E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+22
Richard Riehle
judoratt
TheWizardofOdds
contrarian
Judoinmotion
JakubMB
hedgehogey
Raj Venugopal
forgeron judo
Ben Reinhardt
genetic judoka
Nic
Cichorei Kano
tafftaz
Steve Leadbeater
Daran
GregW
Stacey
Udon
finarashi
OldeEnglishD
rjohnston411
26 posters

Old Man Judo

judoratt
    judoratt

Old Man Judo - Page 2 Empty Re: Old Man Judo

Post by judoratt Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:25 am

at 56 I'm very fortunate to be randoring regularly in the dojo. I do explain to them that I cheat but if I tell them that I cheat before we start its really not cheating. I regularly use the walls, window sills, doors and anything else is available.    one of my favorite moves is to unlatch the door, back my opponent up near the door attack with the lazy o ochi gari and when they lean back to catch their weight on the wall they fall through the door and i finish the throw in the hall.Very Happy
    Udon
    Udon

Post by Udon Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:28 am

Judoratt, my congratulations on a brilliant use of debana ( Unlocking the door to create the opportunity to attack uke as he stumbles back through it only to find himself thrown for ippon somewhere down the hallway). I only wish I had thought of that strategy.
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:42 pm

To quote Al Davis "just win baby"
    Richard Riehle

Post by Richard Riehle Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:12 pm

I am on the threshold of turning 78.  I still take falls, still do randori, and still go to the Kodokan at least once a year to get beat-up by the old guys in their 80's.   I have not competed since 2009, but might compete again in a Master"s tournament if the opportunity comes around again.   

No matter your age, do not stop training.   I will continue until my legs no longer carry me from the locker room to the tatami.
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

Post by OldeEnglishD Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Richard Riehle wrote:I am on the threshold of turning 78.  I still take falls, still do randori, and still go to the Kodokan at least once a year to get beat-up by the old guys in their 80's.   I have not competed since 2009, but might compete again in a Master"s tournament if the opportunity comes around again.   

No matter your age, do not stop training.   I will continue until my legs no longer carry me from the locker room to the tatami.

I bow to you sir, you are an inspiration!  As a 41 year old, I look forward to many many more years of training.  People such as yourself are proof that judo is a lifelong pursuit.
    hedgehogey

Post by hedgehogey Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:12 am

All you old people who are still doing randori are an inspiration and should make the fat middle aged sensei who claim to be too old for it ashamed of themselves
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:20 am

hedgehogey wrote:All you old people who are still doing randori are an inspiration and should make the fat middle aged sensei who claim to be too old for it ashamed of themselves

Totally agree.
    I am a middle aged "sensei" but judo without doing randori????? It's just pointless to me.
     I am injured at the moment (might have to have an operation on my groin) so no randori or judo of any kind. But If I could not partake in randori anymore I would probably retire completely.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:30 am

TheWizardofOdds wrote:At 38 nearly 39 I'm quite possibly the fittest in my class. There aren't many twenty year old etc. but nonetheless I don't shy away from anything in class from the warm up to Randori.

However...I do find myself always countering and I just can't pull the trigger and attack. It could be that the Judoka I'm playing are all 14 stone plus (I'm 11 stone). I find that it drains my energy very quickly if I initiate the attacks and I end up being more or less rag- dolled. :lol:I definitely am fit but my stamina is very poor and this makes randori quite frustrating for me. Countering seems to be frowned upon but it seems that is how I get most success.

I really like Osoto Gari but it is nonsensical because I've never once thrown anyone with it, I just feel like it is the technique for me if only I could capitalize on the moment when I need to execute the throw instead of wait, wait waiting.
    How can you be fit if you don't have any stamina?
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 am

Newaza randori + junokata + kimenokata = a prescription for geriatric judoka.
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:59 am

My biggest think at 45 is the recovery time. I have noticed I am in better shape than most guys my age. I had a life of TKD before this so I know how intensive Martial Arts can be, especially Judo. Face it Judo is a big boy sport. With that at this age the recovery time is longer so it's hard to go back to back classes. Usually after 2-3 days I have to take a day off.
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:38 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:At 38 nearly 39 I'm quite possibly the fittest in my class. There aren't many twenty year old etc. but nonetheless I don't shy away from anything in class from the warm up to Randori.

However...I do find myself always countering and I just can't pull the trigger and attack. It could be that the Judoka I'm playing are all 14 stone plus (I'm 11 stone). I find that it drains my energy very quickly if I initiate the attacks and I end up being more or less rag- dolled. :lol:I definitely am fit but my stamina is very poor and this makes randori quite frustrating for me. Countering seems to be frowned upon but it seems that is how I get most success.

I really like Osoto Gari but it is nonsensical because I've never once thrown anyone with it, I just feel like it is the technique for me if only I could capitalize on the moment when I need to execute the throw instead of wait, wait waiting.

