E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+24
Fritz
Jihef
Richard Riehle
Jonesy
Davaro
afulldeck
Kenan79
JasonS
Hanon
Tsurumaki
contrarian
judoratt
Q mystic
tafftaz
seatea
genetic judoka
BillC
Heisenberg
Steve Leadbeater
Stacey
Cichorei Kano
rjohnston411
FightingSpirit
NYCNewbie
28 posters

Is JudoForum officially dead?

NYCNewbie

Is JudoForum officially dead? Empty Is JudoForum officially dead?

Post by NYCNewbie Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 am

I click on it from time to time just to see how it's doing and now I can't even access it, period! Is it just me or is it a dead site?

JudoInfo's still around but the discussion board appears to be gone.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Is JudoForum officially dead? Empty Re: Is JudoForum officially dead?

Post by Jonesy Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:34 am

I would be keen to learn the thoughts of Judo Sensei on what has been a disastrous outcome for the Judo Forum - a Forum for which volunteer Moderators and posters devoted a lot of time and contributed a huge ammount of knowledge.
    FightingSpirit
    FightingSpirit

Post by FightingSpirit Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:43 am

E-Judo seems to be the New Judo-Forum - Re-Born...

Hoping the two forum authorities are able to work toward salvaging the archives from the historic Judo-Forum database - if for no other reason than to conduct basic data-mining - quick searches/inquiries...

- of course I'm always the overly optimistic dreamer...
    - Just something else to add to my 'Wish Bucket."
    NYCNewbie

Post by NYCNewbie Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:17 am

But wait- is it dead? As in: literally, officially, 100% gone?

If so, WOW.

Also- what is up with all the classic, timeless, EXTREMELY VALUABLE old posts, which number in the tens (if not hundreds) of thousands-- is everything just gone?!? Forever?

Some people had mentioned not having the "right" to port stuff over but I think that's a joke; Ezoic don't give a flying F__K what happens to anything on there; these are, after all, the same folks who have allowed what was THE NUMBER ONE JUDO DISCUSSION BOARD ON EARTH- and indisputably, at that- to die a slow, tortuous death by starvation and suffocation. I highly doubt they would lawyer-up and try and sue for some intellectual property infraction. It's almost humorous to try and imagine them caring about anything to do with internet Judo postings...

I am fairly amazed that this whole thing happened. How hard is it to maintain a discussion board? I'm not saying it's nothing- obviously it takes a fair amount of effort and maintenance- but for f__ck's sake it's not that difficult. This site was created and maintained in a matter of days, and it's running like a champ!!!

Why would Ezoic allow something like that to go fallow? Why kill a golden goose? Even from the most cynical viewpoint, wouldn't a company see that thousands of "customers" are on a site- so therefore it would be prudent to maintain it and make some money off it? WTF? Judo is the number two most practiced sport worldwide- and JudoForum (was) THE place where Judoka all over the world went to discuss the sport- so, uh, why not keep that going?

Who's that stupid?

I sincerely hope someone will- at least one day, when things have died down- recount exactly what on earth occurred, from beginning to end. The curiosity in myself (and likely countless others) regarding what exactly went down with what was- for many of us- one of our favorite websites continues to exist and will never go away until the reasons behind JudoForum's demise are laid bare.
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:55 am

In a word, yes.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:49 am

NYCNewbie wrote:I click on it from time to time just to see how it's doing and now I can't even access it, period! Is it just me or is it a dead site?

No, it isn't dead. It's just somewhat comatose. There supposedly were 114 users the last hour, and new posts have been added "as recently as" April 10.

The Makoto forum too is still there, though with modest activity, last post dating from February. Several other judo forums in other languages are now way past there zenith. The glory time of judo forums is over, and that is also understandable. They were once a new medium and there was an important niche for them. It offered an option for teaching across borders and languages, and people who used to exposed mostly to the teachings of their own sensei and to Western popular judo books in this way gained access to information previously only available to Japanese-speakers or limited numbers of scholars. The social function with joyful, often funny interactions has decreased on most forums. Many people sometimes have important changes in life such as a new baby, a new job, that require their attention elsewhere, things that probably also are really much more important anyways. Cyber relations and cyber-sociological behaviors such as 'un-friending' are much easier to do on forums than bring changes to real-life friends. In any case, steeply reduced activity is something I have seen in virtually all similar forums. Questions for judo-specific knowledge have often already been answered and unavoidably become repetitive, with the function of the remaining forums more becoming social chatting sessions, an occasional less personal (in the sense of "targeted carefully constructed of providing an individual solution") one-liners and brief messages.
    NYCNewbie

Post by NYCNewbie Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:53 am

No, it isn't dead. It's just somewhat comatose. There supposedly were 114 users the last hour, and new posts have been added "as recently as" April 10.

Really? Because I cannot access it at all. Not in any way, shape, or form.

Will you respond to this post with a working link please?
    JudoSensei
    JudoSensei

Post by JudoSensei Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am

Yes, it is dead as far as I'm concerned. I can't do anything on the old forum. I am as disappointed as anyone at the performance of Ezoic. I was promised that judoinfo and judoforum would be improved and properly maintained for the long term. I have given up complaining about it or trying to get them to restore the functionality. They have been pretty much non-responsive.

