E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Russian Judo- Ippon Books

rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Russian Judo- Ippon Books Empty Russian Judo- Ippon Books

Post by rjohnston411 Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:35 am

I acquired a copy of Iaskevitch's Russian Judo for free.

Honestly, this book is pretty 'meh'. He shows basically belt grip setups for o soto, harai goshi, ura nage and te guruma. The pictures are alright.

The standout material was the ne waza, especially the Iaskevitch armbar roll. Pretty good stuff.

3/5 stars.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Russian Judo- Ippon Books Empty Re: Russian Judo- Ippon Books

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:00 am

rjohnston411 wrote:I acquired a copy of Iaskevitch's Russian Judo for free.

Honestly, this book is pretty 'meh'. He shows basically belt grip setups for o soto, harai goshi, ura nage and te guruma. The pictures are alright.

The standout material was the ne waza, especially the Iaskevitch armbar roll. Pretty good stuff.

3/5 stars.

Well, a book is obviously only a book, what did you expect ? Magic tricks ? I am not trying to be rude, more like tongue-in-cheek, and my additional remark would be ... if you can do these half as well as Iatskevitch, you'd be fine, more than fine, actually. Jûdô is Newtonion physics, nothing more, nothing less, and there are no books, no movies, no world or Olympic champions who master some hidden and secret knowledge that when you know it you will suddenly win 50% more of your contests. If you want to double that success, then double your training in volume and intensity and load.
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:29 am

I would have expected not magic, but perhaps something different. Perhaps more detail.

Steve Scott's Throwing book I have is actually better even though much of it I have seen before. It is the details that make it better for me.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:23 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Well, a book is obviously only a book, what did you expect ? Magic tricks ? I am not trying to be rude, more like tongue-in-cheek, and my additional remark would be ... if you can do these half as well as Iatskevitch, you'd be fine, more than fine, actually. Jûdô is Newtonion physics, nothing more, nothing less, and there are no books, no movies, no world or Olympic champions who master some hidden and secret knowledge that when you know it you will suddenly win 50% more of your contests. If you want to double that success, then double your training in volume and intensity and load.

with that said, I believe a solid understanding of basic physics is very helpful for progressing in judo. I know my understanding of physics has helped me a lot. with that in mind I can honestly say that Secrets of Judo by Jiichi Watanabe et al is my favorite judo book that I've read thus far (I have admittedly not read all that many judo books though)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 pm