It's poor in relation to my level of fitness. I can run, jump and throw with the best of them but I feel that I'm 'smoked' very quickly (In Randori), even though I'm fit. I know it doesn't make sense to me either, but I just feel that It's a stamina thing. I am however consistantly fighting people far heavier than myself so it's difficult to gauge if it is stamina. I'll know better if/when I actually come up against people my own size.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:05 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:

It's poor in relation to my level of fitness. I can run, jump and throw with the best of them but I feel that I'm 'smoked' very quickly (In Randori), even though I'm fit.  I know it doesn't make sense to me either, but I just feel that It's a stamina thing. I am however consistantly fighting people far heavier than myself so it's difficult to gauge if it is stamina. I'll know better if/when I actually come up against people my own size.

How heavy are you? How much judo experience? If you are new then it will come. Guaranteed. I think that more experience is key. Are you worried much about being thrown? When you vet heavy with ukemi, you will worry a lot less about being reversed and that will accommodate your commitment to throw. Being thrown is no big deal but if you throw, it is. Your throws, and more than just osoto, will come just fine. Guaranteed.

Last edited by Q mystic on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:08 pm

tafftaz wrote:
    hedgehogey wrote:All you old people who are still doing randori are an inspiration and should make the fat middle aged sensei who claim to be too old for it ashamed of themselves

Totally agree.
    I am a middle aged "sensei" but judo without doing randori????? It's just pointless to me.
     I am injured at the moment (might have to have an operation on my groin) so no randori or judo of any kind. But If I could not partake in randori anymore I would probably retire completely.

Unless they're smoking fellas for cake then it is fine. That 'fat sensei' isn't selling Big Macs.lol

No big really. Like 'Mick' from Rocky. I could freaking bury that guy.lol
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:19 am

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:

It's poor in relation to my level of fitness. I can run, jump and throw with the best of them but I feel that I'm 'smoked' very quickly (In Randori), even though I'm fit.  I know it doesn't make sense to me either, but I just feel that It's a stamina thing. I am however consistantly fighting people far heavier than myself so it's difficult to gauge if it is stamina. I'll know better if/when I actually come up against people my own size.

Stamina/endurance is part of fitness...it may be judo specific. YOu can be in what you think is good shape overall, but a specific activity for which you are not so well trained.

It sounds like you are new to Judo, so that would make sense. How long have you been doing Judo?
    GregW

Post by GregW Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:23 am

Stamina for judo is very different from stamina for running distances. I go to the YMCA a couple of times a week during practices to do some weight training and treadmill/cross-trainer work. I mainly work on getting my target heart rate up around 130 bpm and keeping it around there for about a half-hour or so. I also do some interval training. That's how I survive randori. Intense gripfighting is a real drain on energy. Randori is much more intense--an anaerobic instead of aerobic workout. It's kind of a funny thing that I'm 53 now and I'm probably in better shape than I have ever been.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:09 am

I'm 57, overweight, grossly out of condition but still in far better shape physically than most of the people I work with who are also my age.

I still get "winded" if I can't beat someone within the first 30 seconds of a fight, but my recovery time after a fight is quite fast.

Still losing weight....slowly.....but feeling so much better for it.
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Q mystic wrote:...How heavy are you? How much judo experience? If you are new then it will come. Guaranteed. I think that more experience is key. Are you worried much about being thrown? When you vet heavy with ukemi, you will worry a lot less about being reversed and that will accommodate your commitment to throw. Being thrown is no big deal but if you throw, it is. Your throws, and more than just osoto, will come just fine. Guaranteed.

I'm just under 11 stone, about 68KG.

I know what you're saying about Ukemi and It's a valid point, but I'm actually OK at it. I don't fear falling, maybe a little afraid of what my opponents are capable of!

I don't have much experience, only eleven months. I've come on well in that time. I don't expect wonders, I know Judo is about the journey really.

TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:...Stamina/endurance is part of fitness...it may be judo specific. YOu can be in what you think is good shape overall, but a specific activity for which you are not so well trained.

It sounds like you are new to Judo, so that would make sense. How long have you been doing Judo?

I am new to Judo, about eleven months now.

I don't train Running or long cardio stuff, most of my training at the moment is skipping and kettlebells. I'm trying to put together a Judo specific training regime. I've had a pull-up bar for years, I think I'll dig that out. That should be good for strength, pulling power. I like calisthenics and have a few books on bodyweight training, again I think that should be good too.

Any thoughts?
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 pm

GregW wrote:Stamina for judo is very different from stamina for running distances.  I go to the YMCA a couple of times a week during practices to do some weight training and treadmill/cross-trainer work.  I mainly work on getting my target heart rate up around 130 bpm and keeping it around there for about a half-hour or so. I also do some interval training.  That's how I survive randori.  Intense gripfighting is a real drain on energy.  Randori is much more intense--an anaerobic instead of aerobic workout.  It's kind of a funny thing that I'm 53 now and I'm probably in better shape than I have ever been.  

