E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
ThePieman
Rob GBR
6 posters

Youtube - Uchimata comp 10mins

Rob GBR
    Rob GBR

Youtube - Uchimata comp 10mins Empty Youtube - Uchimata comp 10mins

Post by Rob GBR Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:37 pm

found another good one Very Happy

ThePieman
    ThePieman

Youtube - Uchimata comp 10mins Empty Re: Youtube - Uchimata comp 10mins

Post by ThePieman Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:28 am

Seeing so many uchi mata in a row highlights how rare it is to see it executed using a lapel grip. Neutral
    Rob GBR
    Rob GBR

Post by Rob GBR Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:29 pm

but the lapel throws are much cleaner ^.^

Youtube - Uchimata comp 10mins 31604510
    lapel, nice and clean

Youtube - Uchimata comp 10mins 45463_10
    this one, the guy charged me accross the mat and i just turned with the grip i had, just a tad outside the area =s
    j13smiley
    j13smiley

Post by j13smiley Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:22 am

That's a lot of uchi mata
    Spaceghost

Post by Spaceghost Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:51 pm

I am determined to learn harai goshi and uchi mata off the sleeve lapel, everyone in my club including my instructors always tells me to use a collar grip because its easier.
    LeighJudo
    LeighJudo

Post by LeighJudo Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Spaceghost wrote:I am determined to learn harai goshi and uchi mata off the sleeve lapel, everyone in my club including my instructors always tells me to use a collar grip because its easier.

Your instructors are wrong, yes it is sometimes easier, but not the be all and end all. Try uchi mata with a sleeve grip halfway down the forearm, maybe slightly lower and a lapel grip slightly below the collar bone. Lots of kazushi and lift, place your lead foot (right foot is fighting right handed) about 8-10inches in front of uke's right foot (this is where the lift and pull matters) and get your planted foot (left foot if you are right handed fighter) deep between uke's feet, probably 2-3 inches further back than their toes, bring your right foot through their legs to complete the throw and watch them fly.

Be sure to get lots of kazushi and lift, bringing them right on to their toes.

Harai goshi, try starting from uke's side, L position if you like. You can start the throw from a one handed grip on lapel/collar/shoulder blades, or whatever once you get the hang of it, but until you do take conventional sleeve. Take a BIG step/stride with your lead foot (again left foot if fighting right handed, bringing your foot level with uke's furthest foot away from you. This coupled with the kazushi from your lapel grip will bring them on to their toes (or at least lift their left side of their body up, leaving their right foot still grounded), then drive your rear (right) leg and right hip through and sweep.

Be prepared, this technique generates LOTS of torque. Don't be surprised if you go with it massively. Try the sleeve grip from forearm/elbow/back of armpit to see what suits you best.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Spaceghost wrote:I am determined to learn harai goshi and uchi mata off the sleeve lapel, everyone in my club including my instructors always tells me to use a collar grip because its easier.

I think it's best to do as you propose. How high you grip with your lapel hand depends on relative height of your uke. You want your lapel hand to be level with or just slightly above your own shoulder. So if uke is a lot shorter than you, you will have more of a high collar grip. I suggest you NOT learn either throw on an uke that is a lot shorter than you, or, a lot taller, if you can help it.

The high collar does help, in you have easier/more control of uke head and hence his upper body. However, it's critical, in my opinion, to learn from a normal lapel grip before moving to the higher more "power" style of gripping.

Ben

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 pm