E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

The first Kendo motion picture

DCS
    DCS

The first Kendo motion picture Empty The first Kendo motion picture

Post by DCS Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 am

JudoSensei
    JudoSensei

The first Kendo motion picture Empty Re: The first Kendo motion picture

Post by JudoSensei Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Wow, they even had newaza in kendo. I've never seen kendo like that.
    Tai-Jutsu
    Tai-Jutsu

Post by Tai-Jutsu Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:26 am

JudoSensei wrote:Wow, they even had newaza in kendo. I've never seen kendo like that.
    Very well was not a strait Kendo school or a Kendo school at all. I think some of the other Bu Jutsu systems used Kendo equipment for their own ends.

And some Kendoka guys also practiced Koryu.

And we know that some Kendoka play Judo.

I think that was real cool to see.

I do Arnis and I love when you get in and integrate other things into it.

A Medeivl German swordmaster was qouted as saying something to the effect of "Never put a sword in a man's hand who can not first dance and wrestle."

Makes sense because the less rules you apply to weapons training, it highlights just how much of the weapon is you and really shows you how Ju Jutsu and similar Western fighting techniques came about.

I am a big beleiver in the theory that much of the evolution of Ju Jutsu/TaiJutsu/Yawara ect was a blend of Sumo skills and sword. It at lest feels that way after 16 years of JJ and 11 of Arnis crosstraining and some small training in sword.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 am

I've seen this posted several places now and so far haven't seen anyone note what struck me immediately - the guy in the white, who gets wrestled to the ground, is using a kusarigama fundo - a sickle with a weight on a line or light chain. Having practiced this, it is a vicious little weapon if handled correctly. Seeing that twirled about in what seems to be a crowded dojo is pretty interesting.

And there was grappling in old kendo - a match point could be awarded if you could take someone down and remove their men (mask).

NBK
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 am

NBK wrote:I've seen this posted several places now and so far haven't seen anyone note what struck me immediately - the guy in the white, who gets wrestled to the ground, is using a kusarigama fundo - a sickle with a weight on a line or light chain.  Having practiced this, it is a vicious little weapon if handled correctly.  Seeing that twirled about in what seems to be a crowded dojo is pretty interesting.

And there was grappling in old kendo - a match point could be awarded if you could take someone down and remove their men (mask).

NBK
    Heck ... there was grappling in kendo in the US at least through internment. Our dojo founder used to really piss people off that way ... as I hear it from his son.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:35 am

BillC wrote:
    NBK wrote:I've seen this posted several places now and so far haven't seen anyone note what struck me immediately - the guy in the white, who gets wrestled to the ground, is using a kusarigama fundo - a sickle with a weight on a line or light chain.  Having practiced this, it is a vicious little weapon if handled correctly.  Seeing that twirled about in what seems to be a crowded dojo is pretty interesting.

NBK
    Heck ... there was grappling in kendo in the US at least through internment.  Our dojo founder used to really piss people off that way ... as I hear it from his son.
    That was a result of the old Butokukai influence on kendo - and the Yubukai, sort of a subset of the Butokukai that encompassed all main kendoka. The postwar kendo distanced itself from all that, so modern kendoka wouldn't know it.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:20 pm

NBK wrote:That was a result of the old Butokukai influence on kendo - and the Yubukai, sort of a subset of the Butokukai that encompassed all main kendoka.  The postwar kendo distanced itself from all that, so modern kendoka wouldn't know it.  
    As I heard it, Sachio-sensei's family was from Wakayama-ken. If I got it right, he was born in the US but returned to Japan for school, certainly he came back to the US before the war and was interned. All of that fit with Butotukai kendo ... and judo?
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Absolutely - in fact, as a high school kid taking kendo in grade school from the mid 1930's, he'd most likely be taking it from a military reservist under the command of an active duty military officer assigned to the school to oversee physical education. This is why the occupation forces, Supreme Command Allied Powers (SCAP) outlawed school budo - it essentially became military preparatory training.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:05 am