E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+6
Stacey
jkw
Fritz
samsmith2424
rjohnston411
Jonesy
10 posters

Nin-judo Federation of Ireland

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Nin-judo Federation of Ireland Empty Nin-judo Federation of Ireland

Post by Jonesy Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:50 am

Anyone encountered Dr Stephen Salvati - "a 9th Dan black-red belt in Nin-Judo...."?

I also found this:

http://www.mcomet.com/celebrity/Stephen_Salvati-1483990/biography.html and http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2474123/bio

"Mini Biography - Stephen Salvati
    Having a B.A. in Literature & Psychology, M.Ed in Education and a Doctorate Ph.D in Philosophy of Educational Psychology, Stephen has taught and lectured in numerous colleges and universities across Europe and Asia.

He went on to become the founder of EuroFox Pictures. Stephen is the star, writer and director of his latest action/thriller project, "Dance With The Devil".

His extensive background in Martial arts has earned him the silver Olympic Judo medal in the 1988 Seoul Olympics; twenty-four 1st place Judo medals (both continental and intercontinental); a black belt 7th Dan in Judo; a black-red belt 9th Dan in Nin-Judo and official recognition as a top instructor by The Irish Judo Association.

Nin-Judo which is a modern martial arts discipline founded by Stephen, is a super-charged version of Judo with plenty of amazing techniques, glorious and dance-spiced moves.

Stephen has produced, directed and performed in 11 documentaries in 2006, nine of which have been screened across Italy.

Stephen's teaser of his own movie project,"Dance With The Devil" has been screened at Cannes Film Festival in France, May 2006.

Stephen is currently in production of his latest feature-length thriller documentary of, 'Bram Stoker's Dracula', to be released mid summer 2007. The Music and final completion stages of'Bram stoker's Dracula' is in process and will shortly be ready for screening.

He is also in pre-production of his Western drama, to be shot in New Mexico, USA around late summer 2007."

Nothing to suggest it was written by Stephen Salvati, but noone of that name medalled at Seoul.

Last edited by Jonesy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Nin-judo Federation of Ireland Empty Re: Nin-judo Federation of Ireland

Post by rjohnston411 Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:19 am

I couldn't find much that wasn't done by him in terms of sites and articles which suggests bullshit.
    samsmith2424

Post by samsmith2424 Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:44 am

I have found his face book page and sent him the link to this page.

From face book page of nin-judo

Nin-Judo Federation Of Ireland was established in 2008 by Nin-Judo founder Sensei Stephen Salvati a 9th Dan black-red belt in Nin-Judo and a 2nd Dan black-belt in Judo. He has been training and coaching the martial arts over 30 years now.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nin-Judo-Federation-of-Ireland/129175137153903?id=129175137153903&sk=info
    Fritz
    Fritz

Post by Fritz Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 am

His extensive background in Martial arts has earned him the silver Olympic Judo medal in the 1988 Seoul Olympics;
    Maybe they forgot him:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo_at_the_1988_Summer_Olympics

Razz
    jkw

Post by jkw Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 am

Jonesy wrote:Anyone encountered Dr Stephen Salvati - "a 9th Dan black-red belt in Nin-Judo...."?

Nice compilation of Koga clips, so it's not all bad...
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:53 am

I'm also kinda curious how you go about making a documentary of Bram Stoker's Dracula. He's not making a documentary, The Making of Bram Stoker's Dracula, but a documentary of the story itself. Last I heard, Stoker's long dead, and Dracula, Stoker's version, Stephen King's version, whoever's version, is fiction. Trying to turn fiction into fact.... I'm sensing a thread.....
    jkw

Post by jkw Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 am

Stacey wrote:I'm also kinda curious how you go about making a documentary of Bram Stoker's Dracula. He's not making a documentary, The Making of Bram Stoker's Dracula, but a documentary of the story itself. Last I heard, Stoker's long dead, and Dracula, Stoker's version, Stephen King's version, whoever's version, is fiction. Trying to turn fiction into fact.... I'm sensing a thread.....

Perhaps it is a documentary about the novel itself? The background to Bram Stoker writing the book is quite an interesting tale, not to mention the early development of gothic literature and its subsequent treatment in pop-culture.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 am

jkw wrote:
    Stacey wrote:I'm also kinda curious how you go about making a documentary of Bram Stoker's Dracula. He's not making a documentary, The Making of Bram Stoker's Dracula, but a documentary of the story itself. Last I heard, Stoker's long dead, and Dracula, Stoker's version, Stephen King's version, whoever's version, is fiction. Trying to turn fiction into fact.... I'm sensing a thread.....

Perhaps it is a documentary about the novel itself? The background to Bram Stoker writing the book is quite an interesting tale, not to mention the early development of gothic literature and its subsequent treatment in pop-culture.

it is a very interesting history, as is the history of gothic novels (The Yellow Wallpaper is one of my favorites, as is Sweeney Todd. most classic gothic novels are available for free at Project Gutenberg). I just don't see how it can be considered "action packed" Maybe he's playing mary Shelley as she devises Frankenstein as part of a game of one-upsmanship.
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:27 pm

What is it about martial arts that attracts frauds like flies to shit?
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:43 pm

searching for EuroFox productions gave this
    http://www.filmmakersnetwork.ie/forums/showthread.php?6975-EUROFOX-PICTURES-an-actors-warning

seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:51 pm

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/film/dubliners-dracula-drama-to-premiere-at-cannes-27909385.html
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:02 pm

It occurs to me ... there is already a web site called Bullshido that deals with this kind of prevarication ... fakes, frauds, fantasies ... maybe this is not the site to spend a great deal of time seeking out this kind of behavior.

