E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Name that Judo throw

Ricebale
    Ricebale

Name that Judo throw Empty Name that Judo throw

Post by Ricebale Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 pm

A quick match from a 14yr old at my club, I'm curious to know how to classify the throw at the 10 seconds mark in Judo terminology.

Cheers

Emanuele2

Name that Judo throw Empty Re: Name that Judo throw

Post by Emanuele2 Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 am

Seems a yoko wakare.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:32 am

Emanuele2 wrote:Seems a yoko wakare.

Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks, not sure on that one.

Any help appreciated as the application of terminology on non-standard throws is difficult for me.

In Greco I would classify this a twisting body lock throw, the mechabics are very similar to hiza garuma but you bump the opposite knee, it is a very energy efficient throw in tgat the opponent basically thows themself, hence I would think it has a judo terminology.

I think Chikoro has an idea but is not sharing

Cheers
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

Personally I cannot see any technique in the video that could be classed in judo terminology.
    The closest I can see is that the chest to chest contact is similar to tsuri komi ashi but without the propping motion with the leg, and that is being very liberal with the judo terminology.
    I think a body lock takedown, as you call it, is as close a definition as you are likely to get
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

Knockdowns versus throws ... is this the time and place for that discussion?
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 am

tafftaz wrote:Personally I cannot see any technique in the video that could be classed in judo terminology.
    The closest I can see is that the chest to chest contact is similar to tsuri komi ashi but without the propping motion with the leg, and that is being very liberal with the judo terminology.
    I think a body lock takedown, as you call it, is as close a definition as you are likely to get

Cheers, the throw is a standard throw in Greco but I couldn't readily see a Judo term for it. The throw is however a deliberate application of movement and intention not merely a "hug and hope"

The movement is quite fast and hard to catch in full speed. I was showing some Judoka this throw last night who come and cross train in my no-gi class and we were struggling to classify it, not that every throw needs a judo name but for curiosity mostly. They came up with sasae or hiza but said it felt like a sacrifice throw on the recieving end as there is no real interposition of body in the projection of bodies.

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:52 am

Ricebale wrote:Thanks, not sure on that one.

Any help appreciated as the application of terminology on non-standard throws is difficult for me.

In Greco I would classify this a twisting body lock throw, the mechabics are very similar to hiza garuma but you bump the opposite knee, it is a very energy efficient throw in tgat the opponent basically thows themself, hence I would think it has a judo terminology.

Cheers

Firstly, I have no expertise in the combat art that is shown here. For that reason I can only look at what I see and what is shown, which may or may not be different from what the intention of the fighter. With that caveat and unless I am missing something, please explain why this would not qualify as migi-uki-goshi were an exact replication of this happen in a jûdô contest.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:54 am

Here is the twisting body lock broken down by Randy Couture vid goes for 2 mins. Might help with classicfication but probably like suggested won't have a judo name.

My guy is only 14 but I was happy with his effort, got the job done with efficiency.

Cheers
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Ricebale wrote:Thanks, not sure on that one.

Cheers

Firstly, I have no expertise in the combat art that is shown here. For that reason I can only look at what I see and what is shown, which may or may not be different from what the intention of the fighter. With that caveat and unless I am missing something, please explain why this would not qualify as migi-uki-goshi were an exact replication of this happen in a jûdô contest.

Cheers, that makes sense with me although I admit I could not have deduced that myself, I have posted a technical breakdown with goes through it slowky also which may help.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Ricebale wrote:

Here is the twisting body lock broken down by Randy Couture vid goes for 2 mins. Might help with classicfication but probably like suggested won't have a judo name.

My guy is only 14 but I was happy with his effort, got the job done with efficiency.

Cheers

Thanks for the clip. That was helpful. I understand that in MMA thus the projection with that type of gripping is integrated in a specific technique. If this were exactly how it would occur in jûdô, it would be classified as I suggested, that is as uki-goshi. It would be different from standard uki-goshi, simply by its grip, which in jûdô would be a nonstandard grip that could be referred to with the popular term "bear hug" although it does not go as far as sometimes seen. Grips with one hand under the armpit on the shoulder blade her referred to as "underarm-hook" are seen in jûdô in, for example, harai-goshi in nage-no-kata, but can equally be done for most hip-throws. In this case both arms grip in that way. The hip is not frozen to represent an axis as would be the case in koshi-guruma, but the direction of the throwing circle is within the standard range of uki-goshi. I did not know before Mr. Couture's explanation of the stepping in-between the opponent's legs was just because of the situation or standard in this MMA technique. I now understand that is part of its normal position there. In jûdô that would not change its designation.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 am

https://youtu.be/so_DogUR-js

Katanishi teaching STKA. You can understand why I can see elements of this throw in Ricebale's video
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:14 am

tafftaz wrote:https://youtu.be/so_DogUR-js

Katanishi teaching STKA. You can understand why I can see elements of this throw in Ricebale's video

The motion is very similar indeed, the pivot off the interception of contact seems to used in both throws.

The throw itself is one if those "blink of the eye" throws rather than a big "wow" throw so the mechanics are quite subtle and hard to catch at full speed, very energy efficient though and gets the job done.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 am