E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
radzfman
The_Harvest
GR3G4
7 posters

Application of the new rules in competition

GR3G4

Application of the new rules in competition Empty Application of the new rules in competition

Post by GR3G4 Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:48 pm

I watched the competitions live on the internet (I wanted to see in which direction the refereeing will go). I noticed that the refs awarded lots of penalties and that even wazari scores were in jeopardy due to possibility of a hansokumake (4th shido). All in all I can't say that new rules are bad as far as watching the competitions goes - most of the matches were very open, especially after the first score (technical, not shido). I actually like this (will still have to see how I like refereeing according to these rules).

There also weren't many hansokumake for leg grabs (I mostly watched Sofia on Sunday with the occasiona glance to Tbilisi), although you could see that some of the competitors almost grabbed the legs.

Did anyone else watch the competitions? Any comments?
    The_Harvest
    The_Harvest

Application of the new rules in competition Empty Re: Application of the new rules in competition

Post by The_Harvest Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 pm

All in all the judo more "pleasing to the eye" than usual. The judo players practised a more attacking brand of judo.
    The new rules leave no place for passive judo. There where instance where judo players where leading with waza-ari and decided to slow things up. This usually ended with a Hansoku make. Saturday in Paris we will get a clearer vision with the presence of the top ranked fighters.
    I also noticed how some of the Eastern European fighters struggled to perform their habitual judo because the no leg grabbing rules.The Georgians sent 28 fighters and went home with 1 gold medal (their worst performance at home). May be these are the signs of thing to come for them. There was a lot more Ne-Waza than usual sometimes close to 1 minute without the referees intervention.

The difference of level between the Japanese women in Ne-waza and the rest of the world was even more obvious during this weekend.
    Once it got to the ground their opponents looked helpless. This was also the case with some of the men and I heard that Kosei Inoue decided to focus on Ne-Waza during the preparation camp.
    radzfman

Application of the new rules in competition Empty Re: Application of the new rules in competition

Post by radzfman Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:23 am

Judge for yourself, but it seemed a bit more tentative.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:49 am

The_Harvest wrote:All in all the judo more "pleasing to the eye" than usual. The judo players practised a more attacking brand of judo.
    The new rules leave no place for passive judo. There where instance where judo players where leading with waza-ari and decided to slow things up. This usually ended with a Hansoku make. Saturday in Paris we will get a clearer vision with the presence of the top ranked fighters.
    I also noticed how some of the Eastern European fighters struggled to perform their habitual judo because the no leg grabbing rules.The Georgians sent 28 fighters and went home with 1 gold medal (their worst performance at home). May be these are the signs of thing to come for them. There was a lot more Ne-Waza than usual sometimes close to 1 minute without the referees intervention.

The difference of level between the Japanese women in Ne-waza and the rest of the world was even more obvious during this weekend.
    Once it got to the ground their opponents looked helpless. This was also the case with some of the men and I heard that Kosei Inoue decided to focus on Ne-Waza during the preparation camp.

Interesting, the leg grab as primary attack was of course way down to non existent under last year's ruleset, so I'm a bit puzzled as to how anyone would be stymied by no leg grabbing period,other than counters like Te Guruma?

Ben
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    Interesting, the leg grab as primary attack was of course way down to non existent under last year's ruleset, so I'm a bit puzzled as to how anyone would be stymied by no leg grabbing period,other than counters like Te Guruma?

Greetings, sir. Sorry to report that the temperature outside is a frigid 66F and that today no clouds at all obscure the sunlight.except for a slight haze left over from the marine layer fog to the west this morning. You can keep up with our horrible weather here in case you decide to skip winter camp with your team again next year.

The answer to your question might have something to do with the fact that ... according to our local A level referees .. the leg grab rule had started to accumulate so many exceptions and interpretations that it became essentially open season. We were being told as late as this autumn that "chest contact" alone could precede a drop for the drumsticks.

Yeah ... I know ... all dumb stuff ...
    nomoremondays
    nomoremondays

Post by nomoremondays Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:41 am

radzfman wrote:

Judge for yourself, but it seemed a bit more tentative.

so basically go balls out to get a score in the first couple minutes and then sit on it?
    Basketball
    btw, i'm not complaining, just stating what i say see. seems a perfectly viable strategy. your move ijf.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:48 am

BillC wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:

Greetings, sir. Sorry to report that the temperature outside is a frigid 66F and that today no clouds at all obscure the sunlight.except for a slight haze left over from the marine layer fog to the west this morning. You can keep up with our horrible weather here in case you decide to skip winter camp with your team again next year.

The answer to your question might have something to do with the fact that ... according to our local A level referees .. the leg grab rule had started to accumulate so many exceptions and interpretations that it became essentially open season. We were being told as late as this autumn that "chest contact" alone could precede a drop for the drumsticks.

Do you have any grants for teams to travel and accomadations to Sunny San Diego ? If not, myself as a poor Canadian wannabe and my equally strapped "team" will have to regretfully pass.Besides, Creston is known as the Banana Belt of BC!

We've got big doin's going on up here in April. I'll notify when finalized. Judoratt will not be pleased.

You know, I've been a national level referee, and had to put up with some pretty bizarre interpretations and often constant minor and major tweaks to interpretations of the myriad rules changes through the years. The one you noted above might rank in the middle of the pack, but is typical.

Someone in IJF doesn't want any hand to leg contact, for some reason. As CK noted, ways will be found to circumvent the new rules, and always will be regardless of what the IJF wants.

Anyway, we know it's all about the trips, Bill, it's all about the trips.

Ben
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:

All garden spots for sure ...

... like Baltimore!

judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    BillC wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:

Do you have any grants for teams to travel and accomadations to Sunny San Diego ? If not, myself as a poor Canadian wannabe and my equally strapped "team" will have to regretfully pass.Besides, Creston is known as the Banana Belt of BC!

We've got big doin's going on up here in April. I'll notify when finalized. Judoratt will not be pleased.

You know, I've been a national level referee, and had to put up with some pretty bizarre interpretations and often constant minor and major tweaks to interpretations of the myriad rules changes through the years. The one you noted above might rank in the middle of the pack, but is typical.

Someone in IJF doesn't want any hand to leg contact, for some reason. As CK noted, ways will be found to circumvent the new rules, and always will be regardless of what the IJF wants.

Ben
    What me worry? Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:46 pm