E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+11
finarashi
annmaria
Dutch Budo
Ben Reinhardt
Q mystic
Ricebale
beyondgrappling
BillC
judoratt
rjohnston411
Jonesy
15 posters

IJF outlawed techniques

contrarian
    contrarian

IJF outlawed techniques - Page 2 Empty Re: IJF outlawed techniques

Post by contrarian Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:35 pm

DougNZ wrote:
    judoratt wrote:  How many of these are you teaching in your dojo today?
    Ummm ... I'm teaching all those, though I only really 'show' the hand assisted ko uchi / o uchi.  My background is Kawaishi jiu jitsu and the aim is to do what those throws were meant to do - incapacitate someone.  Of course, as Kawaishi throws, some have different names.  

We now disallow kani basami in sport ju-jitsu competition.  That call was mainly to keep the judo entrants happy; I competed in the days it was allowed and never saw a leg injury.  The trick was correct leg placement to either unbalance uke backwards or fold them to the ground; there was never leverage against the legs.  In fact the danger was more from whip-lash knock-outs!

Another technique disallowed is that shown as ashi garami but not as a takedown.  It is disallowed because people then attack with a heel hook and the twisting motion wrecks knees quickly.  It also does ankles nicely because there is no pain warning before the ankle goes, unlike most other joint injuries.  In sport ju-jitsu all leg locks must be straight / in line.

We still score lifting uke's head above tori's shoulder, though the referee then immediately calls 'break'.  It is illegal to 'bounce' an opponent who has the guard, therefore the lift cannot become a drop.

We also discourage go jime, not for the damage it can cause uke but because of the long-term damage it does to tori's knees.
    what is awesome.
    that should be adopted in judo and bjj.
    aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Jonesy wrote:

Bring them all back I say.
    Well, I can see, and I'd agree with prohibited the last ones from Kubi Nage onward to the end of the video. But what would be wrong with doing a nice Koshi Guruma with your arm wrapped around uke's neck? That is how I learned to do it, and how I do it. But I don't see what is wrong with all the others prior to Kubi Nage.

But very excellent video, thank you, I saved it.
    aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:08 pm

rjohnston411 wrote:As you say, if taught properly, no issue. How many can properly teach them? I don't want my ankle snapped by a poorly executed kani basami because of enthusiasm but bad teaching.

I do like kani, I think it looks pretty cool.
    Why would, why is, Kani Basami being executed upon your ankle????? That is MY question. That is totally WRONG!!!
    aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:11 pm

It just seems, with all of these continuous Rules changes, and prohibiting more and more techniques, Judo is simply going to be reduced to Grabbing and Pulling, and whoever gets the fewest penalties.....WINS!!!   This is NOT Judo!!!

As an Example:..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aexk1Q1zQs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 am