E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Question regarding new rules...

TJCuchi_mata
    TJCuchi_mata

Question regarding new rules... Empty Question regarding new rules...

Post by TJCuchi_mata Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:07 am

Hello, new member here. My name is Chris, an Ikkyu from Western PA, Pittsburgh area. I'm glad to find a judo forum that fellow judoka are using on a regular basis. I noticed judoforum.com is dead? or not much posting activity and the bjj forum sites that have a section devoted to judo are mostly bjj players with biased or newbie posts. So anyways to my question...

Regarding the new rules, are you allowed to grab the pants to break/pass guard once in newaza, either from standing or knees on that mat? I'm also a bjj player, at least part time (I prefer judo and devote more to it), and at our bjj school we devote a large percentage of time to passing guard. The majority of successful passes we work involve passing standing and you need to grab the legs. It's my passing preference to stand up in base, address the legs and pass. I've found in the past when I was in the lower color belt ranks, I would pass this way in judo shiai and it's a easy pin and win if done fast/explosive enough.

Now, to devils advocate myself, I just competed this past weekend for the first time in over a year ( due to injuries) at a local tournament. They surprisingly had a national level ref there. I grabbed the pants to pass, and was unsuccessful as I'm finding out the men's senior black belt division is a different animal from the color belt competition level. I never got called for it, or for a two handed break that I did once, but I got called for a shido for cross facing from the bottom of half guard while my opponent was grinding my face off trying to get a choke. Go figure I guess? I know this is a all a grey area, and I have some bigger tournaments planned in the future so I was wondering what others thought or have experienced in shiai? USA judo doesn't help make anything more clear either because they say the rules are to be followed in IJF sanctioned tournaments, well what about local USJI/USJF/USJA tournaments? What a mess this is creating Mad

Last edited by TJCuchi_mata on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
    Davaro
    Davaro

Question regarding new rules... Empty Re: Question regarding new rules...

Post by Davaro Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 am

As soon as you engage in newaza, you can grab the pants/below the belt. Do not do it until you are actually in newaza or you will be called. If you are both down, you can stand to pass although some refs may call matte as soon as you stand up, especially not knowing your intentions.

You should be called for a two-handed grip break though so consider yourself lucky there...
    TJCuchi_mata
    TJCuchi_mata

Post by TJCuchi_mata Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks for the clarification. My coach is a older judoka, that is mainly a tachi waza, get your grip and go, don't burn yourself out on the mat, type player so he wasn't sure either. He just says stay away from the legs all together. I guess to an extent, good advice all around now? lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:23 pm