don't do anything that would warrant being blocked. If you don't want to create a new channel just write to him. In the limited conversations I've had with him over the years he strikes me as a very agreeable guy.
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Sorry, but no internet video club is worth $50/month to me. $50/yr. maybe. $10 a month or $100 a year would be the most I could ever consider for access to a video website. My actual dojo only gets me for $40/mo.
    Creamy creamy baileys
    Creamy creamy baileys

Post by Creamy creamy baileys Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:17 pm

I think it's actually a fairly interesting phenomena that were living though. Namely, that knowledge can be bought and sold - from a distance - via the net. Certainly, if you've been paying attention to Massive-Open-Online-Courseshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course you can see that people wish to augment their learning in this fashion.

I think traditionally, the issue has been in learning physical skills in this manner. I suppose if Matt were savvy enough, he could monitor where his subscribers were and then offer a local 2-3 day 'residential school' (to milk the university metaphor). GracieU certainly implies that this is a viable model.

In my opinion, a lot of the bad will seems to have been generated by the style of marketing and the newness of the product, rather then any inherent quality issue. Time will tell, no doubt. YMMV.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:17 am