E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Letter from James Pedro, Sr.

Jerry Hays

Letter from James Pedro, Sr. Empty Letter from James Pedro, Sr.

Post by Jerry Hays Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:11 am

The previous posted Open Letter to all USA Judo Members & Affiliates from James Pedro, Sr. has been removed, per his request.

Last edited by Jerry Hays on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    Stacey
    Stacey

Letter from James Pedro, Sr. Empty Re: Letter from James Pedro, Sr.

Post by Stacey Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:11 am

I'm with you. I'm shocked at how poor US Judoka are, and how much they need to self fund everything. How can we develop judo if every athlete has to fork over every dollar they can earn to try to get the points and experience necessary to perform to the best of their abilities on the world stage?

I personally would donate to specific athletes, but to get the tax break, I have to go through USA Judo. I have no confidence in USA Judo, so they don't get my funds.

It sucks that somebody as talented as Ronda had to work a desk at a gym to try to make ends meet while training for the Olympics. Once out of elite judo, she finally doesn't have to take craptastic jobs to train and fight. This is a recipe for really thinning the ranks of our elite judoka since they can actually earn money to train by leaving judo. Staying in judo places them below the poverty line working jobs that have to be understanding of the needs of an elite athlete. It simply doesn't work.

I, too, wonder what would happen if the salaried employees of USA Judo didn't get paid until the elite athletes were paid.

USA Judo: where's the money? Who's getting it? For what? When?

Do you really think people like Nick Delpopolo and Hannah Martin can afford traveling the world on the lack of budgets they have? Sometimes, they're flying solo, no coach, screw-ups on hotel rooms, extras coming out of the woodwork. How can we expect them to compete at judo when they have to be accountants, their own coaches, and provide their own logistics?

Let the judoka concentrate on judo. Pay them enough so that they can do what they love to do. If you keep this up, more and more will transfer to MMA. Further, fewer and fewer will get into judo to begin with.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:59 am

Stacey wrote:I'm with you.  ...
    Let the judoka concentrate on judo.  Pay them enough so that they can do what they love to do.  If you keep this up, more and more will transfer to MMA.  Further, fewer and fewer will get into judo to begin with.

I'm ... ambivalent.

- Jerry-sensei has my respect and support by definition, I read everything he sends out. His hard effort and the kindness he shows in sharing what he sees and hears broadens my judo knowledge substantially.
    - But ... considering all the places I can spend my money, and even if I do respect and admire the time and effort full-time judoka apply to their training, how much do I want to share in support of that con-job that is the modern Olympics? Most countries have sports ministries ... my country does not ... that suits me just fine.
    - That every dojo seems to be some kind of locally funded farm team ... I think clubs and orgs have to ask hard questions about this. Do we send money "up" to support a very few people, or do we open new clubs to fill in some of the blackout areas on our local judo map for example?
    - My membership in USA Judo is due ... I face the annual question about whether to continue to renew after decades of this habit, again the web site for doing so doesn't work, again my emails asking for help go unanswered. I'll probably do it, force of habit, illogical hope for change ... mostly to stay connected to the state organization.

Digressing from the topic, but another good question ... one also has to ask how much judo there is remaining in IJF judo? Are there other ways to teach and increase participation within the very broad landscape of judo? By sharpening our expenditure, do we alienate a large part of our dojo market?

Best of luck to all our young athletes ... but hard questions indeed in addition to the ones Mr. Pedro correctly suggests.
    Jerry Hays

Post by Jerry Hays Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 am

I sent an e-mail to the Board of Directors and Staff of USA Judo, asking for their comments on James Pedro, SR. letter.

This is the reply that I got from the President, Lance Nading - Jerry,
    I know your acting from the heart as a concerned American Judoka. But, your question via this pseudo chat room is not appropriate or professional. The Board will not now not ever conduct business in this manner. This is the only correspondence you'll be getting from me on this topic.
    Much respect,
    Lance
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:39 am

Here's the thing, and correct me if I'm wrong, but we have USJA and USJF to supply grassroots judo. And I pay to support them, as that's my peeps right there - those are the people who get the dojo going, run the clinics for jamokes like me, do camps, etc.

