E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
cuivien
Q mystic
6 posters

Chronic pain has disappeared.

Q mystic
    Q mystic

Chronic pain has disappeared. Empty Chronic pain has disappeared.

Post by Q mystic Sat May 04, 2013 4:21 am

In 2007 I hurt my back pulling a dresser, with a tv on top, away from the wall. The pain was really bad (severe) for some time but subsided somewhat. The pain never went away tho and for the last 6 yrs it has still been quite painful. I could not jump out of bed, it took some time and was always painful. I just assumed over time that this was age. (p.s. this is often coupled with an annual pinched nerve in my neck.)

I also had what I believe was an impinged shoulder. Always on the right but on the left occaisionally also. Has been there for about 3 or 4 years. Just used ice packs for this.

Also, at my right elbow for nearly 2 years I've had golfers elbow, and on my left I've had tennis elbow for about a year. These weren't annoying, they were painful. Used wraps for these.

My auto factory job did not seem to affect these. I mean, it hurt sometimes when doing things but they werent regular enuff for what whould be considered chronic movement. Infact, over the last 6 months of work I was doing inspection and this was little to zero physical labour, outside of standing.

I just chalked it all up to getting old fast from my younger comp judo days coupled with my alcohol/tobacco lifestyle.

I've been out of factory work now for nearly 4 months(going to school) and alll my pain from before is GONE!! Gone!!! Very Happy

I feel very, very young physically. Very Happy
    cuivien
    cuivien

Chronic pain has disappeared. Empty Re: Chronic pain has disappeared.

Post by cuivien Sat May 04, 2013 8:55 am

congratulations on being pain free Smile

did you ever get your back issues diagnosed (and attempted fixed), or was it more of a "dammit this hurts, but gonna tough it out"?
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Sat May 04, 2013 9:12 am

cuivien wrote:congratulations on being pain free Smile

did you ever get your back issues diagnosed (and attempted fixed), or was it more of a "dammit this hurts, but gonna tough it out"?

well, my last record in the last year, which I have with me now, reads like, low back pain, cause wrestling throw(I said judo, lol, dr's are smart), injection of, sry, I forget, but just a common painkiller in liquid form. Its in a stack of papers but went thru them recently.

Have been to a chiropractor who ran that vibrating thing up and down my spine for some time for about 6 weeks.

Prolly 6 visits to the dr over 6 years. Have been x-rayed twice and told to go to a physio person but I'm just not a believer in physio. I kinda regret that tho as I think I just chalked it up to old age and previous judo. I know plenty that go thru physio and it doesnt work but in hindsight, they were getting paid ok for it not to. Some praised it; however, and I just assumed the negative.

All in all a 'tuff it out' really tho, cuivien. Just a 'learn to live with it' stuck out, coming from tuffer judo vets, now I think.

Has to be the standing on cement. 22 yrs factory work.(worked since 12 and never, ever took a day off With Pay due to injury or issue....just want to say that.lol)
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sat May 04, 2013 2:12 pm

amazing how bad standing on cement for extended periods can be on your back and other parts of your body..... Think of the shape you'd be in without judo
    cuivien
    cuivien

Post by cuivien Sat May 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Q mystic wrote:
    well, my last record in the last year, which I have with me now, reads like, low back pain, cause wrestling throw(I said judo, lol, dr's are smart), injection of, sry, I forget, but just a common painkiller in liquid form. Its in a stack of papers but went thru them recently.

Have been to a chiropractor who ran that vibrating thing up and down my spine for some time for about 6 weeks.

Prolly 6 visits to the dr over 6 years. Have been x-rayed twice and told to go to a physio person but I'm just not a believer in physio. I kinda regret that tho as I think I just chalked it up to old age and previous judo. I know plenty that go thru physio and it doesnt work but in hindsight, they were getting paid ok for it not to. Some praised it; however, and I just assumed the negative.

All in all a 'tuff it out' really tho, cuivien. Just a 'learn to live with it' stuck out, coming from tuffer judo vets, now I think.