You're right, stamina in Judo is another thing entirely. I'm no runner, never have been. I think x-trainer work has some value though. I also do interval training with kettlebells, skipping, bodyweight exercises. I think it's relevant to Judo with the stop/start nature of randori/shiai.

I have no idea about grip fighting it's a real mystery to me. I just take my usual lapel/sleeve grip and leave my opponent to theirs. That's probably why I get thrown so easily! Seriously, I do try to stop them from taking a good grip but I don't throw as soon as I have mine so it sort of negates any advantage I may have had when grip fighting. I think it's an aspect of my judo that is sorely in need of attention.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:02 am

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:...Stamina/endurance is part of fitness...it may be judo specific. YOu can be in what you think is good shape overall, but a specific activity for which you are not so well trained.

I am new to Judo, about eleven months now.

I don't train Running or long cardio stuff, most of my training at the moment is skipping and kettlebells. I'm trying to put together a Judo specific training regime. I've had a pull-up bar for years, I think I'll dig that out. That should be good for strength, pulling power. I like calisthenics and have a few books on bodyweight training, again I think that should be good too.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, at 11 months you are not very good at Judo, so even if you had great stamina you would be having trouble dealing with larger more experienced training partners.

Skipping and kettlebells? Well, nice, but you are going to need to build a cardio base, that is basic athletic conditioning 101. I'm not talking train like a marathon runner, just something to build up your cardio system. Bike riding, running, etc., then go from there. You might consult/hire a trainer to help build a program, or consult with your coach/sensei if they have any sort of qualifications outside of Judo.

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:04 am

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    GregW wrote:Stamina for judo is very different from stamina for running distances.  I go to the YMCA a couple of times a week during practices to do some weight training and treadmill/cross-trainer work.  I mainly work on getting my target heart rate up around 130 bpm and keeping it around there for about a half-hour or so. I also do some interval training.  That's how I survive randori.  Intense gripfighting is a real drain on energy.  Randori is much more intense--an anaerobic instead of aerobic workout.  It's kind of a funny thing that I'm 53 now and I'm probably in better shape than I have ever been.  

You're right, stamina in Judo is another thing entirely. I'm no runner, never have been. I think x-trainer work has some value though. I also do interval training with kettlebells, skipping, bodyweight exercises. I think it's relevant to Judo with the stop/start nature of randori/shiai.

I have no idea about grip fighting it's a real mystery to me. I just take my usual lapel/sleeve grip and leave my opponent to theirs. That's probably why I get thrown so easily! Seriously, I do try to stop them from taking a good grip but I don't throw as soon as I have mine so it sort of negates any advantage I may have had when grip fighting. I think it's an aspect of my judo that is sorely in need of attention.

So, you do have a judo coach/sensei, right? Maybe you should be getting some help in class with that sort of stuff.
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:14 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:...Yeah, at 11 months you are not very good at Judo, so even if  you had great stamina you would be having trouble dealing with larger more experienced training partners.

Skipping and kettlebells? Well, nice, but you are going to need to build a cardio base, that is basic athletic conditioning 101. I'm not talking train like a marathon runner, just something to build up your cardio system. Bike riding, running, etc., then go from there. You might consult/hire a trainer to help build a program, or consult with your coach/sensei if they have any sort of qualifications outside of Judo.

I was considering getting my mountain bike serviced and dissapearing into the hills with it, that should help with my cardio I would imagine.

It's not a bad idea consulting a personal trainer, they should be able to put together a good program for judo. Thanks.

TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:17 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:

So, you do have a judo coach/sensei, right? Maybe you should be getting some help in class with that sort of stuff.

Yes, I have a Sensei and Instructor. We don't really work on grips an awful lot. The training is excellent, every class is different and I always learn something new. I'll ask them about grip fighting this week.
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:26 am

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:

Yes, I have a Sensei and Instructor. We don't really work on grips an awful lot. The training is excellent, every class is different and I always learn something new. I'll ask them about grip fighting this week.

Mr wizzard,
    I would stay away from grip fighting at this point, it is probably why your coach/sensei hasn't worked on them much. One of the best things you could do is work on proper gripping, it will save you energy and make all your judo more effective. I spend almost half of my time correcting gripping problems with my players at all levels.

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:34 am

judoratt wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:

Mr wizzard,
      I would stay away from grip fighting at this point, it is probably why your coach/sensei hasn't worked on them much. One of the best things you could do is work on proper gripping, it will save you energy and make all your judo more effective. I spend almost half of my time correcting gripping problems with my players at all levels.

I agree, proper gripping is pretty much ignored in most places. And I know we both don't mean grip fighting. As well as posture, tai sabaki, etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:38 pm