USA Judo? Aren't they the ones who're supposed to be dealing with the elite? Yeah, a lot of us have dual or triple membership in all three organizations. Most of us who are members of USA Judo are members so that our membership dollars help to fund the elites. Except when USA Judo's arguing with the other two, there's no real advantage to having membership in more than one organization, and most of us would prefer the org that serves us best - USJF in some areas and USJA in others.

I like being FB friends with many of the US elite athletes. I also like being FB friends with elites from other countries. I do get frustrated with what I hear about funding. Yes, I shouldn't compare with other countries, but I do. I also remember talking with some USOC wrestlers who thought they were poor until they met the judoka, who redefined poor.

btw, I like being FB friends with all the non elite judoka as well - it makes our small world a lot less spread out. But that's not the point of this thread.

To me, there's a problem. I want to know when was the last time a salaried USA Judo employee had to wait more than one pay period to get his/her compensation. Promises of compensation are great, but the electric company will still turn off your power if you only pay with promises.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 am

Jerry Hays wrote:I sent an e-mail to the Board of Directors and Staff of USA Judo, asking for their comments on James Pedro, SR. letter.

This is the reply that I got from the President, Lance Nading - Jerry,
    I know your acting from the heart as a concerned American Judoka. But, your question via this pseudo chat room is not appropriate or professional. The Board will not now not ever conduct business in this manner. This is the only correspondence you'll be getting from me on this topic.
    Much respect,
    Lance

awfully sporting of the man
    Jerry Hays

Letter from James Pedro, Sr. Empty Update from Jim Pedro Sr.

Post by Jerry Hays Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:49 am

This is the latest post from James Pedro, Sr.

To All USA Judo Members & Affiliates,

USA Judo has read the letter that I posted today, I have removed my letter after speaking with the USA Judo President Lance Nading I was “promised” & “assured” that all the problems we have and have had with our athletes will be taken care of and we will FINALLY have our program in place for the next three years so we can accomplish our goals at the 2016 Olympic Games. I would like to personally thank everybody who read and supported my letter. Hopefully, USA Judo will be on the upswing again.
    Thank You,

Jim Pedro Sr.
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 pm

It's almost like to participate in judo you take a vow of poverty. Athletes can't scratch out a living without a gimmick, endorsements, or constantly traveling doing clinics or guest lectures. Most clubs are volunteer only instructors.
    Krotty/TKD guys make a living at teaching it. Bjj guys make a living at it. Why is judo so damn poor? Other than a few guys running credit courses at college is anyone making a living on judo? Or does mutual benefit and welfare mean charity?
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:29 am

Interesting FB post from Nick Delpopolo today. Anybody who wants to help out so that he can take his coach to Rio and the Worlds can donate, and it's a tax write off for US citizens to go through the dojo which is a 501(c)(3).

https://www.facebook.com/NickDelpopolo/posts/624607070905487

Am I the only one who thinks it's whacked for a judoka to find out just a bit over a week before the event that USA Judo WON'T be paying for the guy's coach to go? Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit whacked for USA Judo to think that US judoka can perform at the top of their game when they're traveling solo, acting as their own coach, and doing everything necessary off the tatami?
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:28 am

Stacey wrote:Interesting FB post from Nick Delpopolo today.  Anybody who wants to help out so that he can take his coach to Rio and the Worlds can donate, and it's a tax write off for US citizens to go through the dojo which is a 501(c)(3).

https://www.facebook.com/NickDelpopolo/posts/624607070905487

Am I the only one who thinks it's whacked for a judoka to find out just a bit over a week before the event that USA Judo WON'T be paying for the guy's coach to go?  Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit whacked for USA Judo to think that US judoka can perform at the top of their game when they're traveling solo, acting as their own coach, and doing everything necessary off the tatami?

Your right. Its whacked to think otherwise....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 am