Has to be the standing on cement. 22 yrs factory work.(worked since 12 and never, ever took a day off With Pay due to injury or issue....just want to say that.lol)

Guessing the injection was probably some derivative of cortisone, I got a similar shot after a lower back injury during my time in the army. It reduced the pain, but did not eliminate it.
    After the army I got diagnosed with excessive lumbar lordosis, most likely a result of the injury combined with long days of drill commands and marching on concrete. Stupid doc prescribed 20 sessions of chiro, didn't help a bit. Figured I would have to live with it as well... Neutral

Cure for me was starting weight lifting, plus two things: kettlebell swing (demonstrated here), and the tips&tricks provided by K-Starr @ MobilityWOD. Both are well worth checking out IMO Very Happy
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat May 04, 2013 10:32 pm

cuivien wrote:
    Guessing the injection was probably some derivative of cortisone, I got a similar shot after a lower back injury during my time in the army.

Not necessarily. There are many non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents suitable for injection available on the market, and in addition a whole range of local anesthetics. Local anesthetics (lidocain, novocain, xylocaine) usually work for only briefly although some longer-acting agents exist (bupivacain), but they are sometimes mixed with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (diclofenac, indomethacin, etc.). The advantage of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory over cortisone-like agents is that it will not suppress the body's own cortisone synthesis and secretion. Another advantage is that they do not cause the muscle impairment through break down of amino acids or typical glucocorticoid activity.
    cuivien
    cuivien

Post by cuivien Sun May 05, 2013 4:03 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Not necessarily. There are many non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents suitable for injection available on the market, and in addition a whole range of local anesthetics. Local anesthetics (lidocain, novocain, xylocaine) usually work for only briefly although some longer-acting agents exist (bupivacain), but they are sometimes mixed with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (diclofenac, indomethacin, etc.). The advantage of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory over cortisone-like agents is that it will not suppress the body's own cortisone synthesis and secretion. Another advantage is that they do not cause the muscle impairment through break down of amino acids or typical glucocorticoid activity.

I know xylocaine/lidocaine primarily from two things; one being the local anesthetics the dentist shot me up with just yesterday as I was removing a wisdom tooth; the other is as the active ingredient in a pretty common ointment used for minor cuts, burns, and stuff like a cold sore.
    Diclofenac I vaguely seem to recall hearing about in relation to my dad's hip replacement a couple of years ago, but the others are new to me...
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sun May 05, 2013 6:01 am

What? So he does not post here anymore? This is news to me ....
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 am

Stacey wrote:amazing how bad standing on cement for extended periods can be on your back and other parts of your body..... Think of the shape you'd be in without judo

Yeah, I think it has to be the standing on cement and that the shoulder and elbow pain are from over-compensating due to backpain. I really feel so good right now with zero pain. I think about it and smile and it almost brings a tear to my eye.lol Just the chronic pain and the constant thinking that it just feels like you are falling apart gets you so frustrated some times. And, I know that I didn't have it bad compared to some people.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Mon May 06, 2013 5:17 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    cuivien wrote:
    Guessing the injection was probably some derivative of cortisone, I got a similar shot after a lower back injury during my time in the army.

Not necessarily. There are many non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents suitable for injection available on the market, and in addition a whole range of local anesthetics.

Just checked and it was Neprosyn. Which reminded me, after searching, that the nurse said, 'liquid naproxen'. I don't know why I forgot the name as thats the med the dr.s always given me in pill prescriptions.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 am

personally I find that when I am surprisingly pain free, the best thing to do is knock on wood, keep it to myself, and don't think about it too much. I feel like every time I think about how long it's been since I'd sustained an injury, a fresh one is waiting right around the corner. so I just don't think about it.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Fri May 10, 2013 9:10 am

genetic judoka wrote:personally I find that when I am surprisingly pain free, the best thing to do is knock on wood, keep it to myself, and don't think about it too much. I feel like every time I think about how long it's been since I'd sustained an injury, a fresh one is waiting right around the corner. so I just don't think about it.

I hear you GJ, but I was pretty darn sure these werent necessarily 'injuries' for some time. I was thinking old age type pain setting in, and I kinda just want others to not necessarily believe that if they have similar pain, that it will last. It didnt for me with pain from 37-43 yrs of age. I also have a personal vendetta at people claiming others are too old but suspect the net will set this straight.lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am