I makes no sense to me.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 am

NYCNewbie wrote:

Really? Because I cannot access it at all. Not in any way, shape, or form.

Will you respond to this post with a working link please?

Well, maybe JudoForum MI5 has been looking with because now I can't open posts anymore myself either. I can still get to the main index, and to subindexes, such as the index of the kata forum, or even a sub-sub index such as the index of Koshiki-no-kata within the kata forum:

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/index

and one can access one's own profile, etc.

So, I stick with my original diagnosis of 'comatose'. If it were really dead, than nothing would be there any more, except for a corpse that would not react to anything.

I would have hoped that before they went comatose they would at leased have 'upped' my star status to 5 ...

Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 am

on the lighter side, new forum means that blue gi discussions are new here, and not repetitive......... jocolor

I am equally disappointed. I had more than 10,000 posts, of which 1 or 2 were of actual quality. I found 4 relatives I didn't know about because of my blog AND my ankle made it to Harvard Med because of that blog and a little YouTube.

The other wonderful thing was the ability to walk into a tournament I'd never attended before and find out that specific names were attached to specific people. Nice to see so many judoka in person feeling like I knew a thing or two about them.

I was also hoping for another judo forum camp, not to mention a resurrection of the secret handshake thread.

There is a hesitancy to post, and I imagine that it's even greater for those who posted a lot of knowledge on the old JF, to vest a lot of time and energy into a new forum. While ejudo is a different beast, there's still no guarantee that it'll be up tomorrow. The owners of the tech and servers may sell to ezoic, or something else may happen, and that's quite a demoralizing thing.

The loss of the old JF is demoralizing. But, if we give this forum time, hopefully we'll get a community feeling again, and once again become a place where serious (and not so serious) judo can be discussed.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:

So, I stick with my original diagnosis of 'comatose'. If it were really dead, than nothing would be there any more, except for a corpse that would not react to anything.

That would be a "404 error"

Cichorei Kano wrote:

I would have hoped that before they went comatose they would at leased have 'upped' my star status to 5 ...

You're just miffed that there are no star counts here Twisted Evil
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 pm

AARRGGHHH!!!!!!

Backend server did not respond in time.
    App server is too busy and cannot handle requests in time.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:48 pm

If there are topics you're interested in, suggest digging them out quickly.

One way:
    Google search with the following string.
    site:judoforum.com PLUS WhateverTopicYouSeek
    Then downloaded the CACHED version, not the current version.

You can switch to TEXT ONLY to get rid of the graphics.

NBK
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 am

My question is ....Whats is happening with the Conclave of Cardinals and Bishops ?? scratch
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:19 am

Steve Leadbeater wrote:My question is ....Whats is happening with the Conclave of Cardinals and Bishops ?? scratch

All bishops and cardinals have voluntarily put up salte their amices, albs, cinctures, maniples, stoles, chasubles, copes, dalmatics, surplices and birettas, and have married or are now dating their favorite nuns.

Stacey is now Soeur Supérieure of Chastity, and also in control of the Judo Forum' Abbey's beer stock.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Steve Leadbeater wrote:My question is ....Whats is happening with the Conclave of Cardinals and Bishops ?? scratch

Stacey is now Soeur Supérieure of Chastity, and also in control of the Judo Forum' Abbey's beer stock.

oy gevalt!
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:49 am

Maybe Sensei has an old SQL backup with the valuable stuff on it? Not sure how that works with his sales contract, but it would be great to have it available. I know with vBulletin/Impex I can source just about any forum software brand's SQL dump and turn it into usable forum post data.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:44 am

Neil owned the JudoForum ... it was his ... it was a lot of work ... and he sold it. he explained this many times before, leave the poor guy alone.

End of story.

Reminds me of this ...

rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 am

^Agreed.

It's gone, folks, move on.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 am

agree with the above two comments. sometimes a buddhist view is beneficial. it was nice while it lasted, but nothing is permanent. get as much use out of this one while it's still around, and that way you won't cry too much when it's gone.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 am

Stacey wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:

oy gevalt!

I can't believe that The Sister Superior of Chastity is not in need of an "expert" in beer stocks, to assist Her Reverence in the "Quality Control" of said beer. Shocked
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:50 am

Wouldn't something like Wayback Machine be useful in accessing JudoForum content?
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:08 am

https://youtu.be/npjOSLCR2hE

enough said
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:09 am

Steve Leadbeater wrote:
    Stacey wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:

oy gevalt!

I can't believe that The Sister Superior of Chastity is not in need of an "expert" in beer stocks, to assist Her Reverence in the "Quality Control" of said beer. Shocked

quality control, sure. Quantity control? never!
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:44 am

seatea wrote:Wouldn't something like Wayback Machine be useful in accessing JudoForum content?

Must be an age thing ... I'd find this wayback machine to be more useful ...

... would have been appropriate last week at Nationals.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:48 pm