E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
Davaro
Ben Reinhardt
genetic judoka
rjohnston411
8 posters

Judo with a damaged shoulder

rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Judo with a damaged shoulder Empty Judo with a damaged shoulder

Post by rjohnston411 Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:44 am

So I aggravated an old shoulder injury in my right side. Some may re-call that I did it the other night doing a whole bunch of probably crappy uchikomis (including sannin).

Anyway, I thought I might focus on de ashi/okuri ashi barai. What else does not focus on the shoulder? O soto gari seems to irritate it somewhat.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Judo with a damaged shoulder Empty Re: Judo with a damaged shoulder

Post by genetic judoka Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:08 am

ouchi gari, kouchi gari, kosoto gari, ippon seoi nage (believe it or not), tanei otoshi (though I'm hesitant to suggest that throw to a white belt, no offense), tomoe nage, sumi gaeshi, ashi guruma.

oh and flying armbars. just kidding. don't do flying armbars.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:30 am

rjohnston411 wrote:So I aggravated an old shoulder injury in my right side. Some may re-call that I did it the other night doing a whole bunch of probably crappy uchikomis (including sannin).

Anyway, I thought I might focus on de ashi/okuri ashi barai. What else does not focus on the shoulder? O soto gari seems to irritate it somewhat.

Well, next time stop when you feel it getting irritated.

Ashi barai will probably bother you the least. The others Genetic listed, try and see how they feel then go from there.

And see a doctor about the shoulder if you have not already, do the PT or whatever to get well (if possible).

Make sure you are using good form for whatever you do.

Davaro
    Davaro

Post by Davaro Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:32 am

Kani basami?
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:21 am

rjohnston411 wrote:So I aggravated an old shoulder injury in my right side. Some may re-call that I did it the other night doing a whole bunch of probably crappy uchikomis (including sannin).

I feel for you. I've had two shoulder operations on my right shoulder, 1 on my left and currently have a grade 4 AC Shoulder separation on my left shoulder from an accident last year. I will say this, Judo is less painful than sleeping:-)

Traditional grips for throws really irate my shoulders as does most if not all of the Koshi-waza. I tend to do Te-waza and Sutemi-waza as the majority of my throws....oh yes, any side flying juji...
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:20 am

My issues were a result of doing lots of heavy snatches and presses. I probably didn't always have good form either so it was me, not weightlifting.
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:38 am

So is ippon seoi nage with the leg out a la tai otoshi viable and/or a good idea?
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:55 am

ok, I came into judo with crappy shoulders and a history of shoulder surgeries. Here's what I know: usually, your shoulder's weak in some directions but not others. So, what you do is look at the throw and modify your arm actions to work with what your shoulders can do, and stay away from the crap that hurts, is weak, or causes your fingers to go numb. Almost all throws can be done if you modify your grip and your arm action.

fwiw, tai otoshi is great - you keep your hands in front of your face and your arms don't really move independent of your body so you can anchor your elbows either to your own body or to your partner's body. I usually do one elbow to my partner's body, and one to my own, the lead hand to my own, and the trailing hand to my partner's body. As long as I keep arms bent and hands in front of me where I can see them, my partner's going over.

So, just figure out what your shoulder likes to do and make your throws conform to those motions. Unorthodox grips and arm positions and movements can really work to your advantage, now only because your shoulders will appreciate it, but because your partners are unfamiliar with it.
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:54 am

[quote="rjohnston411"]So is ippon seoi nage with the leg out a la tai otoshi viable and/or a good idea?[/quote

I would not suggest it, learn the correct throw first before you do the hybrids. And by the wat ever see anyone sucessfu with that throw? It is very difficult to rotate a drive with the foot out. JMHO Smile
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Angelo Parisi (who is 1,000x better than I could hope to be.)
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:06 pm

rjohnston411 wrote:Angelo Parisi (who is 1,000x better than I could hope to be.)

Well if it is good enough for Angelo you should practice it.
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:31 am

Surely my left shoulder suffers from too may seoiotoshi and maybe collar lifting uchikomi.  It was only after 50 years or more that it began to give me problems, but now it will go out of joint even when taking a shower -- if I reach up too fast or out back or something.  Tendons really gets snaked up and it hurts or a week or more.  IMHO it is a Judo legacy so get used to it.
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 am

afja_lm139 wrote:Surely my left shoulder suffers from too may seoiotoshi and maybe collar lifting uchikomi.  It was only after 50 years or more that it began to give me problems, but now it will go out of joint even when taking a shower -- if I reach up too fast or out back or something.  Tendons really gets snaked up and it hurts or a week or more.  IMHO it is a Judo legacy so get used to it.
    <.<
    >.>

No!

*runs away*
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:55 am

There was a time when I was doing morote seoinage wrong and this was pointed out to me by Miyazato sensei (Okinawa) who corrected the way I held my right hand while grasping the collar.  It was a bad habit I fell into when my wrist would bend outward and then would force my elbow to cross over into my chest a little. This would then put an unnatural twist to my right shoulder joint.  It was not easy for others to see because they too fell into the bad habit, but Miyazato sensei warmed me that the practice would damage my shoulder joint.  Also, it was not the best and most efficient method to follow though with seoinage.  I then re-learned seoinage by twisting my hand/wrist inward toward my little linger and wrap uke’s GI collar up into my hand – giving more security in the execution.  It was too late to save my shoulder because we would do millions of uchikomi of our tokuiwaza (SP?) and it took it toll on our body. Judo can be practiced wrongly until someone with the knowledge comes along to correct us. At any rate my later on sensei validated what Miyazato showed me and they too had ruined their shoulders in their early practicing days as well.

Of course, this happened 53 years ago and I suspect the youngsters on here would not know much about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:40 pm