Yes, Seatea, plenty of bullshit in judo ... and if I recall correctly you were on the receiving end of some unkind comments on the previous forum because someone didn't like the polish applied to a kata you posted, a kata performed by someone you respected.

I have been as guilty as anyone ... characterizing Bujinkan ... and I stole the comment having found it humorous and appropriate ... characterizing Bujinkan as "holding your arm out while someone beats the crap out of you." In my defense, the poster aggressively asked for such a comment, a poster from my home town.

But this Irish silver medalist ... maybe he went to the Olympics in Pyeongyang by mistake ... didn't seek an opinion here. Neither did the Musical Wind people. Maybe those inclined to post something for certain of us here to snicker and throws rock at, whether a kata that doesn't meet someone's standards, or an imaginary martial art ... maybe Bullshido is the best place to post that kind of stuff ... unless perhaps the poster already has a reputation over there ... in which case I refer first to my Mom ... "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it."

For those that need it and like that sort of thing, there is biblical precedent.

You, O king, were watching; and behold, a great image! This great image, whose splendor was excellent, stood before you; and its form was awesome. This image’s head was of fine gold, its chest and arms of silver, its belly and thighs of bronze, its legs of iron, its feet partly of iron and partly of clay.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:07 pm

From my perspective:

1. Nothing wrong in operating and grading outside the IJF orbit of NGBs. Plenty of good judoka do.

2. Nothing wrong in founding your own system and giving yourself whatever rank you want, provided you are up front about it all. Many arts started this way and Dr Salvati is totally transparent about this. I would prefer the name of the art is not open to confusion, but that is a relatively minor matter.

3. But, either you won a judo silver medal at the Seoul Olympics, or you did not. It seems that Dr Salvati did not.
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:23 pm

BillC wrote:Yes, Seatea, plenty of bullshit in judo ... and if I recall correctly you were on the receiving end of some unkind comments on the previous forum because someone didn't like the polish applied to a kata you posted, a kata performed by someone you respected.
    That wasn't me. Apart from the odd troll everyone from here and the old forum has been unfailingly kind.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:26 pm

seatea wrote:
    BillC wrote:Yes, Seatea, plenty of bullshit in judo ... and if I recall correctly you were on the receiving end of some unkind comments on the previous forum because someone didn't like the polish applied to a kata you posted, a kata performed by someone you respected.
    That wasn't me. Apart from the odd troll everyone from here and the old forum has been unfailingly kind.

Ah, sorry, mistaken identity. Looking back it was Seoul Tee ... I had you as the same person.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:07 pm

the text says "earned him the silver Olympic Judo medal in the 1988 Seoul Olympics;". It does not say he won anything. It does dot say anything about Olympic silver. In 2007 EC Tampere we were selling silver commemorative pins. So he might have just earned money enough to buy a silver olympic judo pin?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:41 am

My suggestion would be that if someone has a vested interest in the meaning or background of the federation or the accuracy of those details to contact the person himself and ask. That is probably a lot more efficient and fair than public speculation. The person is not a public person, not a member here and all one has to do is contact him and ask.

There may be many explanations. Now, I cannot recall Ireland ever having won an Olympic judo medal in the males division, although John Ryan ended 5th in the Open during the 1964 Olympics. Also, the Olympic Athletes Results Search Engine does not return any positive results under that name (http://www.olympic.org/olympic-results), but there may be other explanations for that too such as name change or database error.

I also point out that nothing in the text suggests that this medal was actually for Ireland. Looking at the surname and other publicly posted history I would expect that perhaps the references are to a Middle-Eastern country. It may also be that there is an error in the text and that the medal was in a sport different from judo.

I point out that it is also very well possible for a person to win world championship and continental championship judo medals in other than IJF championships, as there are other organizations that organize their equivalent. Some medals might even have been in kata, though yes, there are currently no jûdô kata Olympics. In any case, when lay people refer to a sport results in judo chances are they have never heard the word kata and might not report it. For them a world champion judo kata is little different from a world champion in non-kata judo, just like a world champions exist in different sub-disciplines of gymnastics. Furthermore, in the past the World Master's Judo Association, or IBF, or the WJA all have had their major competitions such as world and continental champions. While probably less prestigious, and probably a lot less media attention, and while those with medals in probably much larger IJF contests may well look down on achievements in other organizations, it is also a simple reality that exists in several other posts. Boxing is a good example, where some hold world champion titles in WBA or WBC and sometimes in several, and sometimes one not recognizing the other, etc.

Without seeing the kanji for 'nin' I have no idea what "nin-judo" means. It is apparently something fairly recent, apparently only in existence since 2008. For those who do not speak Japanese, there are various words 'nin' in Japanese, and using the term 'nin' in a compound name does not at all imply any link with ninja or wooshiwooshi-arts. 'Nin' could refer here to 'human' or 'people'.

Just like Kanô took 'jûdô' from his own Kitô-ryû parent school instead of the name being either new or original as sometimes purported (Kanô's own menjô in Kitô-ryû clearly reads "Kitô-ryû jûdô", not "jûjutsu" but made it more known world known than the jûdô of Kitô-ryû and that jûdô of Jikishin-ryû and named it (Nihonden) Kôdôkan jûdô, nothing prevents someone else from starting or developing their own jûdô. That doing so will likely provoke some frowning is something else, but it certainly is not illegal nor in itself any less moral than how Kanô proceeded.

While no doubt a rank of 9th dan is extremely high in Kôdôkan jûdô, this has little relevance for a dan-rank in go or a different school. The two are not the same, and likely follow different standards. Nor is there anything that says that anyone graded himself. People who found new schools might have been ranked by others, or even students just like a brown belt in the Kôdôkan in 2006 gave out three 10th dan-promotions.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:48 am

Guess we have exhausted this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:08 pm