E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

How did you learn Japanese?

HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

How did you learn Japanese? Empty How did you learn Japanese?

Post by HumanRevolution Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:09 am

I've just brought some software on learning Japanese; "Instant Immersion", can you guys tell me how you learn't Japanese?

I can't go to Japan just yet as I've just started Judo and I don't really see the point of learning over there until I've got some
    of the basics in the UK, alongside that I can't afford it as a student. Obviously the best way is to go to the country and immerse
    yourself, but I cannot for those two reasons.

I pick bits up at Judo in terminology, most of which don't apply outside the Dojo.

On a side note if any of you guys have used software I find it "goofy", quite embarrassing as it were.
    cuivien
    cuivien

How did you learn Japanese? Empty Re: How did you learn Japanese?

Post by cuivien Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm

I did 2 semesters at Uni here in Norway before going to Japan to study more, so I had most of the basic grammar etc covered before I arrived. Pronounciation has never really been a problem, since Norwegian (especially some of the dialects lol) is much more sound-complex than Japanese.
    I've tried several types of software, but the only one I've returned to again and again is 暗記 Anki. (link here). They also have a iPhone/Android app that syncs with your computer.
    I have it installed at work computer and on my phone. Usually I do a 10-15 min burst of kanji in the morning as I'm getting my first cup of coffee, then depending on my mood I spend some of the time going home by subway to do another session or to try to not forget what little Korean I know Smile
    Von_Adams

Post by Von_Adams Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:19 pm

I used Japanese Mastery Method. It doesn't focus on martial arts vocab of course, but for learning general spoken Japanese (without being confused) it was pretty awesome. Got me through the "glass-ceiling" I had hit with trying to speak Japanese on my own.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:14 pm

cuivien wrote:
    I've tried several types of software, but the only one I've returned to again and again is 暗記 Anki. (link here). They also have a iPhone/Android app that syncs with your computer.

Interesting piece of software, that I haven't seen before. How hard is to import data to create your own cards?
    cuivien
    cuivien

Post by cuivien Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:54 am

afulldeck wrote:
    cuivien wrote:

Interesting piece of software, that I haven't seen before. How hard is to import data to create your own cards?

Import? You mean from some other kind of SRS software? Never tried. I've either downloaded pre-made decks or built my own the entire time. The "shared decks" feature offers a wide variety of things to study; from GRE vocab, via organic chemistry, to the entire set of JLPT1 kanji Smile

Creating new cards is super easy though, the only thing that might take a bit of fiddling is making the card template if you want to have your own, difficult, stuff. I have a deck where the cards look as follows:

Top line: kanji/hanzi/hanja (simplified + traditional if available)
    Middle line #1: Kana reading (on- plus kun-yomi)
    Middle line #2: Pinyin reading
    Middle line #3: Hangul reading
    Bottom line #1: Meaning
    Bottom line #2: 3 common compound words using that character

I only have something like 260-280 characters in there atm, planning on expanding to ~500
    aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:17 pm

"learn't"?????.....learned.  What little Japanese (Nihongo) I do know, I learned from Japanese martial arts, and taken a couple of Japanese language classes at a Japanese Girls School in Boston area.  Girls come there from Women's University in Japan to study English and to learn about America.  I'm trying to remember the name of the University in Japan........Showa???  Maybe????

So.... hajimemashite...anata wa Nihongo o dekimasu ka.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:22 am