E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
Hanon
Jonesy
6 posters

Nage no Kata by Sampson Sampson

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Nage no Kata by Sampson Sampson Empty Nage no Kata by Sampson Sampson

Post by Jonesy Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:44 am

Sampson Sampson, now 6 dan performing the Nage-no-kata in 1981. The demonstration is to the then BJC standard. Sampson is the Technical Director of JFA (UK) - the UK member association of the WJF.

Last edited by Jonesy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:42 am; edited 2 times in total
    Hanon

Nage no Kata by Sampson Sampson Empty Re: Nage no Kata by Sampson Sampson

Post by Hanon Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:20 am

Like it or not, pick holes in it or not THAT is a young dan grades execution of a randori no kata. There is spirit and more or less realistic attacks. I liked the kata guruma and seionage but didn't like some of the other techniques like the 'uki waza' that was their poorest technique. Remember these guys where not trained at the Kodokan so didn't learn dead kata they learned and practiced a randori kata to learn from it.

Sampson Samson is a very capable judoka. I can assure the reader I have seen him improve and his present day kata would be superior in technique to that shown 30 years ago.

All in all, warts and all, I liked this kata. I enjoyed the true spirit and the life shown, it had purpose and in no way could be called theatre or choreographed. A decent performance for a couple of then shodan or nidan pupils.

Mike
    heikojr
    heikojr

Post by heikojr Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:33 am

I liked this much more than their katame-no-kata.

Again, some strange formalities, but i assume it is done for space.

heikojr
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 am

heikojr wrote:I liked this much more than their katame-no-kata.

Again, some strange formalities, but i assume it is done for space.

heikojr

Hiya,

I agree.

Kindest regards,

Mike
    medo

Post by medo Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 am

Not convinced this was a BJC national Kata comp, qualities poor for me to distinguish faces in the background?
    A young Sam being tori and Simon Mazzullo uke they would have been nidans then. both now 6th dans, Mazzullo staying with BJC and taking more of a lead role there, since the passing of Hosaka Sensei.

I stand to be corrected but I think this was in the period when they left the BJC and went Seishin Budo with their sensei Alan Fromm just don't recognize anyone there and the hall looks like Orton hall in Peterborough.

Last edited by Jonesy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:55 pm

medo wrote:Not convinced this was a BJC national Kata comp, qualities poor for me to distinguish faces in the background?
    A young Sam being tori and Simon Mazzullo uke they would have been nidans then. both now 6th dans, Mazzullo staying with BJC and taking more of a lead role there, since the passing of Hosaka Sensei.

I stand to be corrected but I think this was in the period when they left the BJC and went Seishin Budo with their sensei Alan Fromm just don't recognize anyone there and the hall looks like Orton hall in Peterborough.
    I would agree with your evaluation medo.
    Mike
    medo

Post by medo Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Hanon wrote:
    medo wrote:Not convinced this was a BJC national Kata comp, qualities poor for me to distinguish faces in the background?

I would agree with your evaluation medo.
    Mike

The other thing is the BJC was and is opposed to breast plate badges(all badges on skirt) I remember being asked if I had another jacket because the one I turned up in I was proudly displaying my England squad "jack" on my breast my club matsuru jacket without jack was used all weekend had it airing out side the window over night ready for sundays performance Very Happy good old days
    techman

Post by techman Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Ah the good old days. It reminds me of the style of kata I did way back in'72 for my dan grade with the then Scottish section of the AJA. I still have and use one of the old style tatami from Milom of Manchester at one of my clubs, although most now use the modern versions.
    Is it just me or do you find that the old tatami gave you a better movement, my feet tend to stick a bit on the new ones, but perhaps that's just me!!
    Stevens
    Stevens

Post by Stevens Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:25 am

Jonesy wrote:Sampson Sampson, now 6 dan performing the Nage-no-kata in 1981.  The demonstration is to the then BJC standard.  Sampson is the Technical Director of JFA (UK) - the UK member association of the WJF.

Is this the way the bjc does nage no kata these days or have they been changing it towards the kodokan dvd?

The movie looks like my own teenage period with an old mat in a non-gymnastic room.
    medo

Post by medo Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:51 am

Stevens wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:Sampson Sampson, now 6 dan performing the Nage-no-kata in 1981.  The demonstration is to the then BJC standard.  Sampson is the Technical Director of JFA (UK) - the UK member association of the WJF.

Is this the way the bjc does nage no kata these days or have they been changing it towards the kodokan dvd?

The movie looks like my own teenage period with an old mat in a non-gymnastic room.

In 1981 both Sam and Simon where part of Seishin Budo under Alan Fromm although fromm sensie spent his early years under the BJC his teaching was a little different from the the BJC.

The BJC have moved towards that DVD but the teaching is very solid.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm